- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 473289, 6 pages
Is ICSI Risky?
1School of Women’s and Children’s Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
2Royal Hospital for Women, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
Received 25 October 2012; Accepted 26 January 2013
Academic Editor: Everett Magann
Copyright © 2013 May Y. W. Wong and William L. Ledger. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Palermo, H. Joris, P. Devroey, and A. C. Van Steirteghem, “Pregnancies after intracytoplasmic injection of single spermatozoon into an oocyte,” The Lancet, vol. 340, no. 8810, pp. 17–18, 1992.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC), “2009 Success Rates Assisted Reproductive Technologies. American Society for Reproductive Medicine & Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology [Internet],” 2011.
- S. Oehninger, “Place of intracytoplasmic sperm injection in management of male infertility,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9274, pp. 2068–2069, 2001.
- Z. P. Nagy, J. Liu, H. Joris et al., “The result of intracytoplasmic sperm injection is not related to any of the three basic sperm parameters,” Human Reproduction, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1123–1129, 1995.
- S. Oehninger, L. Veeck, S. Lanzendorf, M. Maloney, J. Toner, and S. Muasher, “Intracytoplasmic sperm injection: achievement of high pregnancy rates in couples with severe male factor infertility is dependent primarily upon female and not male factors,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 977–981, 1995.
- P. Devroey and A. Van Steirteghem, “A review of ten years experience of ICSI,” Human Reproduction Update, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 2004.
- J. de Mouzon, V. Goossens, S. Bhattacharya et al., “Assisted reproductive technology in Europe, 2006: results generated from European registers by ESHRE,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1851–1862, 2010.
- A. N. Andersen, V. Goossens, S. Bhattacharya et al., “Assisted reproductive technology and intrauterine inseminations in Europe, 2005: results generated from European registers by ESHRE,” Human Reproduction, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1267–1287, 2009.
- S. Oehninger and R. G. Gosden, “Should ICSI be the treatment of choice for all cases of in-vitro conception? No, not in light of the scientific data,” Human Reproduction, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2237–2242, 2002.
- A. Nyboe, E. Carlsen, and A. Loft, “Trends in the use of intracytoplasmatic sperm injection marked variability between countries,” Human Reproduction Update, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 593–604, 2008.
- M. J. Davies, V. M. Moore, K. J. Willson et al., “Reproductive technologies and the risk of birth defects,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 19, pp. 1803–1813, 2012.
- A. G. Sutcliffe and M. Ludwig, “Outcome of assisted reproduction,” The Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9584, pp. 351–359, 2007.
- M. Hansen, C. Bower, E. Milne, N. de Klerk, and J. J. Kurinczuk, “Assisted reproductive technologies and the risk of birth defects: a systematic review,” Human Reproduction, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 328–338, 2005.
- M. Hansen, J. J. Kurinczuk, C. Bower, and S. Webb, “The risk of major birth defects after intracytoplasmic sperm injection and in vitro fertilization,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 10, pp. 725–730, 2002.
- R. T. Lie, A. Lyngstadaas, K. H. Ørstavik, L. S. Bakketeig, G. Jacobsen, and T. Tanbo, “Birth defects in children conceived by ICSI compared with children conceived by other IVF-methods; a meta-analysis,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 696–701, 2005.
- K. Aittomäki, U. B. Wennerholm, C. Bergh, A. Selbing, J. Hazekamp, and K. G. Nygren, “Safety issues in assisted reproduction technology. Should ICSI patients have genetic testing before treatment? A practical proposition to help patient information,” Human Reproduction, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 472–476, 2004.
- E. Marchina, L. Imperadori, M. Speziani, U. Omodei, S. Tombesi, and S. Barlati, “Chromosome abnormalities and Yq microdeletions in infertile Italian couples referred for assisted reproductive technique,” Sexual Development, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 347–352, 2008.
- R. J. Aitken and C. Krausz, “Oxidative stress, DNA damage and the Y chromosome,” Reproduction, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 497–506, 2001.
- R. J. Aitken and G. N. De Luliis, “Value of DNA integrity assays for fertility evaluation,” Society of Reproduction and Fertility supplement, vol. 65, pp. 81–92, 2007.
- B. Rosenbusch and K. Sterzik, “Sperm chromosomes and habitual abortion,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 370–372, 1991.
- C. Feng, L. Q. Wang, M. Y. Dong, and H. F. Huang, “Assisted reproductive technology may increase clinical mutation detection in male offspring,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 92–96, 2008.
- C. M. Kai, K. M. Main, A. N. Andersen, A. Loft, N. E. Skakkebæk, and A. Juul, “Reduced serum testosterone levels in infant boys conceived by intracytoplasmic sperm injection,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 2598–2603, 2007.
- A. K. Ludwig, A. Katalinic, U. Thyen, A. G. Sutcliffe, K. Diedrich, and M. Ludwig, “Physical health at 5.5 years of age of term-born singletons after intracytoplasmic sperm injection: results of a prospective, controlled, single-blinded study,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 115–124, 2009.
- Q. V. Neri, T. Takeuchi, and G. D. Palermo, “An update of assisted reproductive technologies results in the United States,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1127, pp. 41–48, 2008.
- C. Allen and W. Reardon, “Assisted reproduction technology and defects of genomic imprinting,” BJOG, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1589–1594, 2005.
- D. Lucifero, J. R. Chaillet, and J. M. Trasler, “Potential significance of genomic imprinting defects for reproduction and assisted reproductive technology,” Human Reproduction Update, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 3–18, 2004.
- C. Dupont, D. R. Armant, and C. A. Brenner, “Epigenetics: definition, mechanisms and clinical perspective,” Seminars in Reproductive Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 351–357, 2009.
- U. B. Wennerholm, V. Söderström-Anttila, C. Bergh et al., “Children born after cryopreservation of embryos or oocytes: a systematic review of outcome data,” Human Reproduction, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2158–2172, 2009.
- M. Bonduelle, U. B. Wennerholm, A. Loft et al., “A multi-centre cohort study of the physical health of 5-year-old children conceived after intracytoplasmic sperm injection, in vitro fertilization and natural conception,” Human Reproduction, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 413–419, 2005.
- B. Källén, O. Finnström, K. G. Nygren, and P. O. Olausson, “In vitro fertilization (IVF) in Sweden: risk for congenital malformations after different IVF methods,” Birth Defects Research Part A, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 162–169, 2005.
- U. B. Wennerholm, C. Bergh, L. Hamberger et al., “Incidence of congenital malformations in children born after ICSI,” Human Reproduction, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 944–948, 2000.
- Medicine PCotASfR, “Practice Committee of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology: genetic considerations related to intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI),” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 86, p. S103, 2006.
- M. Bonduelle, E. Van Assche, H. Joris et al., “Prenatal testing in ICSI pregnancies: incidence of chromosomal anomalies in 1586 karyotypes and relation to sperm parameters,” Human Reproduction, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2600–2614, 2002.
- E. Basatemur, M. Shevlin, and A. Sutcliffe, “Growth of children conceived by IVF and ICSI up to 12 years of age,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 144–149, 2010.
- A. Ludwig, A. Katalinic, U. Thyen, A. G. Sutcliffe, K. Diedrich, and M. Ludwig, “Neuromotor development and mental health at 5.5 years of age of singletons born at term after intracytoplasmatic sperm injection ICSI: results of a prospective controlled single-blinded study in Germany,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 2009.
- A. M. Andersson, N. Jørgensen, K. M. Main et al., “Adverse trends in male reproductive health: we may have reached a crucial “tipping point”,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 74–80, 2008.
- J. M. Hotaling and T. J. Walsh, “Male infertility: a risk factor for testicular cancer,” Nature Reviews Urology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 550–556, 2009.
- D. P. Evenson, Z. Darzynkiewicz, and M. R. Melamed, “Relation of mammalian sperm chromatin heterogeneity to fertility,” Science, vol. 210, no. 4474, pp. 1131–1133, 1980.
- M. Bungum, P. Humaidan, A. Axmon et al., “Sperm DNA integrity assessment in prediction of assisted reproduction technology outcome,” Human Reproduction, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 174–179, 2007.
- A. Giwercman, L. Lindstedt, M. Larsson et al., “Sperm chromatin structure assay as an independent predictor of fertility in vivo: a case-control study,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. e221–e227, 2010.
- M. Spanò, J. P. Bonde, H. I. Hjøllund, H. A. Kolstad, E. Cordelli, and G. Leter, “Sperm chromatin damage impairs human fertility. The Danish First Pregnancy Planner Study Team,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2000.
- G. R. Aravindan, J. Bjordahl, L. K. Jost, and D. P. Evenson, “Susceptibility of human sperm to in situ DNA denaturation is strongly correlated with DNA strand breaks identified by single-cell electrophoresis,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 236, no. 1, pp. 231–237, 1997.
- B. L. Sailer, L. K. Jost, and D. P. Evenson, “Mammalian sperm DNA susceptibility to in situ denaturation associated with the presence of DNA strand breaks as measured by the terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase assay,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 80–87, 1995.
- R. Henkel, M. Hajimohammad, T. Stalf et al., “Influence of deoxyribonucleic acid damage on fertilization and pregnancy,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 965–972, 2004.
- J. Tesarik, E. Greco, and C. Mendoza, “Late, but not early, paternal effect on human embryo development is related to sperm DNA fragmentation,” Human Reproduction, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 611–615, 2004.
- C. F. Martins, M. N. Dode, S. N. Báo, and R. Rumpf, “The use of the acridine orange test and the TUNEL assay to assess the integrity of freeze-dried bovine spermatozoa DNA,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 94–104, 2007.
- S. E. M. Lewis, M. O'Connell, M. Stevenson, L. Thompson-Cree, and N. McClure, “An algorithm to predict pregnancy in assisted reproduction,” Human Reproduction, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1385–1394, 2004.
- C. M. Hughes, S. E. M. Lewis, V. J. McKelvey-Martin, and W. Thompson, “A comparison of baseline and induced DNA damage in human spermatozoa from fertile and infertile men, using a modified comet assay,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 613–619, 1996.
- E. T. Donnelly, E. Kristine Steele, N. McClure, and S. E. M. Lewis, “Assessment of DNA integrity and morphology of ejaculated spermatozoa from fertile and infertile men before and after cryopreservation,” Human Reproduction, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1191–1199, 2001.
- A. Thurin, J. Hausken, T. Hillensjö et al., “Elective single-embryo transfer versus double-embryo transfer in in vitro fertilization,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 23, pp. 2392–2402, 2004.
- J. J. Kurinczuk and C. Bower, “Birth defects in infants conceived by intracytoplasmic sperm injection: an alternative interpretation,” British Medical Journal, vol. 315, no. 7118, pp. 1260–1266, 1997.
- B. Källén, O. Finnström, A. Lindam, E. Nilsson, K. G. Nygren, and P. O. Otterblad, “Congenital malformations in infants born after in vitro fertilization in Sweden,” Birth Defects Research Part A, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 137–143, 2010.
- J. Wen, J. Jiang, C. Ding et al., “Birth defects in children conceived by in vitro fertilization and intracytoplasmic sperm injection: a meta-analysis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 1331–1337, 2012.
- J. Cummins, “Potential pitfalls in male reproductive technology,” in The Male Gamete: From Basic Science to Clinical Applications, C. Gagnon, Ed., pp. 417–427, Cache River Press, Vienna, Ill, USA, 1999.
- A. M. Jequier and J. M. Cummins, “Attitudes to clinical andrology: a time for change,” Human Reproduction, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 875–876, 1997.
- A. T. Kjellberg, P. Carlsson, and C. Bergh, “Randomized single versus double embryo transfer: obstetric and paediatric outcome and a cost-effectiveness analysis,” Human Reproduction, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 210–216, 2006.
- K. Silverberg, S. Daya, J. P. Auray et al., “Analysis of the cost effectiveness of recombinant versus urinary follicle-stimulating hormone in in vitro fertilization/intracytoplasmic sperm injection programs in the United States,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 107–113, 2002.
- A. Strandell, A. Lindhard, and I. Eckerlund, “Cost-effectiveness analysis of salpingectomy prior to IVF, based on a randomized controlled trial,” Human Reproduction, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 3284–3292, 2005.