- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 465020, 10 pages
Impact of Oral Ubiquinol on Blood Oxidative Stress and Exercise Performance
Cardiorespiratory-Metabolic Laboratory, The University of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152, USA
Received 5 April 2012; Accepted 4 June 2012
Academic Editor: Steve R. McAnulty
Copyright © 2012 Richard J. Bloomer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. N. Bhagavan and R. K. Chopra, “Plasma coenzyme Q10 response to oral ingestion of coenzyme Q10 formulations,” Mitochondrion, vol. 7, pp. S78–S88, 2007.
- G. P. Littarru and L. Tiano, “Bioenergetic and antioxidant properties of coenzyme Q10: recent developments,” Molecular Biotechnology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2007.
- S. K. Powers and M. J. Jackson, “Exercise-induced oxidative stress: cellular mechanisms and impact on muscle force production,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 1243–1276, 2008.
- S. Palazzetti, M. J. Richard, A. Favier, and I. Margaritis, “Overloaded training increases exercise-induced oxidative stress and damage,” Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 588–604, 2003.
- M. Frisard and E. Ravussin, “Energy metabolism and oxidative stress: impact on the metabolic syndrome and the aging process,” Endocrine, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 2006.
- K. Fisher-Wellman and R. J. Bloomer, “Acute exercise and oxidative stress: a 30 year history,” Dynamic Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, article no. 1, 2009.
- L. L. Ji, “Exercise at old age: does it increase or alleviate oxidative stress?” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 928, pp. 236–247, 2001.
- M. V. Miles, P. S. Horn, P. H. Tang et al., “Age-related changes in plasma coenzyme Q10 concentrations and redox state in apparently healthy children and adults,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 347, no. 1-2, pp. 139–144, 2004.
- M. C. Gomez-Cabrera, E. Domenech, M. Romagnoli et al., “Oral administration of vitamin C decreases muscle mitochondrial biogenesis and hampers training-induced adaptations in endurance performance,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 142–149, 2008.
- M. Ristow, K. Zarse, A. Oberbach et al., “Antioxidants prevent health-promoting effects of physical exercise in humans,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 21, pp. 8665–8670, 2009.
- P. Niklowitz, A. Sonnenschein, B. Janetzky, W. Andler, and T. Menke, “Enrichment of coenzyme Q10 in plasma and blood cells: defense against oxidative damage,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 257–262, 2007.
- A. Bonetti, F. Solito, G. Carmosino, A. M. Bargossi, and P. L. Fiorella, “Effect of ubidecarenone oral treatment on aerobic power in middle-aged trained subjects,” Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2000.
- H. Gökbel, I. Gül, M. Belviranli, and N. Okudan, “The effectsof coenzyme Q10 supplementation on performance during repeated bouts of supramaximal exercise in sedentary men,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 97–102, 2010.
- S. Zhou, Y. Zhang, A. Davie et al., “Muscle and plasma coenzyme Q10 concentration, aerobic power and exercise economy of healthy men in response to four weeks of supplementation,” Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 337–346, 2005.
- S. Beg, S. Javed, and K. Kohli, “Bioavailability enhancement of coenzyme q10: an extensive review of patents,” Recent Patents on Drug Delivery and Formulation, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 245–255, 2010.
- K. Mizuno, M. Tanaka, S. Nozaki et al., “Antifatigue effects of coenzyme Q10 during physical fatigue,” Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 293–299, 2008.
- K. Hosoe, M. Kitano, H. Kishida, H. Kubo, K. Fujii, and M. Kitahara, “Study on safety and bioavailability of ubiquinol (Kaneka QH) after single and 4-week multiple oral administration to healthy volunteers,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 2007.
- H. N. Bhagavan and R. K. Chopra, “Coenzyme Q10: absorption, tissue uptake, metabolism and pharmacokinetics,” Free Radical Research, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 445–453, 2006.
- H. Ikematsu, K. Nakamura, S. I. Harashima, K. Fujii, and N. Fukutomi, “Safety assessment of coenzyme Q10 (Kaneka Q10) in healthy subjects: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 212–218, 2006.
- T. Hidaka, K. Fujii, I. Funahashi, N. Fukutomi, and K. Hosoe, “Safety assessment of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10),” BioFactors, vol. 32, no. 1-4, pp. 199–208, 2008.
- A. M. Jentzsch, H. Bachmann, P. Fürst, and H. K. Biesalski, “Improved analysis of malondialdehyde in human body fluids,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 251–256, 1996.
- P. H. Tang, M. V. Miles, A. DeGrauw, A. Hershey, and A. Pesce, “HPLC analysis of reduced and oxidized coenzyme Q10 in human plasma,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 256–265, 2001.
- C. Weber, T. Sejersgard Jakobsen, S. A. Mortensen, G. Paulsen, and G. Holmer, “Antioxidative effect of dietary coenzyme Q10 in human blood plasma,” International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 311–315, 1994.
- R. J. Bloomer and K. H. Fisher-Wellman, “Blood oxidative stress biomarkers: influence of sex, exercise training status, and dietary intake,” Gender Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 218–228, 2008.
- L. L. Ji, M. C. Gomez-Cabrera, and J. Vina, “Role of free radicals and antioxidant signaling in skeletal muscle health and pathology,” Infectious Disorders. Drug Targets, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 428–444, 2009.
- I. Margaritis and A. S. Rousseau, “Does physical exercise modify antioxidant requirements?” Nutrition Research Reviews, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 2008.
- S. L. Williams, N. A. Strobel, L. A. Lexis, and J. S. Coombes, “Antioxidant requirements of endurance athletes: implications for health,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 93–108, 2006.
- R. J. Bloomer, “Chapter 1 effect of exercise on oxidative stress biomarkers,” Advances in Clinical Chemistry, vol. 46, pp. 1–50, 2008.
- P. Tauler, M. D. Ferrer, A. Sureda et al., “Supplementation with an antioxidant cocktail containing coenzyme Q prevents plasma oxidative damage induced by soccer,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 777–785, 2008.
- I. Gül, H. Gökbel, M. Belviranli, N. Okudan, S. Büyükbaş, and K. Basarali, “Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense in plasma after repeated bouts of supramaximal exercise: the effect of coenzyme Q10,” Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 305–312, 2011.
- B. Braun, P. M. Clarkson, P. S. Freedson, and R. L. Kohl, “Effects of coenzyme Q10 supplementation on exercise performance, VO2max, and lipid peroxidation in trained cyclists,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 353–365, 1991.
- J. Kaikkonen, L. Kosonen, K. Nyyssönen et al., “Effect of combined coenzyme Q10 and d-α-tocopheryl acetate supplementation on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation and muscular damage: a placebo-controlled double-blind study in marathon runners,” Free Radical Research, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 85–92, 1998.
- R. Laaksonen, M. Fogelholm, J. J. Himberg, J. Laakso, and Y. Salorinne, “Ubiquinone supplementation and exercise capacity in trained young and older men,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 95–100, 1995.
- M. Atalay, J. Lappalainen, and C. K. Sen, “Dietary antioxidants for the athlete,” Current sports medicine reports, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 182–186, 2006.
- S. Powers, W. B. Nelson, and E. Larson-Meyer, “Antioxidant and vitamin D supplements for athletes: sense or nonsense?” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 29, supplement 1, pp. S47–S55, 2011.
- M. Cooke, M. Iosia, T. Buford et al., “Effects of acute and 14-day coenzyme Q10 supplementation on exercise performance in both trained and untrained individuals,” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, vol. 5, article no. 8, 2008.
- B. Östman, A. Sjödin, K. Michaëlsson, and L. Byberg, “Coenzyme Q10 supplementation and exercise-induced oxidative stress in humans,” Nutrition, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 403–417, 2012.
- S. B. Weston, S. Zhou, R. P. Weatherby, and S. J. Robson, “Does exogenous coenzyme Q10 affect aerobic capacity in endurance athletes?” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 197–206, 1997.