- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 576723, 10 pages
Cervical Pessaries for the Prevention of Preterm Birth: A Systematic Review
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Academic Medical Center, P.O. Box 22770, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Received 20 December 2012; Accepted 25 February 2013
Academic Editor: Sebastián Illanes
Copyright © 2013 Sophie M. S. Liem et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. A. McDonald, “Suture of the cervix for inevitable miscarriage,” Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 346–350, 1957.
- V. N. Shirodkar, “A new method of operative treatment for habitual abortion in the second trimester of pregnancy,” Antiseptic, vol. 52, article 299, 1955.
- A. J. Drakeley, D. Roberts, and Z. Alfirevic, “Cervical stitch (cerclage) for preventing pregnancy loss in women,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD003253, 2003.
- Z. Alfirevic, T. Stampalija, D. Roberts, and A. L. Jorgensen, “Cervical stitch, (cerclage) for preventing preterm birth in singleton pregnancy,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 4, Article ID CD008991, 2012.
- V. Berghella, T. J. Rafael, J. M. Szychowski, O. A. Rust, and J. Owen, “Cerclage for short cervix on ultrasonography in women with singleton gestations and previous preterm birth: a meta-analysis,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 663–671, 2011.
- M. Vitsky, “Simple treatment of the incompetent cervical os,” American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 81, pp. 1194–1197, 1961.
- N. Becher, K. A. Waldorf, M. Hein, and N. Uldbjerg, “The cervical mucus plug: structured review of the literature,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 502–513, 2009.
- S. Oster and C. T. Javert, “Treatment of the incompetent cervix with the Hodge pessary,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 206–208, 1966.
- A. P. Verhagen, H. C. W. De Vet, R. A. De Bie et al., “The Delphi list: a criteria list for quality assessment of randomized clinical trials for conducting systematic reviews developed by Delphi consensus,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 1235–1241, 1998.
- R. G. Cross, “Treatment of habitual abortion due to cervical incompetence,” The Lancet, vol. 274, no. 7094, p. 127, 1959.
- L. Quaas, H. G. Hillemanns, A. Du Bois, and H. Schillinger, “The Arabin-cerclage pessary - Alternative to surgery,” Geburtshilfe und Frauenheilkunde, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 429–433, 1990.
- B. Arabin, J. R. Halbesma, F. Vork, M. Hübener, and J. Van Eyck, “Is treatment with vaginal pessaries an option in patients with a sonographically detected short cervix?” Journal of Perinatal Medicine, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 122–133, 2003.
- A. Antczak-Judycka, W. Sawicki, B. Spiewankiewicz, K. Cendrowski, and J. Stelmachów, “Comparison of cerclage and cerclage pessary in the treatment of pregnant women with incompetent cervix and threatened preterm delivery,” Ginekologia Polska, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 1029–1036, 2003.
- G. Acharya, B. Eschler, M. Grønberg, M. Hentemann, T. Ottersen, and J. M. Maltau, “Noninvasive cerclage for the management of cervical incompetence: A Prospective Study,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 273, no. 5, pp. 283–287, 2006.
- P. Sieroszewski, A. Jasiski, M. Perenc, R. Banach, and P. Oszukowski, “The Arabin pessary for the treatment of threatened mid-trimester miscarriage or premature labour and miscarriage: a case series,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 469–472, 2009.
- Z. Kimber-Trojnar, J. Patro-Małysza, B. Leszczyska-Gorzelak, B. Marciniak, and J. Oleszczuk, “Pessary use for the treatment of cervical incompetence and prevention of preterm labour,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1493–1499, 2010.
- F. Forster, R. During, and G. Schwarzlos, “Treatment of cervix incompetence - cerclage versus pessary,” Zentralblatt fur Gynakologie, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 230–237, 1986.
- G. Gmoser, F. Girardi, H. O. Mayer, J. Hermann, and J. Haas, “The support pessary–a therapeutic possibility in premature opening of the uterine cervix,” Gynakologische Rundschau, vol. 31, pp. 117–119, 1991.
- M. Goya, L. Pratcorona, C. Merced, et al., “Cervical pessary in pregnant women with a short cervix (PECEP): an open-label randomised controlled trial,” Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9828, pp. 1800–1806, 2012.
- S. Y. Hui, C. M. Chor, T. K. Lau, T. T. Lao, and T. Y. Leung, “Cerclage pessary for preventing preterm birth in women with a singleton pregnancy and a short cervix at 20 to 24 weeks: a randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Perinatology, 2012. In press.
- H. Blencowe, S. Cousens, M. Z. Oestergaard, et al., “National, regional, and worldwide estimates of preterm birth rates in the year 2010 with time trends since 1990 for selected countries: a systematic analysis and implications,” Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9832, pp. 2162–2172, 2012.
- J. M. G. Crane and D. Hutchens, “Transvaginal sonographic measurement of cervical length to predict preterm birth in asymptomatic women at increased risk: a systematic review,” Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 579–587, 2008.
- J. D. Iams, R. L. Goldenberg, P. J. Meis, et al., “The length of the cervix and the risk of spontaneous premature delivery. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Maternal Fetal Medicine Unit Network,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 334, no. 9, pp. 567–572, 1996.
- A. Jorde, K. Kastli, B. Hamann, and H. Pockrandt, “Detection of changes of the vaginal flora due to supporting pessary treatment during pregnancy,” Zentralblatt fur Gynakologie, vol. 105, no. 13, pp. 855–862, 1983.
- H. H. Chang, J. Larson, H. Blencowe, et al., “Preventing preterm births: analysis of trends and potential reductions with interventions in 39 countries with very high human development index,” Lancet, vol. 381, no. 9862, pp. 223–234, 2013.
- J. M. Schaaf, B. W. Mol, A. Abu-Hanna, and A. C. Ravelli, “Trends in preterm birth: singleton and multiple pregnancies in the Netherlands, 2000–2007,” BJOG, vol. 118, no. 10, pp. 1196–1204, 2011.
- J. A. Martin, B. E. Hamilton, S. J. Ventura, et al., “Births: final data for 2009,” National Vital Statistics Reports, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 1–70, 2011.