- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 757249, 7 pages
Management of Early Stage, High-Risk Endometrial Carcinoma: Preoperative and Surgical Considerations
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center,
Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Received 11 April 2013; Accepted 28 May 2013
Academic Editor: Howard D. Homesley
Copyright © 2013 Sareena Singh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Cancer Facts & Figures—2013, American Cancer Society (ACS), Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2013.
- C. L. Creutzberg, W. L. J. Van Putten, P. C. Koper et al., “Survival after relapse in patients with endometrial cancer: results from a randomized trial,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 201–209, 2003.
- H. M. Keys, J. A. Roberts, V. L. Brunetto et al., “A phase III trial of surgery with or without adjunctive external pelvic radiation therapy in intermediate risk endometrial adenocarcinoma: a gynecologic oncology group study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 744–751, 2004.
- W. Creasman, “Revised FIGO staging for carcinoma of the endometrium,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 105, no. 2, p. 109, 2009.
- C. P. Morrow, B. N. Bundy, R. J. Kurman et al., “Relationship between surgical-pathological risk factors and outcome in clinical stage I and II carcinoma of the endometrium: a gynecologic oncology group study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 1991.
- A. V. Hoekstra, R. J. Kim, W. Small Jr. et al., “FIGO stage IIIC endometrial carcinoma: prognostic factors and outcomes,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 273–278, 2009.
- D. M. Larson, K. K. Johnson, S. K. Broste, B. R. Krawisz, and J. J. Kresl, “Comparison of D and C and office endometrial biopsy in predicting final histopathologic grade in endometrial cancer,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 38–42, 1995.
- T. Turan, E. Oguz, E. Unlubilgin, et al., “Accuracy of frozen-section examination for myometrial invasion and grade in endometrial cancer,” European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 90–95, 2013.
- Ç. Çetin, S. Özdemir, H. Esen, O. Balc, and O. Yilmaz, “The clinical value of preoperative and intraoperative assessments in the management of endometrial cancer,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 358–362, 2010.
- Y. Yamashita, H. Mizutani, M. Torashima et al., “Assessment of myometrial invasion by endometrial carcinoma: transvaginal sonography vs contrast-enhanced MR imaging,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 595–599, 1993.
- R. Manfredi, P. Mirk, G. Maresca et al., “Local-regional staging of endometrial carcinoma: role of MR imaging in surgical planning,” Radiology, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 372–378, 2004.
- O. Akbayir, A. Corbacioglu, C. Numanoglu et al., “Preoperative assessment of myometrial and cervical invasion in endometrial carcinoma by transvaginal ultrasound,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 600–603, 2011.
- I. D. Mavromatis, C. N. Antonopoulos, I. L. Matsoukis, et al., “Validity of intraoperative gross examination of myometrial invasion in patients with endometrial cancer: a meta-analysis,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 779–793, 2012.
- H. A. Arango, M. S. Hoffman, W. S. Roberts, S. L. Decesare, J. V. Fiorica, and J. Drake, “Accuracy of lymph node palpation to determine need for lymphadenectomy in gynecologic malignancies,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 553–556, 2000.
- S. L. Antonsen, L. N. Jensen, A. Loft, et al., “MRI, PET/CT and ultrasound in the preoperative staging of endometrial cancer—a multicenter prospective comparative study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 300–308, 2013.
- H. Kitchener, A. M. Swart, Q. Qian, C. Amos, and M. K. Parmar, “Efficacy of systematic pelvic lymphadenectomy in endometrial cancer (MRC ASTEC trial): a randomised study,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9658, pp. 125–136, 2009.
- P. B. Panici, S. Basile, F. Maneschi et al., “Systematic pelvic lymphadenectomy vs no lymphadenectomy in early-stage endometrial carcinoma: randomized clinical trial,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 23, pp. 1707–1716, 2008.
- A. Mariani, S. C. Dowdy, W. A. Cliby et al., “Prospective assessment of lymphatic dissemination in endometrial cancer: a paradigm shift in surgical staging,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2008.
- S. C. Dowdy, B. J. Borah, J. N. Bakkum-Gamez, et al., “Prospective assessment of survival, morbidity, and cost associated with lymphadenectomy in low-risk endometrial cancer,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 2012.
- J. L. Walker, M. R. Piedmonte, N. M. Spirtos et al., “Laparoscopy compared with laparotomy for comprehensive surgical staging of uterine cancer: gynecologic oncology group Study LAP2,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 32, pp. 5331–5336, 2009.
- J. L. Walker, M. R. Piedmonte, N. M. Spirtos et al., “Recurrence and survival after random assignment to laparoscopy versus laparotomy for comprehensive surgical staging of uterine cancer: gynecologic oncology group LAP2 study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 695–700, 2012.
- A. Berchuck, A. Alvarez Secord, and L. J. Havrilesky, “Minimally invasive surgery for endometrial cancer: the horse is already out of the barn,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 681–682, 2012.
- M. J. E. Mourits, C. B. Bijen, H. J. Arts et al., “Safety of laparoscopy versus laparotomy in early-stage endometrial cancer: a randomised trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 763–771, 2010.
- A. Obermair, T. P. Manolitsas, Y. Leung, I. G. Hammond, and A. J. McCartney, “Total laparoscopic hysterectomy for endometrial cancer: patterns of recurrence and survival,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 789–793, 2004.
- L. G. Seamon, D. E. Cohn, M. S. Henretta et al., “Minimally invasive comprehensive surgical staging for endometrial cancer: robotics or laparoscopy?” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 2009.
- J. F. Boggess, P. A. Gehrig, L. Cantrell et al., “A comparative study of 3 surgical methods for hysterectomy with staging for endometrial cancer: robotic assistance, laparoscopy, laparotomy,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 199, no. 4, pp. 360.e1–360.e9, 2008.
- M. C. Bell, J. Torgerson, U. Seshadri-Kreaden, A. W. Suttle, and S. Hunt, “Comparison of outcomes and cost for endometrial cancer staging via traditional laparotomy, standard laparoscopy and robotic techniques,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 407–411, 2008.
- T. E. Ahlering, D. Skarecky, D. Lee, and R. V. Clayman, “Successful transfer of open surgical skills to a laparoscopic environment using a robotic interface: initial experience with laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 1738–1741, 2003.
- C. Kandoth, N. Schultz, A. D. Cherniack et al., “Integrated genomic characterization of endometrial carcinoma,” Nature, vol. 497, no. 7447, pp. 67–73, 2013.
- B. A. Clarke and C. B. Gilks, “Endometrial carcinoma: controversies in histopathological assessment of grade and tumour cell type,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 410–415, 2010.
- C. B. Gilks, E. Oliva, and R. A. Soslow, “Poor interobserver reproducibility in the diagnosis of high-grade endometrial carcinoma,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 874–881, 2013.