- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 809787, 8 pages
Preemptive Treatment of Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial
The Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X8
Received 13 November 2012; Revised 20 December 2012; Accepted 21 December 2012
Academic Editor: Enrique Hernandez
Copyright © 2013 Caroline Maltepe and Gideon Koren. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Clark, M. M. Costantine, and G. D. Hankins, “Review of NVP and HG and early pharmacotherapeutic intervention,” Obstetrics and Gynecology International, vol. 2012, Article ID 252676, 8 pages, 2012.
- M. Y. Arsenault, C. A. Lane, C. J. MacKinnon et al., “The management of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 817–832, 2002.
- N. Ebrahimi, C. Maltepe, and A. Einarson, “Optimal management of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy,” International Journal of Women's Health, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 241–248, 2010.
- P. Nguyen and A. Einarson, “Managing nausea and vomiting of pregnancy with pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments,” Women's Health, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 753–760, 2006.
- P. Mazzotta, D. E. Stewart, G. Koren, and L. A. Magee, “Factors associated with elective termination of pregnancy among Canadian and American women with nausea and vomiting of pregnancy,” Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 2001.
- M. Ornstein, A. Einarson, and G. Koren, “Bendectin/diclectin for morning sickness: a Canadian follow-up of an American tragedy,” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1995.
- G. Koren and C. Maltepe, “Pre-emptive therapy for severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy and hyperemesis gravidarum,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 530–533, 2004.
- G. N. Mattiuzzi, J. E. Cortes, D. A. Blamble et al., “Daily palonosetron is superior to ondansetron in the prevention of delayed chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in patients with acute myelogenous leukemia,” Cancer, vol. 116, no. 24, pp. 5659–5666, 2010.
- A. Gil, Z. Nachum, D. Tal, and A. Shupak, “A comparison of cinnarizine and transdermal scopolamine for the prevention of seasickness in naval crew: a double-blind, randomized, crossover study,” Clinical Neuropharmacology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 37–39, 2012.
- R. A. Hejazi and R. W. McCallum, “Review article: cyclic vomiting syndrome in adults—rediscovering and redefining an old entity,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 263–273, 2011.
- A. E. Czeizel, I. Dudas, G. Fritz, A. Tecsoi, A. Hanck, and G. Kunovits, “The effect of periconceptional multivitamin-mineral supplementation on vertigo, nausea and vomiting in the first trimester of pregnancy,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 251, no. 4, pp. 181–185, 1992.
- A. Einarson, C. Maltepe, R. Boskovic, and G. Koren, “Treatment of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy: an updated algorithm,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 2109–2111, 2007.
- S. K. Gill, C. Maltepe, and G. Koren, “The effect of heartburn and acid reflux on the severity of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy,” Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 270–272, 2009.
- S. K. Gill, C. Maltepe, K. Mastali, and G. Koren, “The effect of Acid-reducing pharmacotherapy on the severity of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy,” Obstetrics and Gynecology International, vol. 2009, Article ID 585269, 4 pages, 2009.
- R. Law, C. Maltepe, P. Bozzo, and A. Einarson, “Treatment of heartburn and acid reflux associated with nausea and vomiting during pregnancy,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 143–144, 2010.
- G. Koren, R. Boskovic, M. Hard, C. Maltepe, Y. Navioz, and A. Einarson, “Motherisk—PUQE (pregnancy-unique quantification of emesis and nausea) scoring system for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 186, supplement 5, pp. S228–S231, 2002.
- G. Koren, C. Piwko, E. Ahn et al., “Validation studies of the Pregnancy Unique-Quantification of Emesis (PUQE) scores,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 241–244, 2005.
- N. Ebrahimi, C. Maltepe, F. G. Bournissen, and G. Koren, “Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: using the 24-hour Pregnancy-Unique Quantification of Emesis (PUQE-24) scale,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 803–807, 2009.
- G. Atanackovic, Y. Navioz, M. E. Moretti, and G. Koren, “The safety of higher than standard dose of doxylamine-pyridoxine (Diclectin) for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 842–845, 2001.
- P. Mazzotta, D. Stewart, G. Atanackovic, G. Koren, and L. A. Magee, “Psychosocial morbidity among women with nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: prevalence and association with anti-emetic therapy,” Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 129–136, 2000.
- C. Smith, C. Crowther, J. Beilby, and J. Dandeaux, “The impact of nausea and vomiting on women: a burden of early pregnancy,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 397–401, 2000.
- S. Munch and M. F. Schmitz, “Hyperemesis gravidarum and patient satisfaction: a path model of patients' perceptions of the patient-physician relationship,” Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 2006.
- G. Koren, S. Clark, G. D. V. Hankins, S. N. Caritis, M. Miodovnik, and D. R. Mattison, “Effectiveness of delayed-release doxylamine and pyridoxine for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: a randomized placebo controlled trial,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 203, pp. 571.e1–571.e7, 2010.
- D. N. Ozucelik, M. A. Karaca, and B. Sivri, “Effectiveness of pre-emptive metoclopramide infusion in alleviating pain, discomfort and nausea associated with nasogastric tube insertion: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1422–1427, 2005.
- C. Roome and J. Thompson, “Pre-emptive metoclopramide and ondansetron for nausea and vomiting associated with iloprost infusions,” Pharmacy World and Science, vol. 23, no. 3, p. 122, 2001.
- N. Burbos, A. M. Shiner, and E. Morris, “Severe metabolic acidosis as a consequence of acute starvation in pregnancy,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 279, no. 3, pp. 399–400, 2009.
- A. Gurbet, A. Bekar, H. Bilgin, G. Korfali, S. Yilmazlar, and M. Tercan, “Pre-emptive infiltration of levobupivacaine is superior to at-closure administration in lumbar laminectomy patients,” European Spine Journal, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1237–1241, 2008.
- L. M. D'Orazio, B. E. Meyerowitz, L. M. Korst, R. Romero, and T. M. Goodwin, “Evidence against a link between hyperemesis gravidarum and personality characteristics from an ethnically diverse sample of pregnant women: a pilot study,” Journal of Women's Health, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 137–144, 2011.