- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 534934, 11 pages
Isoliquiritigenin-Induced Differentiation in Mouse Melanoma B16F0 Cell Line
1Key Laboratory of Xinjiang Endemic Phytomedicine Resources of Ministry of Education, School of Pharmacy, Shihezi University, Shihezi 832002, China
2Lanzhou University Second Hospital, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou 730000, China
3Life Science School, Yantai University, Yantai 264000, China
Received 5 September 2012; Revised 3 November 2012; Accepted 8 November 2012
Academic Editor: Jing Yi
Copyright © 2012 Xiaoyu Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. T. Hoeng and L. F. Eichenfield, “The rising incidence of melanoma in children and adolescents,” Dermatology Nursing, vol. 12, pp. 188–193, 2000.
- W. Englaro, R. Rezzonico, M. Durand-Clement, D. Lallemand, J. P. Ortonne -, and R. Ballotti, “Mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway and AP-1 are activated during cAMP-induced melanogenesis in B-16 melanoma cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 41, pp. 24315–24320, 1995.
- R. Buscà, C. Bertolotto, J. P. Ortonne, and R. Ballotti, “Inhibition of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/p70(S6)-kinase pathway induces B16 melanoma cell differentiation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 50, pp. 31824–31830, 1996.
- W. Englaro, C. Bertolotto, R. Buscà et al., “Inhibition of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway triggers B16 melanoma cell differentiation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 16, pp. 9966–9970, 1998.
- X. Zhao, Y. Wakamatsu, M. Shibahara et al., “Mannosylerythritol lipid is a potent inducer of apoptosis and differentiation of mouse melanoma cells in culture,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 482–486, 1999.
- M. B. Sporn and A. B. Roberts, “Role of retinoids in differentiation and carcinogenesis,” Cancer Research, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 3034–3040, 1983.
- Y. Zhao, J. Liu, and K. E. McMartin, “Inhibition of NADPH oxidase activity promotes differentiation of B16 melanoma cells,” Oncology Reports, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 1225–1230, 2008.
- J. Smith, E. Ladi, M. Mayer-Pröschel, and M. Noble, “Redox state is a central modulator of the balance between self-renewal and differentiation in a dividing glial precursor cell,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 18, pp. 10032–10037, 2000.
- D. K. S. Clair, T. D. Oberley, K. E. Muse, and W. H. S. Clair, “Expression of manganese superoxide dismutase promotes cellular differentiation,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 275–282, 1994.
- J. M. C. Gutteridge and B. Halliwell, “Free radicals and antioxidants in the year 2000. A historical look to the future,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 899, pp. 136–147, 2000.
- Y. M. Kim, T. H. Kim, Y. W. Kim et al., “Inhibition of liver X receptor-α-dependent hepatic steatosis by isoliquiritigenin, a licorice antioxidant flavonoid, as mediated by JNK1 inhibition,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 1722–1734, 2010.
- V. R. Yadav, S. Prasad, B. Sung, and B. B. Aggarwal, “The role of chalcones in suppression of NF-κB-mediated inflammation and cancer,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 295–309, 2011.
- S. Shibata, “A drug over the millennia: pharmacognosy, chemistry, and pharmacology of licorice,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 120, no. 10, pp. 849–862, 2000.
- A. D. Kinghorn, B. N. Su, S. J. Dae et al., “Natural inhibitors of carcinogenesis,” Planta Medica, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 691–705, 2004.
- X. Yuan, B. Zhang, N. Chen et al., “Isoliquiritigenin treatment induces apoptosis by increasing intracellular ROS levels in HeLa cells,” Journal of Asian Natural Products Research, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 789–798, 2012.
- D. Li, Z. Wang, H. Chen et al., “Isoliquiritigenin induces monocytic differentiation of HL-60 cells,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 731–736, 2009.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- Y. Liang, X. Hou, Q. Cui et al., “Skp2 expression unfavorably impacts survival in resectable esophageal squamous cell carcinoma,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 18, pp. 10–73, 2012.
- D. Alesiani, R. Cicconi, M. Mattei, C. Montesano, R. Bei, and A. Canini, “Cell cycle arrest and differentiation induction by 5,7-dimethoxycoumarin in melanoma cell lines,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 425–434, 2008.
- M. Y. Choi, H. S. Song, H. S. Hur, and S. S. Sim, “Whitening activity of luteolin related to the inhibition of cAMP pathway in α-MSH-stimulated B16 melanoma cells,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1166–1171, 2008.
- Y. M. Choi, H. J. Jun, K. Dawson et al., “Effects of the isoflavone puerarin and its glycosides on melanogenesis in B16 melanocytes,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 231, no. 1, pp. 75–83, 2010.
- Y. L. Pan, S. Zheng, Z. X. Xiao, J. Cao, and H. P. Yao, “Subcutaneous transplantation of microencapsulated Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells/pcDNA 3.1/mIL-12 and subcutaneous transplantation of microencapsulated CHO/pcDNA3.1/mIL-12 combined with 5-fluoro-uracil in treatment of tumor-burdened mice,” Zhonghua yi xue za zhi, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 51–54, 2003.
- V. G. Martinez, K. J. Williams, I. J. Stratford, M. Clynes, and R. O'Connor, “Overexpression of cytochrome P450 NADPH reductase sensitises MDA 231 breast carcinoma cells to 5-fluorouracil: Possible mechanisms involved,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 582–588, 2008.
- R. M. Umek, A. D. Friedman, and S. L. McKnight, “CCAAT-enhancer binding protein: a component of a differentiation switch,” Science, vol. 251, no. 4991, pp. 288–292, 1991.
- P. Valverde, J. C. Garcia-Borron, C. Jimenez-Cervantes, F. Solano, and J. A. Lozano, “Tyrosinase isoenzymes in mammalian melanocytes. 2. Differential activation by α-melanocyte-stimulating hormone,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 541–548, 1993.
- A. Gismondi, A. Lentini, C. Tabolacci, B. Provenzano, and S. Beninati, “Transglutaminase-dependent antiproliferative and differentiative properties of nimesulide on B16-F10 mouse melanoma cells,” Amino Acids, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 257–262, 2010.
- K. Iozumi, G. E. Hoganson, R. Pennella, M. A. Everett, and B. B. Fuller, “Role of tyrosinase as the determinant of pigmentation in cultured human melanocytes,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 806–811, 1993.
- D. W. Hedley, E. A. McCulloch, M. D. Minden, S. Chow, and J. Curtis, “Antileukemic action of buthionine sulfoximine: evidence for an intrinsic death mechanism based on oxidative stress,” Leukemia, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1545–1552, 1998.
- M. Zafarullah, W. Q. Li, J. Sylvester, and M. Ahmad, “Molecular mechanisms of N-acetylcysteine actions,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 6–20, 2003.
- K. Bedard and K. H. Krause, “The NOX family of ROS-generating NADPH oxidases: physiology and pathophysiology,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 245–313, 2007.
- Y. J. Kim, “Antimelanogenic and antioxidant properties of gallic acid,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1052–1055, 2007.
- M. Leszczyniecka, T. Roberts, P. Dent, S. Grant, and P. B. Fisher, “Differentiation therapy of human cancer: basic science and clinical applications,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 90, no. 2-3, pp. 105–156, 2001.
- J. Pan and S. C. J. Yeung, “Recent advances in understanding the antineoplastic mechanisms of farnesyltransferase inhibitors,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 20, pp. 9109–9112, 2005.
- W. C. Chou, C. Jie, A. A. Kenedy, R. J. Jones, M. A. Trush, and C. V. Dang, “Role of NADPH oxidase in arsenic-induced reactive oxygen species formation and cytotoxicity in myeloid leukemia cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 13, pp. 4578–4583, 2004.