- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 139194, 10 pages
Cyclosporine A in Ullrich Congenital Muscular Dystrophy: Long-Term Results
1Section of Medical Genetics, Department of Experimental and Diagnostic Medicine, University of Ferrara, 44121 Ferrara, Italy
2Laboratorio Di Biologia Cellulare Muscoloscheletrica, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, 40136 Bologna, Italy
3Istituto di Genetica Molecolare, CNR, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, 40136 Bologna, Italy
4Medicina Generale, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, 40136 Bologna, Italy
5Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Padova, 35121 Padova, Italy
6Department of Histology, Microbiology and Medical Biotechnology, University of Padova, 35121 Padova, Italy
7Pediatric Surgery Department, Sant’Anna Hospital, Corso Giovecca 203, 44121 Ferrara, Italy
8Unit for Neuromuscular Disorders, Department of Neurosciences and Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Bambino Gesu’ Children’s Research Hospital, 00165 Roma, Italy
Received 19 May 2011; Revised 9 August 2011; Accepted 11 August 2011
Academic Editor: Jing Yi
Copyright © 2011 Luciano Merlini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Bethlem and G. K. Van Wijngaarden, “Benign myopathy, with autosomal dominant inheritance: a report on three pedigrees,” Brain, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 91–100, 1976.
- O. C. Vanegas, E. Bertini, R. Z. Zhang et al., “Ullrich scleroatonic muscular dystrophy is caused by recessive mutations in collagen type VI,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 13, pp. 7516–7521, 2001.
- L. Merlini, E. Martoni, P. Grumati et al., “Autosomal recessive myosclerosis myopathy is a collagen VI disorder,” Neurology, vol. 71, no. 16, pp. 1245–1253, 2008.
- L. Merlini, L. Morandi, C. Granata, and A. Ballestrazzi, “Bethlem myopathy: early-onset benign autosomal dominant myopathy with contractures. Description of two new families,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 4, no. 5-6, pp. 503–511, 1994.
- G. Pepe, B. Giusti, E. Bertini et al., “A heterozygous splice site mutation in COL6A1 leading to an in-frame deletion of the α1(VI) collagen chain in an Italian family affected by Bethlem myopathy,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 258, no. 3, pp. 802–807, 1999.
- G. Pepe, E. Bertini, P. Bonaldo et al., “Bethlem myopathy (BETHLEM) and Ullrich scleroatonic muscular dystrophy: 100th ENMC International Workshop, 23-24 November 2001, Naarden, NLD,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 984–993, 2002.
- A. Nadeau, M. Kinali, M. Main et al., “Natural history of Ullrich congenital muscular dystrophy,” Neurology, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2009.
- A. K. Lampe, K. M. Flanigan, and K. M. Bushby, “Collagen type VI-related disorders,” GeneReview, 2007, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene&part=bethlem#bethlem.
- F. Gualandi, A. Urciuolo, E. Martoni et al., “Autosomal recessive Bethlem myopathy,” Neurology, vol. 73, no. 22, pp. 1883–1891, 2009.
- A. K. Lampe and K. M. D. Bushby, “Collagen VI related muscle disorders,” Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 673–685, 2005.
- P. Bonaldo, P. Braghetta, M. Zanetti, S. Piccolo, D. Volpin, and G. M. Bressan, “Collagen VI deficiency induces early onset myopathy in the mouse: An animal model for Bethlem myopathy,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 7, no. 13, pp. 2135–2140, 1998.
- W. A. Irwin, N. Bergamin, P. Sabatelli et al., “Mitochondrial dysfunction and apoptosis in myopathic mice with collagen VI deficiency,” Nature Genetics, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 367–371, 2003.
- P. Bernardi, A. Krauskopf, E. Basso et al., “The mitochondrial permeability transition from in vitro artifact to disease target,” FEBS Journal, vol. 273, no. 10, pp. 2077–2099, 2006.
- A. Angelin, T. Tiepolo, P. Sabatelli et al., “Mitochondrial dysfunction in the pathogenesis of Ullrich congenital muscular dystrophy and prospective therapy with cyclosporins,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 991–996, 2007.
- L. Merlini, A. Angelin, T. Tiepolo et al., “Cyclosporin A corrects mitochondrial dysfunction and muscle apoptosis in patients with collagen VI myopathies,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 13, pp. 5225–5229, 2008.
- EMEA, “Guideline on clinical trials in small populations,” 2006, http://www.ema.europa.eu/.
- L. Merlini, E. S. Mazzone, A. Solari, and L. Morandi, “Reliability of hand-held dynamometry in spinal muscular atrophy,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 64–70, 2002.
- L. Merlini, E. Bertini, C. Minetti et al., “Motor function-muscle strength relationship in spinal muscular atrophy,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 548–552, 2004.
- L. Merlini, A. Solari, G. Vita et al., “Role of gabapentin in spinal muscular atrophy: results of a multicenter, randomized Italian study,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 537–541, 2003.
- R. Geiger, A. Strasak, B. Treml et al., “Six-minute walk test in children and adolescents,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 150, no. 4, pp. 395–399, 2007.
- J. Rosenfeld and C. E. Jackson, “Quantitative assessment and outcome measures in neuromuscular disease,” in Neuromuscular Disorders in Clinical Practice, B. Katirji, H. J. Kaminski, D. C. Preston, R. L. Ruff, and B. E. Shapiro, Eds., pp. 309–343, Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, Mass, USA, 2002.
- J. R. Zanchetta, H. Plotkin, and M. L. Alverez Filgueira, “Bone mass in children: normative values for the 2-20-year-old population,” Bone, vol. 16, supplement 4, pp. 393S–399S, 1995.
- CDC: centers for disease control and prevention, “BMI-for-age growth charts,” http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html.
- S. Sartore, L. Gorza, and S. Schiaffino, “Fetal myosin heavy chains in regenerating muscle,” Nature, vol. 298, no. 5871, pp. 294–296, 1982.
- S. Schiaffino, L. Gorza, and I. Dones, “Fetal myosin immunoreactivity in human dystrophic muscle,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 1986.
- S. Ciciliot and S. Schiaffino, “Regeneration of mammalian skeletal muscle: basic mechanisms and clinical implications,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 906–914, 2010.
- H. Suzuki, A. Hase, B. Yoon Kim et al., “Up-regulation of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) expression in regenerating muscle fibers in neuromuscular diseases,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 257, no. 3, pp. 165–167, 1998.
- A. G. Engel and G. Biesecker, “Complement activation in muscle fiber necrosis: demonstration of the membrane attack complex of complement in necrotic fibers,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 289–296, 1982.
- A. Angelin, P. Bonaldo, and P. Bernardi, “Altered threshold of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore in Ullrich congenital muscular dystrophy,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1777, no. 7-8, pp. 893–896, 2008.
- P. Bernardi, L. Scorrano, R. Colonna, V. Petronilli, and F. Di Lisa, “Mitochondria and cell death. Mechanistic aspects and methodological issues,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 264, no. 3, pp. 687–701, 1999.
- G. Feutren and M. J. Mihatsch, “Risk factors for cyclosporine-induced nephropathy in patients with autoimmune diseases,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 326, no. 25, pp. 1654–1660, 1992.
- B. Nashan, A. Bock, J. L. Bosmans et al., “Use of neoral C2 monitoring: a European consensus,” Transplant International, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 768–778, 2005.
- E. A. C. Beenakker, J. H. Van der Hoeven, J. M. Fock, and N. M. Maurits, “Reference values of maximum isometric muscle force obtained in 270 children aged 4-16 years by hand-held dynamometry,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 441–446, 2001.
- V. Allamand, L. Merlini, and K. Bushby, “166th ENMC International Workshop on collagen type VI-related myopathies, 22-24 May 2009, Naarden, The Netherlands,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 346–354, 2010.
- I. Higuchi, T. Horikiri, T. Niiyama et al., “Pathological characteristics of skeletal muscle in Ullrich's disease with collagen VI deficiency,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 310–316, 2003.
- J. D. Cook and D. S. Glass, “Strength evaluation in neuromuscular disease,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 101–123, 1987.
- L. Merlini and P. Bernardi, “Therapy of collagen VI-related myopathies (Bethlem and Ullrich),” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 613–618, 2008.
- R. W. Bohannon, “Results of resistance exercise on a patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. A case report,” Physical Therapy, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 965–968, 1983.
- P. B. Kang, A. T. Kho, D. Sanoudou et al., “Variations in gene expression among different types of human skeletal muscle,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 483–491, 2005.
- L Merlini, “Measuring muscle strength in clinical trials,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1146–1147, 2010.
- A. -C. Söderpalm, P. Magnusson, A.-C. Åhlander et al., “Low bone mineral density and decreased bone turnover in Duchenne muscular dystrophy,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 17, no. 11-12, pp. 919–928, 2007.
- P. C. Scacheri, E. M. Gillanders, S. H. Subramony et al., “Novel mutations in collagen VI genes: expansion of the Bethlem myopathy phenotype,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 593–602, 2002.
- M. J. Hansson, G. Mattiasson, R. Månsson et al., “The nonimmunosuppressive cyclosporin analogs NIM811 and UNIL025 display nanomolar potencies on permeability transition in brain-derived mitochondria,” Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 407–413, 2004.
- P. Grumati, L. Coletto, P. Sabatelli et al., “Autophagy is defective in collagen VI muscular dystrophies, and its reactivation rescues myofiber degeneration,” Nature Medicine, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1313–1320, 2010.
- A. M. Tolkovsky, “Autophagy thwarts muscle disease,” Nature Medicine, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1188–1190, 2010.