- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 750963, 10 pages
Antiaging Effect of Pine Pollen in Human Diploid Fibroblasts and in a Mouse Model Induced by D-Galactose
1Zhejiang Provincial Key Lab of Geriatrics, Zhejiang Hospital, 12 Lingyin Road, Hangzhou 310013, China
2Zhejiang Forestry Academy, Hangzhou 310023, China
Received 2 December 2011; Revised 10 February 2012; Accepted 14 February 2012
Academic Editor: Guilherme Antonio Behr
Copyright © 2012 Gen-Xiang Mao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Wei, L. Li, Q. Song, H. Ai, J. Chu, and W. Li, “Behavioural study of the D-galactose induced aging model in C57BL/6J mice,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 245–251, 2005.
- S. C. Ho, J. H. Liu, and R. Y. Wu, “Establishment of the mimetic aging effect in mice caused by D-galactose,” Biogerontology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 15–18, 2003.
- D. Y. Yoo, W. Kim, C. H. Lee et al., “Melatonin improves D-galactose-induced aging effects on behavior, neurogenesis, and lipid peroxidation in the mouse dentate gyrus via increasing pCREB expression,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2012.
- A. Kumar, A. Prakash, and S. Dogra, “Centella asiatica attenuates d-galactose-induced cognitive impairment, oxidative and mitochondrial dysfunction in mice,” International Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 2011, Article ID 347569, 9 pages, 2011.
- X. Song, M. Bao, D. Li, and Y. M. Li, “Advanced glycation in D-galactose induced mouse aging model,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 239–251, 1999.
- H. Vlassara, R. Bucala, and L. Striker, “Pathogenic effects of advanced glycosylation: biochemical, biologic, and clinical implications for diabetes and aging,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 138–151, 1994.
- M. A. Smith, L. M. Sayre, V. M. Monnier, and G. Perry, “Radical AGEing in Alzheimer's disease,” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 172–176, 1995.
- J. Tian, K. Ishibashi, K. Ishibashi et al., “Advanced glycation endproduct-induced aging of the retinal pigment epithelium and choroid: a comprehensive transcriptional response,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 33, pp. 11846–11851, 2005.
- R. D. Semba, E. J. Nicklett, and L. Ferrucci, “Does accumulation of advanced glycation end products contribute to the aging phenotype?” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 963–975, 2010.
- E. R. Stadtman, “Protein oxidation and aging,” Science, vol. 257, no. 5074, pp. 1220–1224, 1992.
- S. Y. Li, V. K. Sigmon, S. A. Babcock, and J. Ren, “Advanced glycation endproduct induces ROS accumulation, apoptosis, MAP kinase activation and nuclear O-GlcNAcylation in human cardiac myocytes,” Life Sciences, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1051–1056, 2007.
- X. He, X. Sun, and Z. Yu, “Effective components and pharmacological function of pine pollen,” Journal of Northeast Forestry University, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 78–80, 2007.
- K. H. Lee and E. M. Choi, “Effect of pine pollen extract on experimental chronic arthritis,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 651–657, 2009.
- K. H. Lee, A. J. Kim, and E. M. Choi, “Antioxidant and antiinflammatory activity of pine pollen extract in vitro,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 2009.
- J. Li, Z. Zhang, and T. Tong, “The proliferative response and anti-oncogene expression in old 2BS cells after growth factor stimulation,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 1995.
- P. Wang, Z. Zhang, X. Ma et al., “HDTIC-1 and HDTIC-2, two compounds extracted from Astragali Radix, delay replicative senescence of human diploid fibroblasts,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 124, no. 10–12, pp. 1025–1034, 2003.
- G. X. Mao, Y. Wang, Q. Qiu et al., “Salidroside protects human fibroblast cells from premature senescence induced by H2O2 partly through modulating oxidative status,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 131, no. 11-12, pp. 723–731, 2010.
- G. X. Mao, H. B. Deng, L. G. Yuan, D. D. Li, Y. Y. Y. Li, and Z. Wang, “Protective role of salidroside against aging in a mouse model induced by D-galactose,” Biomedical and Environmental Sciences, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 161–166, 2010.
- Z. Tang, Z. Zhang, Y. Zheng, M. J. Corbley, and T. Tong, “Cell aging of human diploid fibroblasts is associated with changes in responsiveness to epidermal growth factor and changes in HER-2 expression,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 57–67, 1994.
- D. P. Mangiameli, J. A. Blansfield, S. Kachala et al., “Combination therapy targeting the tumor microenvironment is effective in a model of human ocular melanoma,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 5, article 38, 2007.
- G. P. Dimri, X. Lee, G. Basile et al., “A biomarker that identifies senescent human cells in culture and in aging skin in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 20, pp. 9363–9367, 1995.
- S. Ahmadi, N. Malekmohammadi, and M. R. Zarrindast, “Repeated histamine pretreatment decreased amnesia induced by post-training administration of the drug in a step-down inhibitory avoidance test in mice,” Archives of Iranian Medicine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 2010.
- Z. Makita, H. Vlassara, A. Cerami, and R. Bucala, “Immunochemical detection of advanced glycosylation end products in vivo,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 8, pp. 5133–5138, 1992.
- F. Bringold and M. Serrano, “Tumor suppressors and oncogenes in cellular senescence,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 317–329, 2000.
- K. Alexander and P. W. Hinds, “Requirement for p27KIP1 in retinoblastoma protein-mediated senescence,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 3616–3631, 2001.
- M. De Martinis, C. Franceschi, D. Monti, and L. Ginaldi, “Inflamm-ageing and lifelong antigenic load as major determinants of ageing rate and longevity,” FEBS Letters, vol. 579, no. 10, pp. 2035–2039, 2005.
- M. Lei, X. Hua, M. Xiao, J. Ding, Q. Han, and G. Hu, “Impairments of astrocytes are involved in the d-galactose-induced brain aging,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 369, no. 4, pp. 1082–1087, 2008.
- L. Hayflick, “The limited in vitro lifetime of human diploid cell strains,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 614–636, 1965.
- X. Cui, P. Zuo, Q. Zhang et al., “Chronic systemic D-galactose exposure induces memory loss, neurodegeneration, and oxidative damage in mice: protective effects of R-α-lipoic acid,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 647–654, 2006.
- G. Guoqing and X. fuben, “Study of aging model in mice,” Journal of China Pharmaceutical University, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 101–103, 1991.
- S. Pashikanti, D. R. de Alba, G. A. Boissonneault, and D. Cervantes-Laurean, “Rutin metabolites: novel inhibitors of nonoxidative advanced glycation end products,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 656–663, 2010.
- P. Urios, A. M. Grigorova-Borsos, and M. Sternberg, “Flavonoids inhibit the formation of the cross-linking AGE pentosidine in collagen incubated with glucose, according to their structure,” European Journal of Nutrition, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 139–146, 2007.
- V. P. Reddy and A. Beyaz, “Inhibitors of the Maillard reaction and AGE breakers as therapeutics for multiple diseases,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 11, no. 13-14, pp. 646–654, 2006.
- G. Basta, “Receptor for advanced glycation endproducts and atherosclerosis: from basic mechanisms to clinical implications,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 196, no. 1, pp. 9–21, 2008.