- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 741239, 7 pages
Serum Oxidant and Antioxidant Status in Adolescents Undergoing Professional Endurance Sports Training
1Department of Physical Education, Dr. Stephen Hui Research Centre for Physical Recreation and Wellness, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
2College of Physical Education, Liaoning Normal University, Dalian, Liaoning, China
3U.O. di Diagnostica Ematochimica, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria di Parma, Parma, Italy
4School of Physical Education and Sports, Macao Polytechnic Institute, Macau
5China Institute of Sport Science, Beijing 100061, China
Received 29 December 2011; Revised 11 February 2012; Accepted 16 February 2012
Academic Editor: Michalis G. Nikolaidis
Copyright © 2012 Tom K. Tong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Cooper, D. Nemet, and P. Galassetti, “Exercise, stress, and inflammation in the growing child: from the bench to the playground,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 286–292, 2004.
- B. K. Pedersen and L. Hoffman-Goetz, “Exercise and the immune system: regulation, integration, and adaptation,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 1055–1081, 2000.
- A. Carlsohn, S. Rohn, F. Mayer, and F. J. Schweigert, “Physical activity, antioxidant status, and protein modification in adolescent athletes,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1131–1139, 2010.
- M. J. Jackson, “Reactive oxygen species and redox-regulation of skeletal muscle adaptations to exercise,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 360, no. 1464, pp. 2285–2291, 2005.
- C. Scheele, S. Nielsen, and B. K. Pedersen, “ROS and myokines promote muscle adaptation to exercise,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 95–99, 2009.
- H. Miyazaki, S. Oh-ishi, T. Ookawara et al., “Strenuous endurance training in humans reduces oxidative stress following exhausting exercise,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 84, no. 1-2, pp. 1–6, 2001.
- M. J. Jackson, “Free radicals generated by contracting muscle: by-products of metabolism or key regulators of muscle function?” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 132–141, 2008.
- S. Sachdev and K. J. A. Davies, “Production, detection, and adaptive responses to free radicals in exercise,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 215–223, 2008.
- Y. Tian, J. Nie, T. K. Tong, J. S. Baker, N. E. Thomas, and Q. Shi, “Serum oxidant and antioxidant status during early and late recovery periods following an all-out 21-km run in trained adolescent runners,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 971–976, 2010.
- J. A. Duarte, J. F. Magalhães, L. Monteiro, A. Almeida-Dias, J. M. C. Soares, and H. J. Appell, “Exercise-induced signs of muscle overuse in children,” International Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 103–108, 1999.
- B. E. Ainsworth, W. L. Haskell, S. D. Herrmann et al., “2011 compendium of physical activities: a second update of codes and MET values,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1575–1581, 2011.
- I. F. F. Benzie and J. J. Strain, “Ferric reducing/antioxidant power assay: direct measure of total antioxidant activity of biological fluids and modified version for simultaneous measurement of total antioxidant power and ascorbic acid concentration,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 299, pp. 15–27, 1998.
- F. Marzatico, O. Pansarasa, L. Bertorelli, L. Somenzini, and G. Della Valle, “Blood free radical antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxides following long-distance and lactacidemic performances in highly trained aerobic and sprint athletes,” Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 235–239, 1997.
- J.-G. Park and G. T. Oh, “The role of peroxidases in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis,” BMB Reports, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 497–505, 2011.
- A. Santos-Silva, M. I. Rebelo, E. M. B. Castro et al., “Leukocyte activation, erythrocyte damage, lipid profile and oxidative stress imposed by high competition physical exercise in adolescents,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 306, no. 1-2, pp. 119–126, 2001.
- S. Gougoura, M. G. Nikolaidis, I. A. Kostaropoulos, A. Z. Jamurtas, G. Koukoulis, and D. Kouretas, “Increased oxidative stress indices in the blood of child swimmers,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 235–239, 2007.
- A. Carlsohn, S. Rohn, F. Bittmann, J. Raila, F. Mayer, and F. J. Schweigert, “Exercise increases the plasma antioxidant capacity of adolescent athletes,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 96–103, 2008.
- A. Kabasakalis, K. Kalitsis, M. G. Nikolaidis et al., “Redox, iron, and nutritional status of children during swimming training,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 691–696, 2009.
- J. Finaud, G. Lac, and E. Filaire, “Oxidative stress: relationship with exercise and training,” Sports Medicine, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 327–358, 2006.
- T. A. Watson, L. K. MacDonald-Wicks, and M. L. Garg, “Oxidative stress and antioxidants in athletes undertaking regular exercise training,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 131–146, 2005.
- L. L. Ji, “Antioxidants and oxidative stress in exercise,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 222, no. 3, pp. 283–292, 1999.
- P. Chelikani, I. Fita, and P. C. Loewen, “Diversity of structures and properties among catalases,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 192–208, 2004.
- R. K. Rude and M. E. Shils, “Magnesium,” in Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, M. E. Shils, M. Shike, A. C. Ross, B. Caballero, and R. J. Cousins, Eds., pp. 223–247, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 10th edition, 2006.
- B. J. Mills, R. D. Lindeman, and C. A. Lang, “Effect of zinc deficiency on blood glutathione levels,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 1098–1102, 1981.
- P. Anand, D. Rajakumar, M. Jeraud, A. John William Felix, and T. Balasubramanian, “Effects of taurine on glutathione peroxidase, glutathione reductase and reduced glutathione levels in rats,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 219–225, 2011.
- C. K. Sen, “Oxidants and antioxidants in exercise,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 675–686, 1995.
- S. Vertuani, A. Angusti, and S. Manfredini, “The antioxidants and pro-antioxidants network: an overview,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 10, no. 14, pp. 1677–1694, 2004.