- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 572090, 8 pages
Antioxidant Status in Elite Three-Day Event Horses during Competition
1Department of Animal Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
2Animal and Avian Sciences Department, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Received 14 February 2012; Accepted 22 April 2012
Academic Editor: Manfred Lamprecht
Copyright © 2012 Carey A. Williams and Amy O. Burk. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. McBride and W. J. Kraemer, “Free radicals, exercise, and antioxidants,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 175–183, 1999.
- E. Chiaradia, L. Avellini, F. Rueca et al., “Physical exercise, oxidative stress and muscle damage in racehorses,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 833–836, 1998.
- A. White, M. Estrada, K. Walker et al., “Role of exercise and ascorbate on plasma antioxidant capacity in thoroughbred race horses,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 99–104, 2001.
- A. Frankiewicz-Jóźko and E. Szarska, “Anti-oxidant level to exercise in the blood of endurance horses,” Biology of Sport, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 217–227, 2000.
- D. J. Marlin, K. Fenn, N. Smith et al., “Changes in circulatory antioxidant status in horses during prolonged exercise,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 1622S–1627S, 2002.
- D. R. Henneke, G. D. Potter, J. L. Kreider, and B. F. Yeates, “Relationship between condition score, physical measurements and body fat percentage in mares,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 371–372, 1983.
- C. A. Williams, D. S. Kronfeld, T. M. Hess et al., “Antioxidant supplementation and subsequent oxidative stress of horses during an 80-km endurance race,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 588–594, 2004.
- A. O. Burk and C. A. Williams, “Feeding management practices and supplement use in top level event horses,” Comparative Exercise Physiology, vol. 5, pp. 85–93, 2008.
- C. A. Williams and A. O. Burk, “Nutrient intake during an elite level three-day event competition is correlated to inflammatory markers and antioxidant status,” Equine Veterinary Journal, vol. 42, no. 38, pp. 116–122, 2010.
- J. C. M. Soares, R. Zanella, C. Bondan et al., “Biochemical and antioxidant changes in plasma, serum, and erythrocytes of horses before and after a jumping competition,” Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 357–360, 2011.
- B. de Moffarts, N. Kirschvink, E. van Erck, T. Art, J. Pincemail, and P. Lekeux, “Assessment of the oxidant-antioxidant blood balance in a field exercise test in Standardbred and eventing horses,” Equine and Comparative Exercise Physiology, vol. 2, pp. 253–261, 2006.
- T. D. Noakes, “Effect of exercise on serum enzyme activities in humans,” Sports Medicine, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 245–267, 1987.
- P. A. Harris, “Musculoskeletal disease,” in Equine Internal Medicine, S. M. Reed and W. M. Baylye, Eds., pp. 375–397, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1998.
- P. C. Mills, “Effects of exercise intensity and environmental stress on indices of oxidative stress and iron homeostasis during exercise in the horse,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 60–66, 1996.
- A. Linden, T. Art, H. Amory, A. M. Massart, C. Burvenich, and P. Lekeux, “Quantitative buffy coat analysis related to adrenocortical function in horses during a three-day event competition,” Zentralblatt fur Veterinarmedizin. Reihe A, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 376–382, 1991.
- G. L. Ecker and M. I. Lindinger, “Water and ion losses during the cross-country phase of eventing,” Equine veterinary journal. Supplement, no. 20, pp. 111–119, 1995.
- S. L. White, L. H. Williamson, P. L. Maykuth, S. P. Cole, F. M. Andrews, and D. R. Geiser, “Heart rate response and plasma lactate concentrations of horses competing in the cross-country phase of combined training events,” Equine Veterinary Journal. Supplement, no. 20, pp. 47–51, 1995.
- S. L. White, L. H. Williamson, P. L. Maykuth, S. P. Cole, F. M. Andrews, and D. R. Geiser, “Heart rate response and plasma lactate concentrations of horses competing in the cross-country phase of combined training events,” Equine Veterinary Journal. Supplement, no. 18, pp. 463–467, 1995.
- L. H. Williamson, F. M. Andrews, P. L. Maykuth, S. L. White, and E. M. Green, “Biochemical changes in three-day-event horses at the beginning, middle and end of Phase C and after Phase D,” Equine veterinary journal. Supplement, no. 22, pp. 92–98, 1996.
- J. K. Murray, J. M. Senior, and E. R. Singer, “A comparison of cross-country recovery rates at CCI 2* with and without steeplechase competitions,” Equine veterinary journal. Supplement, no. 36, pp. 133–138, 2006.
- C. A. Williams, D. S. Kronfeld, T. M. Hess, et al., “Comparison of oxidative stress and antioxidant status in endurance horses in three 80 km races,” Equine and Comparative Exercise Physiology, vol. 2, pp. 153–157, 2005.
- C. A. Williams, D. S. Kronfeld, T. M. Hess, K. E. Saker, and P. A. Harris, “Lipoic acid and vitamin E supplementation to horses diminishes endurance exercise induced oxidative stress, muscle enzyme leakage, and apoptosis,” in The Elite Race and Endurance Horse, A. Lindner, Ed., pp. 105–119, CESMAS, Oslo, Norway, 2004.
- M. G. Traber, “Vitamin E,” in Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, M. Shils, J. Olson, M. Shike, and A. C. Ross, Eds., pp. 347–362, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 9th edition, 1999.