- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 486190, 8 pages
Oxidative Stress and Pulmonary Changes in Experimental Liver Cirrhosis
1Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), 90035-903 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
2Laboratory of Hepatology and Experimental Gastroenterology, Hospital Clinics of Porto Alegre (HCPA), 90035-903 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
3Laboratory of Airway and Lung, Hospital Clinics of Porto Alegre (HCPA), 90035-903 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
4Graduate Program in Human Movement Sciences and Respiratory Sciences, UFRGS, 90035-903 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
5Lutheran University of Brazil (ULBRA), Canoas, Rs, Brazil
Received 10 September 2012; Revised 31 October 2012; Accepted 26 November 2012
Academic Editor: Oren Tirosh
Copyright © 2012 Renata Salatti Ferrari et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. B. Fallon, “Mechanisms of pulmonary vascular complications of liver disease: hepatopulmonary syndrome,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 39, Supplement 2, no. 4, pp. S138–S142, 2005.
- S. Sherlock and J. Dooley, Doenças do Fígado e do Sistema Biliar, Guanabara Koogan, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 11th edition, 2004.
- D. Schuppan and N. H. Afdhal, “Liver cirrhosis,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9615, pp. 838–851, 2008.
- S. Rajendrasozhan, S. R. Yang, I. Edirisinghe, H. Yao, D. Adenuga, and I. Rahman, “Deacetylases and NF-κB in redox regulation of cigarette smoke-induced lung inflammation: epigenetics in pathogenesis of COPD,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 799–811, 2008.
- T. J. Park, J. Y. Kim, S. P. Oh et al., “TIS21 negatively regulates hepatocarcinogenesis by disruption of cyclin B1-forkhead box M1 regulation loop,” Hepatology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1533–1543, 2008.
- A. Srinivas, P. J. Rao, G. Selvam, A. Goparaju, B. P. Murthy, and N. P. Reddy, “Oxidative stress and inflammatory responses of rat following acute inhalation exposure to iron oxide nanoparticles,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1113–1131.
- H. L. Fang and W. C. Lin, “Lipid peroxidation products do not activate hepatic stellate cells,” Toxicology, vol. 253, no. 1–3, pp. 36–45, 2008.
- K. Neubauer, A. Ritzel, B. Saile, and G. Ramadori, “Decrease of platelet-endothelial cell adhesion molecule 1-gene-expression in inflammatory cells and in endothelial cells in the rat liver following CCl4-administration and in vitro after treatment with TNFα,” Immunology Letters, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 153–164, 2000.
- A. Boveris, O. R. Koch, and A. O. M. Stoppani, “Decreased rate of hydrogen peroxide production by liver mitochondria in chronic experimental alcoholism,” Medicina, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 647–651, 1978.
- S. Bona, L. I. Filippin, F. C. Di Naso, et al., “Effect of antioxidant treatment on fibrogenesis in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced cirrhosis,” ISRN Gastroenterol, vol. 2012, Article ID 762920, 7 pages, 2012.
- A. Pavanato, M. J. Tuñón, S. Sánchez-Campos, et al., “Effects of quercetin on liver damage in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced cirrhosis,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 824–829, 2003.
- H. Rozmiarek, “Current and future policies regarding laboratory animal welfare,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 175–179, 1987.
- B. G. Flecha, S. Llesuy, and A. Boveris, “Hydroperoxide-initiated chemiluminescence: an assay for oxidative stress in biopsies of heart, liver, and muscle,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 93–100, 1991.
- H. P. Misra and I. Fridovich, “The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 247, no. 10, pp. 3170–3175, 1972.
- A. Boveris and B. Chance, “The mitochondrial generation of hydrogen peroxide. General properties and effect of hyperbaric oxygen,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 707–716, 1973.
- U. K. Laemmli, E. Molbert, M. Showe, and E. Kellenberger, “Form-determining function of the genes required for the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 99–113, 1970.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- T. Fujii, B. C. Fuchs, S. Yamada et al., “Mouse model of carbon tetrachloride induced liver fibrosis: histopathological changes and expression of CD133 and epidermal growth factor,” BMC Gastroenterology, vol. 10, article 79, 2010.
- P. M. Amália, M. N. Possa, M. C. Augusto, and L. S. Francisca, “Quercetin prevents oxidative stress in cirrhotic rats,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 2616–2621, 2007.
- S. W. Chang and N. Ohara, “Increased pulmonary vascular permeability in rats with biliary cirrhosis: role of thromboxane A2,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 264, no. 3, pp. L245–L252, 1993.
- A. Pastor, P. S. Collado, M. Almar, and J. González-Gallego, “Antioxidant enzyme status in biliary obstructed rats: effects of N-acetylcysteine,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 363–370, 1997.
- W. Peres, M. J. Tunon, P. S. Collado, S. Herrmann, N. Marroni, and J. González-Gallego, “The flavonoid quercetin ameliorates liver damage in rats with biliary obstruction,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 742–750, 2000.
- R. V. Cremonese, A. A. Pereira-Filho, R. Magalhães, et al., “Experimental cirrhosis induced by carbon tetrachloride inhalation: adaptation of the technique and evaluation of lipid peroxidation,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 40–47, 2001.
- G. Pereira-Filho, C. Ferreira, A. Schwengber, C. Marroni, C. Zettler, and N. Marroni, “Role of N-acetylcysteine on fibrosis and oxidative stress in cirrhotic rats,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 156–162, 2008.
- J. Tieppo, R. Vercelino, A. S. Dias et al., “Evaluation of the protective effects of quercetin in the hepatopulmonary syndrome,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1140–1146, 2007.
- L. Jiang, J. Huang, Y. Wang, and H. Tang, “Metabonomic analysis reveals the CCl4-induced systems alterations for multiple rat organs,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 3848–3859, 2012.
- R. Vercelino, J. Tieppo, L. A. Forgiarini, A. S. Dias, C. A. Marroni, and N. P. Marroni, “Experimental models for assessment of pulmonary alterations in hepatopulmonary syndrome,” Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 453–460, 2008.
- A. G. N. Agusti, J. Roca, and R. Rodriguez-Roisin, “Mechanisms of gas exchange impairment in patients with liver cirrhosis,” Clinics in Chest Medicine, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 49–66, 1996.
- J. E. Naschitz, G. Slobodin, R. J. Lewis, E. Zuckerman, and D. Yeshurun, “Heart diseases affecting the liver and liver diseases affecting the heart,” American Heart Journal, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 111–120, 2000.
- A. Lockhart, “Pulmonary arterial hypertension in portal hypertension,” Clinics in Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 123–138, 1985.
- K. S. Lee, M. Buck, K. Houglum, and M. Chojkier, “Activation of hepatic stellate cells by TGFα and collagen type I is mediated by oxidative stress through c-myb expression,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 96, no. 5, pp. 2461–2468, 1995.
- S. L. Friedman, “Mechanisms of hepatic fibrogenesis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 6, pp. 1655–1669, 2008.
- A. M. Diehl, Z. P. Li, H. Z. Lin, and S. Q. Yang, “Cytokines and the pathogenesis of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 303–306, 2005.
- G. C. Farrell and C. Z. Larter, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: from steatosis to cirrhosis,” Hepatology, vol. 43, supplement 1, no. 2, pp. S99–S112, 2006.
- Y. L. Jin, W. L. Zhang, S. Q. Yao, et al., “Macrophage apoptosis and the levels of interleukin-1 and interleukin-8 in the rats exposed to silica,” Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 562–566, 2011.
- A. Jiang, C. Liu, F. Liu, et al., “Liver cold preservation induce lung surfactant changes and acute lung injury in rat liver transplantation,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 323–330, 2012.
- R. Lafyatis and A. Farina, “New insights into the mechanisms of innate immune receptor signalling in fibrosis,” The Open Rheumatology Journal, vol. 6, pp. 72–79, 2012.