- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 627843, 9 pages
An Investigation of the Relationship between the Anti-Inflammatory Activity, Polyphenolic Content, and Antioxidant Activities of Cooked and In Vitro Digested Culinary Herbs
School of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames KT1 2EE, UK
Received 10 February 2012; Accepted 14 March 2012
Academic Editor: David Vauzour
Copyright © 2012 Magali Chohan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. C. Tapsell, I. Hemphill, L. Cobiac et al., “Health benefits of herbs and spices: the past, the present, the future,” The Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. S4–24, 2006.
- M. Viuda-Martos, Y. Ruiz-Navajas, J. Fernández-López, and J. A. Pérez-Álvarez, “Spices as functional foods,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 13–28, 2011.
- P. M. Kris-Etherton, K. D. Hecker, A. Bonanome et al., “Bioactive compounds in foods: their role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 113, no. 9, pp. 71s–88s, 2002.
- M. Singh, M. Arseneault, T. Sanderson, V. Murthy, and C. Ramassamy, “Challenges for research on polyphenols from foods in Alzheimer's disease: bioavailability, metabolism, and cellular and molecular mechanisms,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 13, pp. 4855–4873, 2008.
- C. M. Kaefer and J. A. Milner, “The role of herbs and spices in cancer prevention,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 347–361, 2008.
- M. H. Pan, C. S. Lai, and C. T. Ho, “Anti-inflammatory activity of natural dietary flavonoids,” Food and Function, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 15–31, 2010.
- V. Neveu, J. Perez-Jiménez, F. Vos et al., “Phenol-Explorer: an online comprehensive database on polyphenol contents in foods,” Database, vol. 2010, 2010.
- S. S. Huang and R. L. Zheng, “Rosmarinic acid inhibits angiogenesis and its mechanism of action in vitro,” Cancer Letters, vol. 239, no. 2, pp. 271–280, 2006.
- Z. Zhao, S. S. Hee, H. Satsu, M. Totsuka, and M. Shimizu, “5-Caffeoylquinic acid and caffeic acid down-regulate the oxidative stress- and TNF-α-induced secretion of interleukin-8 from Caco-2 cells,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 3863–3868, 2008.
- N. Pellegrini, M. Serafini, B. Colombi et al., “Total antioxidant capacity of plant foods, beverages and oils consumed in Italy assessed by three different in vitro assays,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 9, pp. 2812–2819, 2003.
- I. Asano, K. Hamaguchi, S. Fujii, and H. Iino, “In vitro digestibility and fermentation of mannooligosaccharides from coffee mannan,” Food Science and Technology Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 2003.
- R. P. Glahn, E. M. Wien, D. R. Van Campen, and D. D. Miller, “Caco-2 cell iron uptake from meat and casein digests parallels in vivo studies: use of a novel in vitro method for rapid estimation of iron bioavailability,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 332–339, 1996.
- D. A. Garrett, M. L. Failla, and R. J. Sarama, “Development of an in vitro digestion method to assess carotenoid bioavailability from meals,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 4301–4309, 1999.
- E. A. Decker, K. Warner, M. P. Richards, and F. Shahidi, “Measuring antioxidant effectiveness in food,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 4303–4310, 2005.
- M. E. Cuvelier, H. Richard, and C. Berset, “Antioxidative activity and phenolic composition of pilot-plant and commercial extracts of sage and rosemary,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 645–652, 1996.
- B. Shan, Y. Z. Cai, M. Sun, and H. Corke, “Antioxidant capacity of 26 spice extracts and characterization of their phenolic constituents,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 20, pp. 7749–7759, 2005.
- R. Re, N. Pellegrini, A. Proteggente, A. Pannala, M. Yang, and C. Rice-Evans, “Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 9-10, pp. 1231–1237, 1999.
- V. L. Singleton, Analytical Fractionation of the Phenolic Substances, 1974.
- J. D. Everette, Q. M. Bryant, A. M. Green, Y. A. Abbey, G. W. Wangila, and R. B. Walker, “Thorough study of reactivity of various compound classes toward the folin-Ciocalteu reagent,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 14, pp. 8139–8144, 2010.
- H. Wagner and S. Bladt, Plant Drug Analysis: A Thin Layer Chromatography Atlas, Springer, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1996.
- Human Tissue Act, http://www.hta.gov.uk/.
- I. Behrens and T. Kissel, “Do cell culture conditions influence the carrier-mediated transport of peptides in Caco-2 cell monolayers?” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 433–442, 2003.
- A. E. O. Fisher, S. C. Maxwell, and D. P. Naughton, “Catalase and superoxide dismutase mimics for the treatment of inflammatory diseases,” Inorganic Chemistry Communications, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 1205–1208, 2003.
- V. Lakshminarayanan, E. A. Drab-Weiss, and K. A. Roebuck, “H2O2 and tumor necrosis factor-α induce differential binding of the redox-responsive transcription factors AP-1 and NF-κB to the interleukin-8 promoter in endothelial and epithelial cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 49, pp. 32670–32678, 1998.
- C. Miglio, E. Chiavaro, A. Visconti, V. Fogliano, and N. Pellegrini, “Effects of different cooking methods on nutritional and physicochemical characteristics of selected vegetables,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 139–147, 2008.
- N. Mulinacci, F. Ieri, C. Giaccherini et al., “Effects of cooking on the anthocyanins, Phenolic acids, glycoalkaloids, and resistant startch Content in two pigmented cultivars of Solanum tuberrosum L.,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 24, pp. 11830–11837, 2009.
- N. Pellegrini, E. Chiavaro, C. Gardana et al., “Effect of different cooking methods on color, phytochemical concentration, and antioxidant capacity of raw and frozen brassica vegetables,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 4310–4321, 2010.
- A. Cilla, A. González-Sarrías, F. A. Tomás-Barberán, J. C. Espín, and R. Barberá, “Availability of polyphenols in fruit beverages subjected to in vitro gastrointestinal digestion and their effects on proliferation, cell-cycle and apoptosis in human colon cancer Caco-2 cells,” Food Chemistry, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 813–820, 2009.
- M. S. Gião, S. Gomes, A. R. Madureira et al., “Effect of in vitro digestion upon the antioxidant capacity of aqueous extracts of Agrimonia eupatoria, Rubus idaeus, Salvia sp. and Satureja Montana,” Food Chemistry, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 761–767, 2011.
- H. Wang, G. J. Provan, and K. Helliwell, “Determination of rosmarinic acid and caffeic acid in aromatic herbs by HPLC,” Food Chemistry, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 307–311, 2004.
- P. H. Raven, R. F. Evert, and S. E. Eichhorn, Raven Biology of Plants, Worth, Freeman, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 1998.
- M. B. Hossain, D. K. Rai, N. P. Brunton, A. B. Martin-Diana, and A. C. Barry-Ryan, “Characterization of phenolic composition in lamiaceae spices by LC-ESI-MS/MS,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 19, pp. 10576–10581, 2010.
- N. Osakabe, A. Yasuda, M. Natsume, and T. Yoshikawa, “Rosmarinic acid inhibits epidermal inflammatory responses: anticarcinogenic effect of Perilla frutescens extract in the murine two-stage skin model,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 549–557, 2004.
- L. C. Luis and C. B. Johnson, “Seasonal variations of rosmarinic acid and carnosic acid in rosemary extracts. Analysis of their in vitro antiradical activity,” Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 106–112, 2005.
- S. Dragland, H. Senoo, K. Wake, K. Holte, and R. Blomhoff, “Several culinary and medicinal herbs are important sources of dietary antioxidants,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 1286–1290, 2003.
- B. L. Halvorsen, K. Holte, M. C. W. Myhrstad et al., “A systematic screening of total antioxidants in dietary plants,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 461–471, 2002.
- G. I. Stafford, A. K. Jäger, and J. Van Staden, “Effect of storage on the chemical composition and biological activity of several popular South African medicinal plants,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 107–115, 2005.
- M. Chohan, G. Forster-Wilkins, and E. I. Opara, “Determination of the antioxidant capacity of culinary herbs subjected to various cooking and storage processes using the ABTS*+ radical cation assay,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 47–52, 2008.
- J. H. Yoon and S. J. Baek, “Molecular targets of dietary polyphenols with anti-inflammatory properties,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 585–596, 2005.
- C. H. Peng, J. D. Su, C. C. Chyau et al., “Supercritical fluid extracts of rosemary leaves exhibit potent anti-inflammation and anti-tumor effects,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 2223–2232, 2007.
- L. A. Shelef , “Antimicrobial effects of spices,” Journal of Food Safety, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 29–44, 1984.
- M. H. Carlsen, R. Blomhoff, and L. F. Andersen, “Intakes of culinary herbs and spices from a food frequency questionnaire evaluated against 28-days estimated records,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 10, no. 1, article 50, 2011.