- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 976948, 9 pages
Date Fruit Extract Is a Neuroprotective Agent in Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats: A Multimodal Analysis
1Department of Basic Neuroscience, Neuroscience Research Center, Kerman Medical University, Kerman 76198-13159, Iran
2Afzal Research Center, Kerman, Iran
Received 23 July 2011; Revised 29 August 2011; Accepted 12 September 2011
Academic Editor: Michael R. Hoane
Copyright © 2011 Nasser Zangiabadi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Pittenger and A. Vinik, “Nerve growth factor and diabetic neuropathy,” Experimental Diabesity Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 271–285, 2003.
- K. Sugimoto, Y. Murakawa, and A. A. F. Sima, “Diabetic neuropathy—a continuing enigma,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 408–433, 2000.
- P. J. Dyck, B. R. Zimmerman, T. H. Vilen et al., “Nerve glucose, fructose, sorbitol, myo-inositol, and fiber degeneration and regeneration in diabetic neuropathy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 319, no. 9, pp. 542–548, 1988.
- L. Eckersley, “Role of the Schwann cell in diabetic neuropathy,” International Review of Neurobiology, vol. 50, pp. 293–321, 2002.
- G. Lauria, R. Lombardi, M. Borgna et al., “Intraepidermal nerve fiber density in rat foot pad: neuropathologic-neurophysiologic correlation,” Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 202–208, 2005.
- G. Lauria, M. Morbin, R. Lombardi et al., “Axonal swellings predict the degeneration of epidermal nerve fibers in painful neuropathies,” Neurology, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 631–636, 2003.
- M. I. Periquet, V. Novak, M. P. Collins et al., “Painful sensory neuropathy,” Neurology, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1641–1647, 1999.
- The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research G, “The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 329, no. 14, pp. 977–986, 1993.
- N. E. Cameron, M. A. Cotter, M. Basso, and T. C. Hohman, “Comparison of the effects of inhibitors of aldose reductase and sorbitol dehydrogenase on neurovascular function, nerve conduction and tissue polyol pathway metabolites in streptozotocin-diabetic rats,” Diabetologia, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 271–281, 1997.
- F. A. Gries, “Alternative therapeutic principles in the prevention of microvascular and neuropathic complications,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 28, pp. S201–S207, 1995.
- N. Karachalias, R. Babaei-Jadidi, N. Ahmed, and P. J. Thornalley, “Accumulation of fructosyl-lysine and advanced glycation end products in the kidney, retina and peripheral nerve of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1423–1425, 2003.
- P. Vague, T. C. Coste, M. F. Jannot, J. D. Raccah, and M. Tsimaratos, “C-peptide, Na+,K+-ATPase, and diabetes,” Experimental Diabesity Research, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 37–50, 2004.
- S. Tesfaye, N. Chaturvedi, S. E. M. Eaton et al., “Vascular risk factors and diabetic neuropathy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 4, pp. 341–350, 2005.
- A. M. Vincent, J. W. Russell, P. Low, and E. L. Feldman, “Oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of diabetic neuropathy,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 612–628, 2004.
- R. Babaei-Jadidi, N. Karachalias, N. Ahmed, S. Battah, and P. J. Thornalley, “Prevention of incipient diabetic nephropathy by high-dose thiamine and benfotiamine,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 2110–2120, 2003.
- S. Thomas's, “Failure of improved glycaemic control to reverse diabetic autonomic neuropathy,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 330–334, 1986.
- M. Asadi-Shekaari, M. Panahi, S. H. Dabiri, S. K. Zahed, and T. P. Pour, “Neuroprotective effects of aqueous date fruit extract on focal cerebral ischemia in rats,” Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 661–665, 2008.
- C. Gemma, M. H. Mesches, B. Sepesi, K. Choo, D. B. Holmes, and P. C. Bickford, “Diets enriched in foods with high antioxidant activity reverse age-induced decreases in cerebellar β-adrenergic function and increases in proinflammatory cytokines,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 14, pp. 6114–6120, 2002.
- A. Mansouri, G. Embarek, E. Kokkalou, and P. Kefalas, “Phenolic profile and antioxidant activity of the Algerian ripe date palm fruit (Phoenix dactylifera),” Food Chemistry, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 411–420, 2005.
- W. Al-Shahib and R. J. Marshall, “The fruit of the date palm: its possible use as the best food for the future?” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 247–259, 2003.
- P. K. Vayalil, “Antioxidant and antimutagenic properties of aqueous extract of date fruit (Phoenix dactylifera L. Arecaceae),” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 610–617, 2002.
- A. K. Sallal and A. Ashkenani, “Effect of date extract on growth and spore germination of Bacillus subtilis,” Microbios, vol. 59, no. 240-241, pp. 203–210, 1989.
- Z. A. Shraideh, K. H. Abu-Elteen, and A. K. J. Sallal, “Ultrastructural effects of date extract on Candida albicans,” Mycopathologia, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 119–123, 1998.
- O. Ishurd and J. F. Kennedy, “The anti-cancer activity of polysaccharide prepared from Libyan dates (Phoenix dactylifera L.),” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 531–535, 2005.
- A. A. Al-Qarawi, H. Abdel-Rahman, B. H. Ali, H. M. Mousa, and S. A. El-Mougy, “The ameliorative effect of dates (Phoenix dactylifera L.) on ethanol-induced gastric ulcer in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 313–317, 2005.
- M. Lipartiti, D. Franceschini, R. Zanoni et al., “Neuroprotective effects of melatonin,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 398, pp. 315–321, 1996.
- M. Panahi, M. Asadi-Shekaari, T. P. Kalantari Pour, and A. Safavi, “Aqueous extract of date fruit protects CA1 neurons againt oxidative injury: an ultastructural study,” Current Topics in Nutraceutical Research, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 125–130, 2008.
- S. Usuki, Y. Ito, K. Morikawa et al., “Effect of pre-germinated brown rice intake on diabetic neuropathy in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Nutrition & Metabolism, vol. 4, article 25, 2007.
- J. Jakobsen, “Early and preventable changes of peripheral nerve structure and function in insulin-deficient diabetic rats,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 509–518, 1979.
- A. K. Sharma and P. K. Thomas, “Peripheral nerve structure and function in experimental diabetes,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1974.
- D. A. Greene, S. Lattimer-Greene, and A. A. F. Sima, “Pathogenesis of diabetic neuropathy: role of altered phosphoinositide metabolism,” Critical Reviews in Neurobiology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 143–219, 1989.
- J. I. Malone, S. Lowitt, J. K. Korthals, A. Salem, and C. Miranda, “The effect of hyperglycemia on nerve conduction and structure is age dependent,” Diabetes, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 209–215, 1996.
- M. Shabani, N. Hosseinmardi, M. Haghani, V. Shaibani, and M. Janahmadi, “Maternal exposure to the CB1 cannabinoid agonist WIN 55212-2 produces robust changes in motor function and intrinsic electrophysiological properties of cerebellar Purkinje neurons in rat offspring,” Neuroscience, vol. 172, no. C, pp. 139–152, 2011.
- L. Hounsom and D. R. Tomlinson, “Does neuropathy develop in animal models?” Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 380–389, 1997.
- M. Dobretsov, D. Romanovsky, and J. R. Stimers, “Early diabetic neuropathy: triggers and mechanisms,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 175–191, 2007.
- G. Negi, A. Kumar, R. K. Kaundal, A. Gulati, and S. S. Sharma, “Functional and biochemical evidence indicating beneficial effect of Melatonin and Nicotinamide alone and in combination in experimental diabetic neuropathy,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 585–592, 2010.
- A. K. Saini, K. H. S. Arun, C. L. Kaul, and S. S. Sharma, “Acute hyperglycemia attenuates nerve conduction velocity and nerve blood flow in male Sprague-Dawley rats: reversal by adenosine,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 593–599, 2004.
- S. Kumar, K. H. S. Arun, C. L. Kaul, and S. S. Sharma, “Effects of adenosine and adenosine A2A receptor agonist on motor nerve conduction velocity and nerve blood flow in experimental diabetic neuropathy,” Neurological Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 60–66, 2005.
- E. Andriambeloson, C. Baillet, P. A. Vitte, G. Garotta, M. Dreano, and N. Callizot, “Interleukin-6 attenuates the development of experimental diabetes-related neuropathy,” Neuropathology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 32–42, 2006.
- N. Zangiabadi, “The effect of omega-3 fatty acids on nerve conduction velocity (NCV) and F-wave latency in patients with diabetic polyneuropathy,” The American Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 2007.
- T. C. Coste, A. Gerbi, P. Vague, J. M. Maixent, G. Pieroni, and D. Raccah, “Peripheral diabetic neuropathy and polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementations: natural sources or biotechnological needs?” Cellular and Molecular Biology, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 845–853, 2004.
- M. A. Cotter and N. E. Cameron, “Effect of the NAD(P)H oxidase inhibitor, apocynin, on peripheral nerve perfusion and function in diabetic rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 73, no. 14, pp. 1813–1824, 2003.
- L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, E. P. Davidson, J. A. Dunlap, and M. A. Yorek, “Effect of treating streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with sorbinil, myo-inositol or aminoguanidine on endoneurial blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity and vascular function of epineurial arterioles of the sciatis nerve,” International Journal of Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 21–36, 2002.
- A. Kumar, R. K. Kaundal, S. Iyer, and S. S. Sharma, “Effects of resveratrol on nerve functions, oxidative stress and DNA fragmentation in experimental diabetic neuropathy,” Life Sciences, vol. 80, no. 13, pp. 1236–1244, 2007.
- M. J. Callaghan, D. J. Ceradini, and G. C. Gurtner, “Hyperglycemia-induced reactive oxygen species and impaired endothelial progenitor cell function,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 7, no. 11-12, pp. 1476–1482, 2005.
- K. Sugimoto and S. Yagihashi, “Peripheral nerve pathology in rats with streptozotocin-induced insulinoma,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 616–623, 1996.
- A. A. F. Sima and K. Sugimoto, “Experimental diabetic neuropathy: an update,” Diabetologia, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 773–788, 1999.
- R. Pop-Busui, A. Sima, and M. Stevens, “Diabetic neuropathy and oxidative stress,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 257–273, 2006.
- D. M. Niedowicz and D. L. Daleke, “The role of oxidative stress in diabetic complications,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 289–330, 2005.
- M. A. Yorek, L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, and E. P. Davidson, “Sensory nerve innervation of epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerve containing calcitonin gene-related peptide: effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Experimental Diabesity Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 187–193, 2004.
- M. C. Gonzalez Deniselle, L. Garay, S. Gonzalez, R. Guennoun, M. Schumacher, and A. F. De Nicola, “Progesterone restores retrograde labeling of cervical motoneurons in Wobbler mouse motoneuron disease,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 195, no. 2, pp. 518–523, 2005.
- A. Gerbi, J. M. Maixent, J. L. Ansaldi et al., “Fish oil supplementation prevents diabetes-induced nerve conduction velocity and neuroanatomical changes in rats,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 207–213, 1999.
- M. A. Yorek, L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett et al., “Effect of treatment of diabetic rats with dehydroepiandrosterone on vascular and neural function,” American Journal of Physiology—Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 283, no. 5, pp. E1067–E1075, 2002.
- I. Azcoitia, E. Leonelli, V. Magnaghi, S. Veiga, L. M. Garcia-Segura, and R. C. Melcangi, “Progesterone and its derivatives dihydroprogesterone and tetrahydroprogesterone reduce myelin fiber morphological abnormalities and myelin fiber loss in the sciatic nerve of aged rats,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 853–860, 2003.
- E. Grzeda, R. J. Wiśniewska, and K. Wiśniewski, “Effect of an NMDA receptor agonist on T-maze and passive avoidance test in 12-week streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 656–663, 2007.
- D. A. Greene, M. J. Stevens, I. Obrosova, and E. L. Feldman, “Glucose-induced oxidative stress and programmed cell death in diabetic neuropathy,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 375, no. 1–3, pp. 217–223, 1999.
- M. R. S. Ardekania, M. Khanavia, M. Hajimahmoodib, M. Jahangiria, and A. Hadjiakhoondia, “Comparison of antioxidant activity and total phenol,” Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 141–146, 2010.
- M. Asadi-Shekari and S. Rajab Alian, “Antioxidative effect of aqueous date fruit extract in pc12 cell line,” Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 3, no. 1, p. 72, 2004.
- B. Poeggeler, R. J. Reiter, D. X. Tan, L. D. Chen, and L. C. Manchester, “Melatonin, hydroxyl radical-mediated oxidative damage, and aging: a hypothesis,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 151–168, 1993.
- K. Cui, X. Luo, K. Xu, and M. R. Ven Murthy, “Role of oxidative stress in neurodegeneration: recent developments in assay methods for oxidative stress and nutraceutical antioxidants,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 771–799, 2004.
- P. Lyden and N. G. Wahlgren, “Mechanisms of action of neuroprotectants in stroke,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 9, no. 6, part 2, pp. 9–14, 2000.
- K. I. Maynard, I. A. Ayoub, and C. C. Shen, “Delayed multidose treatment with nicotinamide extends the degree and duration of neuroprotection by reducing infarction and improving behavioral scores up to two weeks following transient focal cerebral ischemia in Wistar rats,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 939, pp. 416–424, 2001.
- O. Vajragupta, P. Boonchoong, Y. Sumanont, H. Watanabe, Y. Wongkrajang, and N. Kammasud, “Manganese-based complexes of radical scavengers as neuroprotective agents,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 2329–2337, 2003.