- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 953937, 11 pages
Cancer, Fertility Preservation, and Future Pregnancy: A Comprehensive Review
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Carolinas Medical Center, P.O. Box 32861, Charlotte, NC 28232, USA
2Blumenthal Cancer Center, Carolinas Medical Center, 1025 Morehead Medical Drive, Charlotte, NC 28204, USA
Received 13 September 2011; Accepted 5 December 2011
Academic Editor: Einat Shalom-Paz
Copyright © 2012 Michelle L. Matthews et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Cancer Facts and Figures, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2011.
- A. Jemal, T. Murray, E. Ward et al., “Cancer statistics, 2005,” CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 10–30, 2005.
- J. Carter, D. S. Chi, C. L. Brown et al., “Cancer-related infertility in survivorship,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 2–8, 2010.
- A. H. Partridge, S. Gelber, J. Peppercorn et al., “Web-based survey of fertility issues in young women with breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 20, pp. 4174–4183, 2004.
- J. Carter, L. Raviv, L. Applegarth et al., “A cross-sectional study of the psychosexual impact of cancer-related infertility in women: third-party reproductive assistance,” Journal of Cancer Survivorship, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 236–246, 2010.
- S. J. Lee, L. R. Schover, A. H. Partridge et al., “American Society of Clinical Oncology recommendations on fertility preservation in cancer patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 18, pp. 2917–2931, 2006.
- G. P. Quinn, S. T. Vadaparampil, J. H. Lee et al., “Physician referral for fertility preservation in oncology patients: a national study of practice behaviors,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 35, pp. 5952–5957, 2009.
- E. J. Forman, C. K. Anders, and M. A. Behera, “A nationwide survey of oncologists regarding treatment-related infertility and fertility preservation in female cancer patients,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1652–1656, 2010.
- S. Lee, E. Heytens, F. Moy, S. Ozkavukcu, and K. Oktay, “Determinants of access to fertility preservation in women with breast cancer,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 1931–1936, 2011.
- M. R. Viera, S. Liu, A. Idriss, and P. Stratton, “Conveying future fertility risk to patients participating in clinical trials using total body irradiation or cytotoxic agents,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 92, supplement 3, p. S184, 2009.
- M. Bianchi, “Cytotoxic insult to germinal tissue—part 2: the ovary,” in Cytotoxic Insult to Tissue: Effects on Cell Lineages, C. S. Potten and J. H. Hendry, Eds., pp. 309–328, Churchill- Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 1983.
- W. H. B. Wallace, A. B. Thomson, and T. W. Kelsey, “The radiosensitivity of the human oocyte,” Human Reproduction, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 117–121, 2003.
- H. O. Critchley and W. H. Wallace, “Impact of cancer treatment on uterine function,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute Monographs, no. 34, pp. 64–68, 2005.
- H. O.D. Critchley, C. H. Buckley, and D. C. Anderson, “Experience with a ‘physiological’ steroid replacement regimen for the establishment of a receptive endometrium in women with premature ovarian failure,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 804–810, 1990.
- E. D. Larsen, K. Schmiegelow, C. Rechnitzer, et al., “Radiotherapy at a young age reduced uterine volume of childhood cancer survivors,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 83, pp. 96–102, 2004.
- T. Ajala, J. Rafi, P. Larsen-Disney, and R. Howell, “Fertility preservation for cancer patents: a review,” Obstetrics and Gynecology International, vol. 2010, Article ID 160386, 9 pages, 2010.
- R. T. Scott, M. S. Opsahl, M. R. Leonardi, G. S. Neall, E. H. Illions, and D. Navot, “Life table analysis of pregnancy rates in a general infertility population relative to ovarian reserve and patient age,” Human Reproduction, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1706–1710, 1995.
- I. A. J. Van Rooij, F. J. M. Broekmans, G. J. Scheffer et al., “Serum antimüllerian hormone levels best reflect the reproductive decline with age in normal women with proven fertility: a longitudinal study,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 979–987, 2005.
- D. J. Hendriks, B. W. J. Mol, L. F. Bancsi, E. R. Te Velde, and F. J. M. Broekmans, “Antral follicle count in the prediction of poor ovarian response and pregnancy after in vitro fertilization: a meta-analysis and comparison with basal follicle-stimulating hormone level,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 291–301, 2005.
- H. I. Su, “Measuring ovarian function in young cancer survivors,” Minerva Endocrinologica, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 259–270, 2010.
- R. A. Anderson and D. A. Cameron, “Pretreatment serum anti-müllerian hormone predicts long-term ovarian function and bone mass after chemotherapy for early breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 1336–1343, 2011.
- R. A. Anderson and W. H. B. Wallace, “Fertility preservation in girls and young women,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 409–419, 2011.
- M. R. S. Cruz, J. C. Prestes, D. L. Gimenes, and M. F. Fanelli, “Fertility preservation in women with breast cancer undergoing adjuvant chemotherapy: a systematic review,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 138–143, 2010.
- F. Recchia, G. Saggio, G. Amiconi et al., “Gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues added to adjuvant chemotherapy protect ovarian function and improve clinical outcomes in young women with early breast carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 514–523, 2006.
- M. C. Hulvat and J. S. Jeruss, “Maintaining fertility in young women with breast cancer,” Current Treatment Options in Oncology, vol. 10, no. 5-6, pp. 308–317, 2009.
- R. Riggs, J. Mayer, D. Dowling-Lacey, T. F. Chi, E. Jones, and S. Oehninger, “Does storage time influence postthaw survival and pregnancy outcome? An analysis of 11,768 cryopreserved human embryos,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 109–115, 2010.
- Ethics Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, “Fertility preservation and reproduction in cancer patients,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1622–1628, 2005.
- C. Chen, “Pregnancy after human oocyte cryopreservation,” Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8486, pp. 884–886, 1986.
- J. Saragusty and A. Arav, “Current progress in oocyte and embryo cryopreservation by slow freezing and vitrification,” Reproduction, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 2011.
- E. Porcu, A. Bazzocchi, L. Notarangelo, R. Paradisi, C. Landolfo, and S. Venturoli, “Human oocyte cryopreservation in infertility and oncology,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 529–535, 2008.
- A. Cobo and C. Diaz, “Clinical application of oocyte vitrification: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 277–285, 2011.
- K. Oktay, E. Buyuk, L. Veeck et al., “Embryo development after heterotopic transplantation of cryopreserved ovarian tissue,” Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9412, pp. 837–840, 2004.
- M. Rosendahl, A. Loft, A. G. Byskov et al., “Biochemical pregnancy after fertilization of an oocyte aspirated from a heterotopic autotransplant of cryopreserved ovarian tissue: case Report,” Human Reproduction, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 2006–2009, 2006.
- K. Oktay and G. Karlikaya, “Ovarian function after transplantation of frozen, banked autologous ovarian tissue,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 25, p. 1919, 2000.
- J. Donnez, M. M. Dolmans, D. Demylle, et al., “Live birth after orthotopic transplantation of cryopreserved ovarian tissue,” Lancet, vol. 364, pp. 1405–1410, 2004.
- E. Ernst, S. Bergholdt, J. S. Jørgensen, and C. Y. Andersen, “The first woman to give birth to two children following transplantation of frozen/thawed ovarian tissue,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1280–1281, 2010.
- R. C. Chian, J. Y. J. Huang, L. Gilbert et al., “Obstetric outcomes following vitrification of in vitro and in vivo matured oocytes,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 2391–2398, 2009.
- M. Sönmezer, I. Türküolu, U. Cokun, and K. Oktay, “Random-start controlled ovarian hyperstimulation for emergency fertility preservation in letrozole cycles,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 2125.e9–225.e11, 2011.
- K. Oktay, E. Buyuk, O. Davis, I. Yermakova, L. Veeck, and Z. Rosenwaks, “Fertility preservation in breast cancer patients: IVF and embryo cryopreservation after ovarian stimulation with tamoxifen,” Human Reproduction, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 90–95, 2003.
- K. Oktay, “Further evidence on the safety and success of ovarian stimulation with letrozole and tamoxifen in breast cancer patients undergoing in vitro fertilization to cryopreserve their embryos for fertility preservation,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 16, pp. 3858–3860, 2005.
- Z. P. Nagy, C. C. Chang, H. I. Kort, A. A. Toledo, S. M. Slayden, and D. B. Shapiro, “Comparison of vitrified/warmed donated oocyte treatment outcomes in GnRH-antagonist cycles where hCG or Lupron was used to trigger ovulation,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. s160–s161, 2010.
- A. Rosen, “Third-party reproduction and adoption in cancer patients,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, no. 34, pp. 91–93, 2005.
- L. Campo-Engelstein, “Consistency in insurance coverage for iatrogenic conditions resulting from cancer treatment including fertility preservation,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1284–1286, 2010.
- L. N. Beck, M. Sileo, and A. B. Copperman, “The average cost of fertility preservation for female cancer patients,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 94, no. 4, p. s105, 2010.
- B. E. Friedman, K. O’Leary, and L. M. Westphal, “Follow-up survey of cancer survivors who underwent ovarian stimulation for fertility preservation,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 95, no. 4, supplement, pp. S12–S13, 2011.
- S. D. Fosså, H. Magelssen, K. Melve, A. B. Jacobsen, F. Langmark, and R. Skjaerven, “Parenthood in survivors after adulthood cancer and perinatal health in their offspring: a preliminary report,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Monographs, no. 34, pp. 77–82, 2005.
- E. De Bree, A. Makrigiannakis, J. Askoxylakis, J. Melissas, and D. D. Tsiftsis, “Pregnancy after breast cancer. A comprehensive review,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 534–542, 2010.
- E. Fenig, M. Mishaeli, Y. Kalish, and M. Lishner, “Pregnancy and radiation,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2001.
- B. A. Mueller, E. J. Chow, A. Kamineni et al., “Pregnancy outcomes in female childhood and adolescent cancer survivors: a linked cancer-birth registry analysis,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 163, no. 10, pp. 879–886, 2009.
- P. Harper, Practical Genetic Counseling, Hodder Arnold, London, UK, 6th edition, 2004.
- N. Rahner and V. Steinke, “Hereditary cancer syndromes,” Deutsches Arzteblatt, vol. 105, no. 41, pp. 706–714, 2008.
- K. Offit, K. Kohut, B. Clagett et al., “Cancer genetic testing and assisted reproduction,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 29, pp. 4775–4782, 2006.
- K. Hudson, S. Baruch, and G. Javitt, “Genetic testing of human embryos: ethical challenges and policy choices,” in Expanding Horizons in Bioethics, A. Galson and C. Peppard, Eds., pp. 103–122, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2005.
- G. Quinn, S. Vadaparampil, C. Wilson et al., “Attitudes of high-risk women toward preimplantation genetic diagnosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 2361–2368, 2009.
- R. Sankila, S. Heinavaara, and T. Hakulinen, “Survival of breast cancer patients after subsequent term pregnancy: “Healthy mother effect”,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 170, no. 3, pp. 818–823, 1994.
- J. C. Harvey, P. P. Rosen, R. Ashikari, et al., “The effect of pregnancy on the prognosis of carcinoma of the breast following radical mastectomy,” Surgery Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 153, no. 5, pp. 723–725, 1981.
- L. Mignot, F. Morvan, J. Berdah, et al., “Pregnancy after breast-cancer. Results of a case-control study,” Presse Medicale, vol. 15, no. 39, pp. 1961–1964, 1986.
- B. A. Mueller, M. S. Simon, D. Deapen, A. Kamineni, K. E. Malone, and J. R. Daling, “Childbearing and survival after breast carcinoma in young women,” Cancer, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1131–1140, 2003.
- R. M. Clark and T. Chua, “Breast cancer and pregnancy: the ultimate challenge,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 1989.
- A. Ives, C. Saunders, M. Bulsara, and J. Semmens, “Pregnancy after breast cancer: population based study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 334, no. 7586, pp. 194–196, 2007.
- H. A. Azim, L. Santoro, N. Pavlidis et al., “Safety of pregnancy following breast cancer diagnosis: a meta-analysis of 14 studies,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 74–83, 2011.
- A. Valachis, L. Tsali, L. L. Pesce et al., “Safety of pregnancy after primary breast carcinoma in young women: a meta-analysis to overcome bias of healthy mother effect studies,” Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 786–793, 2010.
- S. Asztalos, P. H. Gann, M. K. Hayes et al., “Gene expression patterns in the human breast after pregnancy,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 301–311, 2010.
- O. Pagani, K. N. Price, R. D. Gelber et al., “Patterns of recurrence of early breast cancer according to estrogen receptor status: a therapeutic target for a quarter of a century,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 319–324, 2009.
- M. H. Shiu, D. Schottenfeld, B. Maclean, and J. G. Fortner, “Adverse effect of pregnancy on melanoma: a reappraisal,” Cancer, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 181–187, 1976.
- C. Riberti, G. Mrola, and A. Vertani, “Malignant melanoma: the adverse effect of pregnancy,” British Journal of Plastic Surgery, vol. 34, pp. 338–339, 1981.
- A.-S. Chao, A. Chao, C.-J. Wang, C.-H. Lai, and H.-S. Wang, “Obstetric outcomes of pregnancy after conservative treatment of endometrial cancer: case series and literature review,” Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 2011.
- I. Kalogiannidis and T. Agorastos, “Conservative management of young patients with endometrial highly-differentiated adenocarcinoma,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 2011.