- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 491759, 8 pages
Apple Can Act as Anti-Aging on Yeast Cells
1Dipartimento di Biologia e Biotecnologie Charles Darwin, Istituto Pasteur-Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti, Sapienza Università di Roma, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Roma, Italy
2Food Quality and Nutrition Department, Research and Innovation Centre, Fondazione Edmund Mach, Via E. Mach 1, 38010 San Michele all’Adige, Italy
3Dipartimento di Chimica e Tecnologie del Farmaco, Istituto Pasteur-Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti, Sapienza Università di Roma, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Roma, Italy
Received 31 May 2012; Revised 7 July 2012; Accepted 14 July 2012
Academic Editor: Paula Ludovico
Copyright © 2012 Vanessa Palermo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Velasco, A. Zharkikh, J. Affourtit et al., “The genome of the domesticated apple (Malus × domestica Borkh.),” Nature Genetics, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 833–839, 2010.
- S. Reagan-Shaw, D. Eggert, H. Mukhtar, and N. Ahmad, “Antiproliferative effects of apple peel extract against cancer cells,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 517–524, 2010.
- C. Gerhauser, “Cancer chemopreventive potential of apples, apple juice, and apple components,” Planta Medica, vol. 74, no. 13, pp. 1608–1624, 2008.
- J. Boyer and R. H. Liu, “Apple phytochemicals and their health benefits,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 3, article no. 1, pp. 1–45, 2004.
- T. K. McGhie, S. Hudault, R. C. M. Lunken, and J. T. Christeller, “Apple peels, from seven cultivars, have lipase-inhibitory activity and contain numerous ursenoic acids as identified by LC-ESI-QTOF-HRMS,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 482–491, 2012.
- U. Vrhovsek, A. Rigo, D. Tonon, and F. Mattivi, “Quantitation of polyphenols in different apple varieties,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 21, pp. 6532–6538, 2004.
- P. Vanzani, M. Rossetto, A. Rigo et al., “Major phytochemicals in apple cultivars: contribution to peroxyl radical trapping efficiency,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 3377–3382, 2005.
- R. H. Liu and J. Sun, “Antiproliferative activity of apples is not due to phenolic-induced hydrogen peroxide formation,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1718–1723, 2003.
- M. Waldecker, T. Kautenburger, H. Daumann et al., “Histone-deacetylase inhibition and butyrate formation: fecal slurry incubations with apple pectin and apple juice extracts,” Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 366–374, 2008.
- M. G. Mirisola and V. D. Longo, “Conserved role of Ras-GEFs in promoting aging: from yeast to mice,” Aging, vol. 3, pp. 340–343, 2011.
- D. Carmona-Gutierrez, T. Eisenberg, S. Büttner, C. Meisinger, G. Kroemer, and F. Madeo, “Apoptosis in yeast: triggers, pathways, subroutines,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 763–773, 2010.
- A. Cassidy-Stone, J. E. Chipuk, E. Ingerman et al., “Chemical inhibition of the mitochondrial division dynamin reveals its role in bax/bak-dependent mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization,” Developmental Cell, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 193–204, 2008.
- V. Palermo, C. Falcone, M. Calvani, and C. Mazzoni, “Acetyl-L-carnitine protects yeast cells from apoptosis and aging and inhibits mitochondrial fission.,” Aging cell, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 570–579, 2010.
- C. Mazzoni and C. Falcone, “Isolation and study of KILSM4, a Kluyveromyces lactis gene homologous to the essential gene LSM4 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Yeast, vol. 18, no. 13, pp. 1249–1256, 2001.
- C. Mazzoni, P. Mancini, F. Madeo, V. Palermo, and C. Falcone, “A Kluyveromyces lactis mutant in the essential gene KlLSM4 shows phenotypic markers of apoptosis,” FEMS Yeast Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2003.
- C. Mazzoni, E. Herker, V. Palermo et al., “Yeast caspase 1 links messenger RNA stability to apoptosis in yeast,” EMBO Reports, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1076–1081, 2005.
- M. Cooper, L. H. Johnston, and J. D. Beggs, “Identification and characterization of Uss1p (Sdb23p): a novel U6 snRNA-associated protein with significant similarity to core proteins of small nuclear ribonucleoproteins,” EMBO Journal, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 2066–2075, 1995.
- A. E. Mayes, L. Verdone, P. Legrain, and J. D. Beggs, “Characterization of Sm-like proteins in yeast and their association with U6 snRNA,” EMBO Journal, vol. 18, no. 15, pp. 4321–4331, 1999.
- C. Mazzoni, P. Mancini, L. Verdone et al., “A truncated form of K1Lsm4p and the absence of factors involved in mRNA decapping trigger apoptosis in yeast,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 721–729, 2003.
- F. Chinnici, A. Bendini, A. Gaiani, and C. Riponi, “Radical scavenging activities of peels and pulps from cv. golden delicious apples as related to their phenolic composition,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 15, pp. 4684–4689, 2004.
- P. Franceschi, Y. Dong, K. Strupat, U. Vrhovsek, and F. Mattivi, “Combining intensity correlation analysis and MALDI imaging to study the distribution of flavonols and dihydrochalcones in Golden Delicious apples,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 1123–1133, 2012.
- G. La Regina, T. Sarkar, R. Bai et al., “New arylthioindoles and related bioisosteres at the sulfur bridging group. 4. Synthesis, tubulin polymerization, cell growth inhibition, and molecular modeling studies,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 23, pp. 7512–7527, 2009.
- V. Palermo, L. Pieri, R. Silvestri, G. La Regina, C. Falcone, and C. Mazzoni, “Drug-induced inhibition of tubulin polymerization induces mitochondrion-mediated apoptosis in yeast,” Cell Cycle, vol. 10, no. 18, pp. 3208–3209, 2011.
- C. Mazzoni and C. Falcone, “mRNA stability and control of cell proliferation,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1461–1465, 2011.
- C. Mazzoni and C. Falcone, “Caspase-dependent apoptosis in yeast,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1783, no. 7, pp. 1320–1327, 2008.
- V. Palermo, C. Falcone, and C. Mazzoni, “Apoptosis and aging in mitochondrial morphology mutants of S. cerevisiae,” Folia Microbiologica, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 479–483, 2007.
- F. Madeo, E. Fröhlich, M. Ligr et al., “Oxygen stress: a regulator of apoptosis in yeast,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 145, no. 4, pp. 757–767, 1999.
- A. Rigo, F. Vianello, G. Clementi et al., “Contribution of proanthocyanidins to the peroxy radical scavenging capacity of some Italian red wines,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1996–2002, 2000.