- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 428538, 12 pages
Protective Role of Malvidin-3-Glucoside on Peroxynitrite-Induced Damage in Endothelial Cells by Counteracting Reactive Species Formation and Apoptotic Mitochondrial Pathway
1Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology (CNC), University of Coimbra, 3004-517 Coimbra, Portugal
2Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Coimbra, 3000-548 Coimbra, Portugal
Received 10 March 2012; Revised 7 May 2012; Accepted 8 May 2012
Academic Editor: Tullia Maraldi
Copyright © 2012 Joana Paixão et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. C. Wallace, “Anthocyanins in cardiovascular disease,” Advances in Nutrition, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- L. S. Wang and G. D. Stoner, “Anthocyanins and their role in cancer prevention,” Cancer Letters, vol. 269, no. 2, pp. 281–290, 2008.
- D. Tousoulis, A. M. Kampoli, N. Papageorgiou et al., “Pathophysiology of atherosclerosis: the role of inflammation,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 17, no. 37, pp. 4089–4110, 2011.
- A. J. Lusis, “Atherosclerosis,” Nature, vol. 407, no. 6801, pp. 233–241, 2000.
- H. Ischiropoulos, L. Zhu, and J. S. Beckman, “Peroxynitrite formation from macrophage-derived nitric oxide,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 298, no. 2, pp. 446–451, 1992.
- J. P. Cooke, “Flow, NO, and atherogenesis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 768–770, 2003.
- V. M. Darley-Usmar, N. Hogg, V. J. O'Leary, M. T. Wilson, and S. Moncada, “The simultaneous generation of superoxide and nitric oxide can initiate lipid peroxidation in human low density lipoprotein,” Free Radical Research Communications, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 9–20, 1992.
- C. Szabó, “Multiple pathways of peroxynitrite cytotoxicity,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 140-141, pp. 105–112, 2003.
- T. C. P. Dinis, C. L. Santos, and L. M. Almeida, “The apoprotein is the preferential target for peroxynitrite-induced LDL damage protection by dietary phenolic acids,” Free Radical Research, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 531–543, 2002.
- G. Peluffo and R. Radi, “Biochemistry of protein tyrosine nitration in cardiovascular pathology,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 291–302, 2007.
- P. Pacher, J. S. Beckman, and L. Liaudet, “Nitric oxide and peroxynitrite in health and disease,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 315–424, 2007.
- P. M. Brito, N. F. Simões, L. M. Almeida, and T. C. P. Dinis, “Resveratrol disrupts peroxynitrite-triggered mitochondrial apoptotic pathway: a role for Bcl-2,” Apoptosis, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1043–1053, 2008.
- M. M. Rahman, T. Ichiyanagi, T. Komiyama, Y. Hatano, and T. Konishi, “Superoxide radical- and peroxynitrite-scavenging activity of anthocyanins; structure-activity relationship and their synergism,” Free Radical Research, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 993–1002, 2006.
- J. Paixão, T. C. P. Dinis, and L. M. Almeida, “Dietary anthocyanins protect endothelial cells against peroxynitrite-induced mitochondrial apoptosis pathway and Bax nuclear translocation: an in vitro approach,” Apoptosis, pp. 1–14, 2011.
- I. Serraino, L. Dugo, P. Dugo et al., “Protective effects of cyanidin-3-O-glucoside from blackberry extract against peroxynitrite-induced endothelial dysfunction and vascular failure,” Life Sciences, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 1097–1114, 2003.
- M. F. F. Chong, R. MacDonald, and J. A. Lovegrove, “Fruit polyphenols and CVD risk: a review of human intervention studies,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 104, supplement 3, pp. S28–S39, 2010.
- E. E. Mulvihill and M. W. Huff, “Antiatherogenic properties of flavonoids: implications for cardiovascular health,” The Canadian journal of cardiology, vol. 26, A, pp. 17A–21A, 2010.
- G. Mazza, “Anthocyanins in grapes and grape products,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 341–371, 1995.
- T. K. McGhie and M. C. Walton, “The bioavailability and absorption of anthocyanins: towards a better understanding,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 702–713, 2007.
- K. A. Youdim, A. Martin, and J. A. Joseph, “Incorporation of the elderberry anthocyanins by endothelial cells increases protection against oxidative stress,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2000.
- J. He and M. M. Giusti, “Anthocyanins: natural colorants with health-promoting properties,” Annual Review of Food Science Technology, vol. 1, pp. 163–187, 2010.
- C. Manach, G. Williamson, C. Morand, A. Scalbert, and C. Rémésy, “Bioavailability and bioefficacy of polyphenols in humans. I. Review of 97 bioavailability studies,” The American journal of clinical nutrition, vol. 81, supplement 1, pp. 230S–242S, 2005.
- R. L. Prior and X. Wu, “Anthocyanins: structural characteristics that result in unique metabolic patterns and biological activities,” Free Radical Research, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1014–1028, 2006.
- U. Nöthlings, M. B. Schulze, C. Weikert et al., “Intake of vegetables, legumes, and fruit, and risk for all-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality in a European diabetic population,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 775–781, 2008.
- S. de Pascual-Teresa, D. A. Moreno, and C. García-Viguera, “Flavanols and anthocyanins in cardiovascular health: a review of current evidence,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1679–1703, 2010.
- M. P. Kähkönen and M. Heinonen, “Antioxidant activity of anthocyanins and their aglycons,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 628–633, 2003.
- A. Bub, B. Watzl, D. Heeb, G. Rechkemmer, and K. Briviba, “Malvidin-3-glucoside bioavailability in humans after ingestion of red wine, dealcoholized red wine and red grape juice,” European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 113–120, 2001.
- P. M. Brito, A. Mariano, L. M. Almeida, and T. C. P. Dinis, “Resveratrol affords protection against peroxynitrite-mediated endothelial cell death: a role for intracellular glutathione,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 164, no. 3, pp. 157–166, 2006.
- F. Denizot and R. Lang, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cell growth and survival—modifications to the tetrazolium dye procedure giving improved sensitivity and reliability,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 271–277, 1986.
- N. W. Kooy, J. A. Royall, H. Ischiropoulos, and J. S. Beckman, “Peroxynitrite-mediated oxidation of dihydrorhodamine 123,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 1994.
- B. Halliwell and M. Whiteman, “Measuring reactive species and oxidative damage in vivo and in cell culture: how should you do it and what do the results mean?” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 231–255, 2004.
- M. Whiteman, J. S. Armstrong, N. S. Cheung et al., “Peroxynitrite mediates calcium-dependent mitochondrial dysfunction and cell death via activation of calpains,” FASEB Journal, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1395–1397, 2004.
- R. L. Levine, J. A. Williams, E. R. Stadtman, and E. Shacter, “Carbonyl assays for determination of oxidatively modified proteins,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 233, pp. 346–357, 1994.
- M. Reers, “J-aggregate formation of a carbocyanine as a quantitative fluorescent indicator of membrane potential,” Biochemistry, vol. 30, no. 18, pp. 4480–4486, 1991.
- C. L. Murrant and M. B. Reid, “Detection of reactive oxygen and reactive nitrogen species in skeletal muscle,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 236–248, 2001.
- E. Shacter, “Quantification and significance of protein oxidation in biological samples,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, vol. 32, no. 3-4, pp. 307–326, 2000.
- R. L. Levine, D. Garland, C. N. Oliver et al., “Determination of carbonyl content in oxidatively modified proteins,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 186, pp. 464–478, 1990.
- G. M. Cohen, “Caspases: the executioners of apoptosis,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 326, part 1, pp. 1–16, 1997.
- M. L. Circu and T. Y. Aw, “Reactive oxygen species, cellular redox systems, and apoptosis,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 749–762, 2010.
- A. Gross, J. M. McDonnell, and S. J. Korsmeyer, “BCL-2 family members and the mitochondria in apoptosis,” Genes and Development, vol. 13, no. 15, pp. 1899–1911, 1999.
- T. Tsuda, “Dietary anthocyanin-rich plants: biochemical basis and recent progress in health benefits studies,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 159–170, 2012.
- J. A. Ross and C. M. Kasum, “Dietary flavonoids: bioavailability, metabolic effects, and safety,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 22, pp. 19–34, 2002.
- A. S. Pannala, S. Singh, and C. Rice-Evans, “Flavonoids as peroxynitrite scavengers in vitro,” Methods in Enzymology A, vol. 299, pp. 207–235, 1998.
- L. Marzocchella, M. Fantini, M. Benvenuto et al., “Dietary flavonoids: molecular mechanisms of action as anti-inflammatory agents,” Recent Patents on Inflammation Allergy Drug Discovery, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 200–220, 2011.
- A. Mauray, C. Felgines, C. Morand, A. Mazur, A. Scalbert, and D. Milenkovic, “Nutrigenomic analysis of the protective effects of bilberry anthocyanin-rich extract in apo E-deficient mice,” Genes and Nutrition, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 343–353, 2010.
- E. Shacter, “Protein oxidative damage,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 319, pp. 428–436, 2000.
- C. Szabó, H. Ischiropoulos, and R. Radi, “Peroxynitrite: biochemistry, pathophysiology and development of therapeutics,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 662–680, 2007.