- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 364526, 8 pages
Trimethoprim Use prior to Pregnancy and the Risk of Congenital Malformation: A Register-Based Nationwide Cohort Study
1Laboratory of Clinical Pharmacology, Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
2Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 Copenhagen, Denmark
3Center for Healthy Ageing, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 3, 2200 Copenhagen, Denmark
4Mental Health Centre Copenhagen, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 Copenhagen, Denmark
5The Heart Centre, Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
6Department of Cardiology, Gentofte University Hospital, Niels Andersens Vej 65, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
7Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 3, 2200 Copenhagen, Denmark
Received 26 November 2012; Accepted 11 January 2013
Academic Editor: J. C. Morrison
Copyright © 2013 Jon Trærup Andersen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. I. Schweitzer, A. P. Dicker, and J. R. Bertino, “Dihydrofolate reductase as a therapeutic target,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 2441–2452, 1990.
- S. Hernández-Díaz, M. M. Werler, A. M. Walker, and A. A. Mitchell, “Folic acid antagonists during pregnancy and the risk of birth defects,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 22, pp. 1608–1614, 2000.
- S. Hernández-Díaz, M. M. Werler, A. M. Walker, and A. A. Mitchell, “Neural tube defects in relation to use of folic acid antagonists during pregnancy,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 153, no. 10, pp. 961–968, 2001.
- L. D. Botto, M. J. Khoury, J. Mulinare, and J. D. Erickson, “Periconceptional multivitamin use and the occurrence of conotruncal heart defects: results from a population-based, case-control study,” Pediatrics, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 911–917, 1996.
- A. E. Czeizel, “Reduction of urinary tract and cardiovascular defects by periconceptional multivitamin supplementation,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 179–183, 1996.
- A. E. Czeizel, M. Toth, and M. Rockenbauer, “Population-based case control study of folic acid supplementation during pregnancy,” Teratology, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 345–351, 1996.
- M. M. Werler, C. Hayes, C. Louik, S. Shapiro, and A. A. Mitchell, “Multivitamin supplementation and risk of birth defects,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 150, no. 7, pp. 675–682, 1999.
- Q. Yang, M. J. Khoury, R. S. Olney, and J. Mulinare, “Does periconceptional multivitamin use reduce the risk for limb deficiency in offspring?” Epidemiology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 157–161, 1997.
- R. J. Berry, Z. Li, J. D. Erickson et al., “Prevention of neural-tube defects with folic acid in China. China-U.S. Collaborative Project for Neural Tube Defect Prevention,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 20, pp. 1485–1490, 1999.
- “Prevention of neural tube defects: results of the Medical Research Council Vitamin Study. MRC Vitamin Study Research Group,” The Lancet, vol. 338, no. 8760, pp. 131–137, 1991.
- UNAIDS, Provisional WHO/UNAIDS Secretariat Recommendations on the Use of Cotrimoxazole Prophylaxis in Adults and Children Living with HIV/AIDS in Africa, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland, 2000.
- L. B. Knudsen, “The Danish fertility database,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 221–225, 1998.
- D. Gaist, H. T. Sørensen, and J. Hallas, “The Danish prescription registries,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 445–448, 1997.
- T. F. Andersen, M. Madsen, J. Jørgensen, L. Mellemkjær, and J. H. Olsen, “The Danish National Hospital Register: a valuable source of data for modern health sciences,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 263–268, 1999.
- European Surveillance of Congenital Anomalies, EUROCAT Guide 1. 3 and Reference Documents, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland, 2005.
- A. E. Donnenfeld, A. Pastuszak, J. S. Noah, B. Schick, N. C. Rose, and G. Koren, “Methotrexate exposure prior to and during pregnancy,” Teratology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 79–81, 1994.
- “Labeling and prescription drug advertising: content and format for labeling for human prescription drugs,” Federal Register, vol. 44, no. 124, pp. 37434–37467, 1979.
- Statistics Denmark, “Containing detailed statistical information on the Danish Society,” 2008, http://www.dst.dk/HomeUK.aspx.
- E. Von Elm, D. G. Altman, M. Egger, S. J. Pocock, P. C. Gøtzsche, and J. P. Vandenbroucke, “The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies,” Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 800–804, 2007.
- Y. M. Smulders, A. M. E. de Man, C. D. A. Stehouwer, and E. H. Slaats, “Trimethoprim and fasting plasma homocysteine,” The Lancet, vol. 352, no. 9143, pp. 1827–1828, 1998.
- L. B. Rasmussen, N. L. Andersen, G. Andersson et al., “Folate and neural tube defects. Recommendations from a Danish working group,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 213–217, 1998.
- V. K. Knudsen, I. Orozova-Bekkevold, L. B. Rasmussen, T. B. Mikkelsen, K. F. Michaelsen, and S. F. Olsen, “Low compliance with recommendations on folic acid use in relation to pregnancy: is there a need for fortification?” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 843–850, 2004.
- H. T. Sørensen, I. Hansen, E. Ejlersen, S. Sabroe, and H. Hamburger, “Identification of patients treated with strong analgesics: an assessment of two Danish information systems with respect to epidemiological research,” Journal of Medical Systems, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 57–65, 1996.
- H. Larsen, G. L. Nielsen, J. Bendsen, C. Flint, J. Olsen, and H. T. Sørensen, “Predictive value and completeness of the registration of congenital abnormalities in three Danish population-based registries,” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 12–16, 2003.
- L. T. de Jong van den Berg, N. Feenstra, H. T. Sorensen, and M. C. Cornel, “Improvement of drug exposure data in a registration of congenital anomalies. Pilot-study: pharmacist and mother as sources for drug exposure data during pregnancy. EuroMAP Group. Europen Medicine and Pregnancy Group,” Teratology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 1999.
- M. E. Allison, A. C. Kennedy, J. McGeachie, and G. A. McDonald, “Sulphamethoxazole-trimethoprim therapy in urinary tract infection with reference to its haematological effects,” Scottish Medical Journal, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 355–360, 1969.
- O. Naderer, A. N. Nafziger, and J. S. Bertino Jr., “Effects of moderate-dose versus high-dose trimethoprim on serum creatinine and creatinine clearance and adverse reactions,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 2466–2470, 1997.
- I. H. Robenberg, “Drugs and folic acid absorption,” Gastroenterology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 353–357, 1972.
- K. Visser, W. Katchamart, E. Loza et al., “Multinational evidence-based recommendations for the use of methotrexate in rheumatic disorders with a focus on rheumatoid arthritis: integrating systematic literature research and expert opinion of a broad international panel of rheumatologists in the 3E initiative,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 1086–1093, 2009.
- K. K. Viktil, A. Engeland, and K. Furu, “Outcomes after anti-rheumatic drug use before and during pregnancy: a cohort study among 150, 000 pregnant women and expectant fathers,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 196–201, 2012.
- ABPI Compendium of Data Sheets and Summaries of Product Characteristics 1996-97, Datapharm Publications, 1996.
- M. E. Lloyd, M. Carr, P. McElhatton, G. M. Hall, and R. A. Hughes, “The effects of methotrexate on pregnancy, fertility and lactation,” QJM, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 551–563, 1999.
- J. Stover and M. Fahnestock, Coverage of Selected Services for HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care, and Treatment in Low- and Middle-Income Countries in 2005, Constella Futures, POLICY Project, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- UNAIDS, Report on the Global HIV/AIDS Epidemic 2008, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- R. A. Howe, “Over the counter medicines: don't include trimethoprim,” British Medical Journal, vol. 336, no. 7648, p. 787, 2008.
- “Better news on population,” The Lancet, vol. 339, no. 8809, p. 1600, 1992.
- S. Z. Wiktor, M. Sassan-Morokro, A. D. Grant et al., “Efficacy of trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole prophylaxis to decrease morbidity and mortality in HIV-1-infected patients with tuberculosis in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire: a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9163, pp. 1469–1475, 1999.
- A. J. Nunn, P. Mwaba, C. Chintu, A. Mwinga, J. H. Darbyshire, and A. Zumla, “Role of co-trimoxazole prophylaxis in reducing mortality in HIV infected adults being treated for tuberculosis: randomised clinical trial,” British Medical Journal, vol. 337, no. 7663, pp. 220–223, 2008.
- J. Mermin, J. Lule, J. P. Ekwaru et al., “Effect of co-trimoxazole prophylaxis on morbidity, mortality, CD4-cell count, and viral load in HIV infection in rural Uganda,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9443, pp. 1428–1434, 2004.