- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 157598, 10 pages
Antioxidant and Astroprotective Effects of a Pulicaria incisa Infusion
1Department of Food Quality and Safety, The Volcani Center, Agricultural Research Organization, P.O. Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
2Dead Sea and Arava Science Center and The Shraga Segal Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Genetics, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, P.O. Box 653, 84105 Beersheba, Israel
Received 23 September 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: Mohammad Abdollahi
Copyright © 2012 Anat Elmann et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Casetta, V. Govoni, and E. Granieri, “Oxidative stress, antioxidants and neurodegenerative diseases,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 11, no. 16, pp. 2033–2052, 2005.
- B. Halliwell, “Oxidative stress and neurodegeneration: where are we now?” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 1634–1658, 2006.
- P. A. Hyslop, Z. Zhang, D. V. Pearson, and L. A. Phebus, “Measurement of striatal H2O2 by microdialysis following global forebrain ischemia and reperfusion in the rat: correlation with the cytotoxic potential of H2O2in vitro,” Brain Research, vol. 671, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 1995.
- H. Ischiropoulos and J. S. Beckman, “Oxidative stress and nitration in neurodegeneration: cause, effect, or association?” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 163–169, 2003.
- L. Minghetti, “Role of inflammation in neurodegenerative diseases,” Current Opinion in Neurology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 315–321, 2005.
- R. A. Floyd, “Antioxidants, oxidative stress, and degenerative neurological disorders,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 222, no. 3, pp. 236–245, 1999.
- P. S. Sastry, “Lipids of nervous tissue: composition and metabolism,” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 69–176, 1985.
- B. Hallgren and P. Sourander, “The effect of age on the non-hem iron in the human brain,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 41–51, 1958.
- R. Schreck and A. Baeuerle, “A role for oxygen radicals as second messengers,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 1, no. 2-3, pp. 39–42, 1991.
- R. Dringen, P. G. Pawlowski, and J. Hirrlinger, “Peroxide detoxification by brain cells,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 79, no. 1-2, pp. 157–165, 2005.
- G. P. Bienert, J. K. Schjoerring, and T. P. Jahn, “Membrane transport of hydrogen peroxide,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 8, pp. 994–1003, 2006.
- D. Vaudry, T. F. Pamantung, M. Basille et al., “PACAP protects cerebellar granule neurons against oxidative stress-induced apoptosis,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1451–1460, 2002.
- A. Ferrero-Gutiérrez, A. Pérez-Gómez, A. Novelli, and M. T. Fernández-Sánchez, “Inhibition of protein phosphatases impairs the ability of astrocytes to detoxify hydrogen peroxide,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1806–1816, 2008.
- S. Y. Assaf and S. H. Chung, “Release of endogenous Zn2+ from brain tissue during activity,” Nature, vol. 308, no. 5961, pp. 734–736, 1984.
- D. W. Choi and J. Y. Koh, “Zinc and brain injury,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 21, pp. 347–375, 1998.
- A. Côté, M. Chiasson, M. R. Peralta III, K. Lafortune, L. Pellegrini, and K. Tóth, “Cell type-specific action of seizure-induced intracellular zinc accumulation in the rat hippocampus,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 566, no. 3, pp. 821–837, 2005.
- H. Li, R. Swiercz, and E. W. Englander, “Elevated metals compromise repair of oxidative DNA damage via the base excision repair pathway: implications of pathologic iron overload in the brain on integrity of neuronal DNA,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 1774–1783, 2009.
- Y. Li, C. J. Hough, S. W. Suh, J. M. Sarvey, and C. J. Frederickson, “Rapid translocation of Zn2+ from presynaptic terminals into postsynaptic hippocampal neurons after physiological stimulation,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 2597–2604, 2001.
- C. J. Frederickson, J. Y. Koh, and A. I. Bush, “The neurobiology of zinc in health and disease,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 449–462, 2005.
- J. Ryu, C. Shin, J. W. Choi et al., “Depletion of intracellular glutathione mediates zinc-induced cell death in rat primary astrocytes,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 143, no. 2, pp. 257–263, 2002.
- E. Y. Kim, J. Y. Koh, Y. H. Kim, S. Sohn, E. Joe, and B. J. Gwag, “Zn2+ entry produces oxidative neuronal necrosis in cortical cell cultures,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 327–334, 1999.
- Y. H. Kim, E. Y. Kim, B. J. Gwag, S. Sohn, and J. Y. Koh, “Zinc-induced cortical neuronal death with features of apoptosis and necrosis: mediation by free radicals,” Neuroscience, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 175–182, 1999.
- G. W. Kim, Y. Gasche, S. Grzeschik, J. C. Copin, C. M. Maier, and P. H. Chan, “Neurodegeneration in striatum induced by the mitochondrial toxin 3-nitropropionic acid: role of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in early blood-brain barrier disruption?” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 25, pp. 8733–8742, 2003.
- G. M. Bishop, R. Dringen, and S. R. Robinson, “Zinc stimulates the production of toxic reactive oxygen species (ROS) and inhibits glutathione reductase in astrocytes,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1222–1230, 2007.
- N. C. Danbolt, “The high affinity uptake system for excitatory amino acids in the brain,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 377–396, 1994.
- G. Barreto, R. E. White, Y. Ouyang, L. Xu, and R. G. Giffard, “Astrocytes: targets for neuroprotection in stroke,” Central Nervous System Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 164–173, 2011.
- H. Song, C. F. Stevens, and F. H. Gage, “Astroglia induce neurogenesis from adult neural stem cells,” Nature, vol. 417, no. 6884, pp. 39–44, 2002.
- E. M. Ullian, K. S. Christopherson, and B. A. Barres, “Role for glia in synaptogenesis,” Glia, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 2004.
- K. Takuma, A. Baba, and T. Matsuda, “Astrocyte apoptosis: implications for neuroprotection,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 111–127, 2004.
- P. Åkerud, J. Alberch, S. Eketjäll, J. Wagner, and E. Arenas, “Differential effects of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor and neurturin on developing and adult substantia nigra dopaminergic neurons,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 70–78, 1999.
- R. E. Burke, M. Antonelli, and D. Sulzer, “Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic growth factor inhibits apoptotic death of postnatal substantia nigra dopamine neurons in primary culture,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 517–525, 1998.
- T. F. Oo, N. Kholodilov, and R. E. Burke, “Regulation of natural cell death in dopaminergic neurons of the substantia nigra by striatal glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in vivo,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 5141–5148, 2003.
- M. J. Bourque and L. E. Trudeau, “GDNF enhances the synaptic efficacy of dopaminergic neurons in culture,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 3172–3180, 2000.
- A. C. Yu, R. Y. Liu, Y. Zhang et al., “Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor protects astrocytes from staurosporine- and ischemia-induced apoptosis,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 85, no. 15, pp. 3457–3464, 2007.
- S. J. Robb, L. D. Robb-Gaspers, R. C. Scaduto, A. P. Thomas, and J. R. Connor, “Influence of calcium and iron on cell death and mitochondrial function in oxidatively stressed astrocytes,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 674–686, 1999.
- C. J. Feeney, M. V. Frantseva, P. L. Carlen et al., “Vulnerability of glial cells to hydrogen peroxide in cultured hippocampal slices,” Brain Research, vol. 1198, pp. 1–15, 2008.
- M. Lu, L. F. Hu, G. Hu, and J. S. Bian, “Hydrogen sulfide protects astrocytes against H2O2-induced neural injury via enhancing glutamate uptake,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 1705–1713, 2008.
- F. Bakkali, S. Averbeck, D. Averbeck, and M. Idaomar, “Biological effects of essential oils—a review,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 446–475, 2008.
- T. S. Anekonda and P. H. Reddy, “Can herbs provide a new generation of drugs for treating Alzheimer's disease?” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 361–376, 2005.
- V. Solfrizzi, F. Panza, and A. Capurso, “The role of diet in cognitive decline,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 95–110, 2003.
- H. J. Wengreen, R. G. Munger, C. D. Corcoran et al., “Antioxidant intake and cognitive function of elderly men and women: the Cache County study,” Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 230–237, 2007.
- R. M. A. Mansour, A. A. Ahmed, F. R. Melek, and N. A. M. Saleh, “The flavonoids of Pulicaria incisa,” Fitoterapia, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 186–187, 1990.
- N. A. M. Saleh, “Global phytochemistry: the Egyptian experience,” Phytochemistry, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 239–241, 2003.
- M. M. Shabana, Y. W. Mirhom, A. A. Genenah, E. A. Aboutabl, and H. A. Amer, “Study into wild Egyptian plants of potential medicinal activity. Ninth communication: hypoglycaemic activity of some selected plants in normal fasting and alloxanised rats.,” Archiv fur Experimentelle Veterinarmedizin, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 389–394, 1990.
- W. Abd El-Gleel and M. Hassanien, “Antioxidant properties and lipid profile of Diplotaxis harra, Pulicaria incisa and Avicennia marina,” Acta Alimentaria, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 143–151, 2012.
- M. M. A. Amer, M. F. Ramadan, and W. Abd El-Gleel, “Impact of pulicaria incisa, diplotaxis harra and avicennia marina as hypocholesterolemic agent,” Deutsche Lebensmittel-Rundschau, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 320–327, 2007.
- M. Stavri, K. T. Mathew, A. Gordon, S. D. Shnyder, R. A. Falconer, and S. Gibbons, “Guaianolide sesquiterpenes from Pulicaria crispa (Forssk.) oliv.,” Phytochemistry, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 1915–1918, 2008.
- V. W. Bowry and R. Stocker, “Tocopherol-mediated peroxidation. The prooxidant effect of vitamin E on the radical-initiated oxidation of human low-density lipoprotein,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, no. 14, pp. 6029–6044, 1993.
- E. Niki, M. Saito, Y. Yoshikawa, Y. Yamamoto, and Y. Kamiya, “Oxidation of lipids XII. Inhibition of oxidation of soybean phosphatidylcholine and methyl linoleate in aqueous dispersions by uric acid,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 471–477, 1986.
- M. J. Thomas, Q. Chen, C. Franklin, and L. L. Rudel, “A comparison of the kinetics of low-density lipoprotein oxidation initiated by copper or by azobis (2-amidinopropane),” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 927–935, 1997.
- H. Wang and J. A. Joseph, “Quantifying cellular oxidative stress by dichlorofluorescein assay using microplate reader,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5-6, pp. 612–616, 1999.
- K. L. Wolfe and H. L. Rui, “Cellular antioxidant activity (CAA) assay for assessing antioxidants, foods, and dietary supplements,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 22, pp. 8896–8907, 2007.
- J. Alberch, E. Pérez-Navarro, and J. M. Canals, “Neuroprotection by neurotrophins and GDNF family members in the excitotoxic model of Huntington's disease,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 817–822, 2002.
- E. A. Burton, J. C. Glorioso, and D. J. Fink, “Gene therapy progress and prospects: Parkinson's disease,” Gene Therapy, vol. 10, no. 20, pp. 1721–1727, 2003.
- Y. Manabe, I. Nagano, A. Gazi et al., “Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor protein prevents motor neuron loss of transgenic model mice for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Neurological Research, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 195–200, 2003.
- N. Altiok, M. Ersoz, V. Karpuz, and M. Koyuturk, “Ginkgo biloba extract regulates differentially the cell death induced by hydrogen peroxide and simvastatin,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 158–163, 2006.
- M. F. Ramadan, M. M. A. Amer, H. T. Mansour et al., “Bioactive lipids and antioxidant properties of wild Egyptian Pulicaria incise, Diplotaxis harra, and Avicennia marina,” Journal fur Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 239–245, 2009.
- Z. P. Chen, J. B. Schell, C. T. Ho, and K. Y. Chen, “Green tea epigallocatechin gallate shows a pronounced growth inhibitory effect on cancerous cells but not on their normal counterparts,” Cancer Letters, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 1998.
- J. P. Andrade and M. Assunção, “Protective effects of chronic green tea consumption on age-related neurodegeneration,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 4–14, 2012.
- M. Sano, M. Suzuki, T. Miyase, K. Yoshino, and M. Maeda-Yamamoto, “Novel antiallergic catechin derivatives isolated from oolong tea,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1906–1910, 1999.
- L. K. Han, T. Takaku, J. Li, Y. Kimura, and H. Okuda, “Anti-obesity action of oolong tea,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 98–105, 1999.
- D. L. McKay and J. B. Blumberg, “A review of the bioactivity of South African herbal teas: rooibos (Aspalathus linearis) and honeybush (Cyclopia intermedia),” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2007.
- M. Iriti, S. Vitalini, G. Fico, and F. Faoro, “Neuroprotective herbs and foods from different traditional medicines and diets,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 3517–3555, 2010.