- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 576842, 9 pages
Feasibility of RNA and DNA Extraction from Fresh Pipelle and Archival Endometrial Tissues for Use in Gene Expression and SNP Arrays
1Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
2Division of Vaccine and Infectious Disease, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
4Department of Pathology, University of Washington Medical School, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
5Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
6Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
7Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
8The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
9The Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Received 8 May 2013; Accepted 22 August 2013
Academic Editor: Eric Prossnitz
Copyright © 2013 Heather D. Kissel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. I. Sorosky, “Endometrial cancer,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 120, no. 2, part 1, pp. 383–397, 2012.
- L. S. Massad, M. H. Einstein, W. K. Huh et al., “2012 updated consensus guidelines for the management of abnormal cervical cancer screening tests and cancer precursors,” Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease, vol. 17, no. 5, supplement 1, pp. S1–S27, 2013.
- R. J. Kurman, P. F. Kaminski, and H. J. Norris, “The behavior of endometrial hyperplasia. A long-term study of “untreated” hyperplasia in 170 patients,” Cancer, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 403–412, 1985.
- S. D. Reed, K. M. Newton, R. L. Garcia et al., “Complex hyperplasia with and without atypia: clinical outcomes and implications of progestin therapy,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 116, no. 2, part 1, pp. 365–373, 2010.
- J. V. Lacey Jr., O. B. Ioffe, B. M. Ronnett et al., “Endometrial carcinoma risk among women diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia: the 34-year experience in a large health plan,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 2008.
- K. H. Allison, E. Tenpenny, S. D. Reed, E. M. Swisher, and R. L. Garica, “Immunohistochemical markers in endometrial hyperplasia: is there a panel with promise? A review,” Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 329–343, 2008.
- K. H. Allison, S. D. Reed, L. F. Voigt, C. D. Jordan, K. M. Newton, and R. L. Garcia, “Diagnosing endometrial hyperplasia: why is it so difficult to agree?” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 691–698, 2008.
- S. D. Reed, L. F. Voigt, K. M. Newton et al., “Progestin therapy of complex endometrial hyperplasia with and without atypia,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 655–662, 2009.
- H. Liang, L. W. Cheung, J. Li et al., “Whole-exome sequencing combined with functional genomics reveals novel candidate driver cancer genes in endometrial cancer,” Genome Research, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 2120–2129, 2012.
- C. Kandoth, N. Schultz, A. D. Cherniack et al., “Integrated genomic characterization of endometrial carcinoma,” Nature, vol. 497, no. 7447, pp. 67–73, 2013.
- J. Y. Chung, T. Braunschweig, R. Williams et al., “Factors in tissue handling and processing that impact RNA obtained from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue,” The Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1033–1042, 2008.
- C. April, B. Klotzle, T. Royce et al., “Whole-genome gene expression profiling of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue samples,” PLoS One, vol. 4, no. 12, Article ID e8162, 2009.
- L. Mittempergher, J. J. de Ronde, M. Nieuwland et al., “Gene expression profiles from formalin fixed paraffin embedded breast cancer tissue are largely comparable to fresh frozen matched tissue,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e17163, 2011.
- N. Waddell, S. Cocciardi, J. Johnson et al., “Gene expression profiling of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded familial breast tumours using the whole genome-DASL assay,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 221, no. 4, pp. 452–461, 2010.
- M. G. Kibriya, F. Jasmine, S. Roy, R. M. Paul-Brutus, M. Argos, and H. Ahsan, “Analyses and interpretation of whole-genome gene expression from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue: an illustration with breast cancer tissues,” BMC Genomics, vol. 11, no. 1, article 622, 2010.
- G. P. Sfakianos, E. S. Iversen, R. Whitaker et al., “Validation of ovarian cancer gene expression signatures for survival and subtype in formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissues,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 159–164, 2013.
- T. J. Clark, C. H. Mann, N. Shah, K. S. Khan, F. Song, and J. K. Gupta, “Accuracy of outpatient endometrial biopsy in the diagnosis of endometrial cancer: a systematic quantitative review,” An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 313–321, 2002.
- F. P. Dijkhuizen, B. W. Mol, H. A. Brolmann, and A. P. Heintz, “The accuracy of endometrial sampling in the diagnosis of patients with endometrial carcinoma and hyperplasia: a meta-analysis,” Cancer, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 1765–1772, 2000.
- J. E. Allard, J. I. Risinger, C. Morrison et al., “Overexpression of folate binding protein is associated with shortened progression-free survival in uterine adenocarcinomas,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 52–57, 2007.
- M. Tuefferd, A. de Bondt, I. van den Wyngaert, W. Talloen, and H. Göhlmann, “Microarray profiling of DNA extracted from FFPE tissues using SNP 6.0 Affymetrix platform,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 724, pp. 147–160, 2011.
- L. Waldron, P. Simpson, G. Parmigiani, and C. Huttenhower, “Report on emerging technologies for translational bioinformatics: a symposium on gene expression profiling for archival tissues,” BMC Cancer, vol. 12, p. 124, 2012.
- H. Beltran, R. Yelensky, G. M. Frampton et al., “Targeted Next-generation Sequencing of Advanced Prostate Cancer Identifies Potential Therapeutic Targets and Disease Heterogeneity,” European Urology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 920–926, 2013.
- L. Waldron, S. Ogino, Y. Hoshida et al., “Expression profiling of archival tumors for long-term health studies,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 18, no. 22, pp. 6136–6146.
- A. Kotorashvili, A. Ramnauth, C. Liu et al., “Effective DNA/RNA co-extraction for analysis of microRNAs, mRNAs, and genomic DNA from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded specimens,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e34683, 2012.