- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 756132, 12 pages
Oxidants, Antioxidants, and the Beneficial Roles of Exercise-Induced Production of Reactive Species
1Department of Biochemistry and Immunology, Institute of Biological Science, Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
2Department of Morphology, Institute of Biological Sciences (UFMG); and Santa Casa de Misericórdia, 30150-221 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
3School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University, Leicestershire LE11 3TU, UK
Received 16 March 2012; Accepted 2 April 2012
Academic Editor: Michalis G. Nikolaidis
Copyright © 2012 Elisa Couto Gomes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [60 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Cristiane Maria Galvao Barbosa, Mario Terra-Filho, Andre Luis Pereira de Albuquerque, Dante Di Giorgi, Cesar Grupi, Carlos Eduardo Negrao, Maria Urbana Pinto Brandao Rondon, Daniel Godoy Martinez, Tania Marcourakis, Fabiana Almeida dos Santos, Alfesio Luis Ferreira Braga, Dirce Maria Trevisan Zanetta, and Ubiratan de Paula Santos, “Burnt Sugarcane Harvesting - Cardiovascular Effects on a Group of Healthy Workers, Brazil,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 9, 2012.
- A. M. Cardoso, M. D. Bagatini, M. A. Roth, C. C. Martins, J. F. P. Rezer, F. F. Mello, L. F. D. Lopes, V. M. Morsch, and M. R. C. Schetinger, “Acute effects of resistance exercise and intermittent intense aerobic exercise on blood cell count and oxidative stress in trained middle-aged women,” Brazilian Journal Of Medical And Biological Research, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 1172–1182, 2012.
- Gabriele Siciliano, Costanza Simoncini, Annalisa Lo Gerfo, Daniele Orsucci, Giulia Ricci, and Michelangelo Mancuso, “Effects of aerobic training on exercise-related oxidative stress in mitochondrial myopathies,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 22, pp. S172–S177, 2012.
- Dusica Z. Djordjevic, Dejan G. Cubrilo, Vladimir S. Puzovic, Milena S. Vuletic, Vladimir I. Zivkovic, Nevena S. Barudzic, Dragan S. Radovanovic, Dragan M. Djuric, and Vladimir Lj. Jakovljevic, “Changes in Athlete’s Redox State Induced by Habitual and Unaccustomed Exercise,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2012, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- Liang-En Chen, Feng Wu, Yimei Xin, Andong Zhao, Xiqing Sun, and Hao Zhan, “Effect of high sustained +Gz stress on myocardial mitochondrial ultrastructure, respiratory function, and antioxidant capacity in rats,” The Journal of Physiological Sciences, 2013.
- Ivo Juránek, Dragana Nikitovic, Dimitrios Kouretas, A. Wallace Hayes, and Aristidis M. Tsatsakis, “Biological importance of reactive oxygen species in relation to difficulties of treating pathologies involving oxidative stress by exogenous antioxidants,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2013.
- R.C. Rebolledo-Cobos, B. Teixeira, and C. Correa, “Asma, estrés oxidativo y ejercicio físico: revisión de la literatura,” Fisioterapia, 2013.
- S. Ben-Zaken, A. Eliakim, D. Nemet, E. Kassem, and Y. Meckel, “Increased prevalence of MnSOD genetic polymorphism in endurance and power athletes,” Free Radical Research, pp. 1–7, 2013.
- Soledad Benlloch-Navarro, Ilenia Franco, Violeta Sánchez-Vallejo, Dolores Silvestre, Francisco Javier Romero, and María Miranda, “Lipid Peroxidation Is Increased In Tears From The Elderly,” Experimental Eye Research, 2013.
- T.B. Marcelino, A. Longoni, K.Y. Kudo, V. Stone, A. Reck, A. de Assis, E.B.S. Scherer, M.J. da Cunha, A.T.S. Wyse, L.F. Pettenuzzo, G. Leipnitz, and C. Matté, “Evidences that maternal swimming exercise improves antioxidant defenses and induces mitochondrial biogenesis in the brain of young Wistar rats,” Neuroscience, 2013.
- Frank Suhr, Sebastian Gehlert, Marijke Grau, and Wilhelm Bloch, “Skeletal Muscle Function during Exercise-Fine-Tuning of Diverse Subsystems by Nitric Oxide,” International Journal Of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 7109–7139, 2013.
- Fernanda R. Roque, Raquel Hernanz, Mercedes Salaices, and Ana M. Briones, “Exercise Training and Cardiometabolic Diseases: Focus on the Vascular System,” Current Hypertension Reports, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 204–214, 2013.
- Maira J. da Cunha, Aline A. da Cunha, G. K. Ferreira, Mauricio E. Baladao, Luiz E. B. Savio, Carlos L. Reichel, Adriana Kessler, Carlos A. Netto, and Angela T. S. Wyse, “The effect of exercise on the oxidative stress induced by experimental lung injury,” Life Sciences, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 218–227, 2013.
- Alexandra Malgoyre, Hervé Sanchez, Nathalie Koulmann, Clothilde Mora, and Xavier Bigard, “L’entraînement commence à table,” Médecine & Nutrition, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 104–109, 2013.
- Mónica Sousa, Vítor H. Teixeira, and José Soares, “Dietary strategies to recover from exercise-induced muscle damage,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- Lasse Gliemann, Jakob Friis Schmidt, Jesper Olesen, Rasmus Sjorup Bienso, Sebastian Louis Peronard, Simon Udsen Grandjean, Stefan Peter Mortensen, Michael Nyberg, Jens Bangsbo, Henriette Pilegaard, and Ylva Hellsten, “Resveratrol blunts the positive effects of exercise training on cardiovascular health in aged men,” Journal of Physiology-London, vol. 591, no. 20, pp. 5047–5059, 2013.
- Lingling Shan, Bin Wang, Guizhen Gao, Wengen Cao, and Yunkun Zhang, “L-Arginine supplementation improves antioxidant defenses through L-arginine/nitric oxide pathways in exercised rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 115, no. 8, pp. 1146–1155, 2013.
- Brahm Kumar Tiwari, Kanti Bhooshan Pandey, A. B. Abidi, and Syed Ibrahim Rizvi, “Markers of Oxidative Stress during Diabetes Mellitus,” Journal of Biomarkers, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Hajime Otani, “Site-Specific Antioxidative Therapy for Prevention of Atherosclerosis and Cardiovascular Disease,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2013, pp. 1–14, 2013.
- Yasuko Manabe, Mayumi Takagi, Mio Nakamura-Yamada, Naoko Goto-Inoue, Masato Taoka, Toshiaki Isobe, and Nobuharu L. Fujii, “Redox proteins are constitutively secreted by skeletal muscle,” The Journal of Physiological Sciences, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 401–409, 2014.
- James E. Turner, Stuart J. Bennett, Jos A. Bosch, Helen R. Griffiths, and Sarah Aldred, “Ultra-endurance exercise: unanswered questions in redox biology and immunology,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 989–995, 2014.
- Anastasia Perrea, Ioannis S. Vlachos, Laskarina-Maria Korou, Ilias P. Doulamis, Konstantina Exarhopoulou, George Kypraios, Anastasios Kalofoutis, and Despina N. Perrea, “Comparison of the Short-Term Oxidative Stress Response in National League Basketball and Soccer Adolescent Athletes,” Angiology, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 624–629, 2014.
- David C. Nieman, R. Andrew Shanely, Beibei Luo, Mary Pat Meaney, Dustin A. Dew, and Kirk L. Pappan, “Metabolomics approach to assessing plasma 13-and 9-hydroxy-octadecadienoic acid and linoleic acid metabolite responses to 75-km cycling,” American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physi, vol. 307, no. 1, pp. R68–R74, 2014.
- M.H.C. Cruz, C.L.V. Leal, J.F. Cruz, D.X. Tan, and R.J. Reiter, “Essential actions of melatonin in protecting the ovary from oxidative damage,” Theriogenology, 2014.
- Liang-en Chen, Feng Wu, Yi-mei Xin, An-dong Zhao, Yong-xin Wang, and Hao Zhan, “Protective effect of Tianqi Hangli Recipe (天芪航力方) extract on high sustained positive acceleration stress-induced myocardial mitochondrial injury in rats,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2014.
- Cassiana Siebert, Janaína Kolling, Emilene B. S. Scherer, Felipe Schmitz, Maira Jaqueline da Cunha, Vanize Mackedanz, Rodrigo B. de Andrade, Clovis M. D. Wannmacher, and Angela T. S. Wyse, “Effect of physical exercise on changes in activities of creatine kinase, cytochrome c oxidase and ATP levels caused by ovariectomy,” Metabolic Brain Disease, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 825–835, 2014.
- Steve Moylan, Michael Berk, Olivia M. Dean, Yuval Samuni, Lana Williams, Adrienne O’Neil, Amie C. Hayley, Julie A. Pasco, George Anderson, Felice Jacka, and Michael Maes, “Oxidative & nitrosative stress in depression: why so much stress?,” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 2014.
- Albena Nunes-Silva, Priscila T. T. Bernardes, Barbara M. Rezende, Fernando Lopes, Elisa C. Gomes, Pedro E. Marques, Paulo M. A. Lima, Candido C. Coimbra, Gustavo B. Menezes, Mauro M. Teixeira, and Vanessa Pinho, “Treadmill Exercise Induces Neutrophil Recruitment into Muscle Tissue in a Reactive Oxygen Species-Dependent Manner. An Intravital Microscopy Study,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 5, 2014.
- Andrew Chappell, Alison McE Jenkinson, Frank Thies, and Stuart R. Gray, “Fish Oil Supplementation Reduces Markers of Oxidative Stress But Not Muscle Soreness After Eccentric Exercise,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 206–214, 2014.
- J. Assies, R. J. T. Mocking, A. Lok, H. G. Ruhé, F. Pouwer, and A. H. Schene, “Effects of oxidative stress on fatty acid- and one-carbon-metabolism in psychiatric and cardiovascular disease comorbidity,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 2014.
- Rian Q. Landers-Ramos, Nathan T. Jenkins, Espen E. Spangenburg, James M. Hagberg, and Steven J. Prior, “Circulating angiogenic and inflammatory cytokine responses to acute aerobic exercise in trained and sedentary young men,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, 2014.
- James D Watson, “Type 2 diabetes as a redox disease,” The Lancet, vol. 383, no. 9919, pp. 841–843, 2014.
- Alexandros Pechlivanis, Anastasia Chrysovalantou Chatziioannou, Aristidis S. Veskoukis, Dimitrios Kouretas, Vassilis Mougios, and Georgios A. Theodoridis, “GC-MS analysis of blood for the metabonomic investigation of the effects of physical exercise and allopurinol administration on rats,” Journal of Chromatography B, 2014.
- Tae Dong Kwon, Mong Woo Lee, and Ki Hoon Kim, “The effect of exercise training and water extract from propolis intake on the antioxidant enzymes activity of skeletal muscle and liver in rat,” Journal of Exercise Nutrition and Biochemistry, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2014.
- Jia-Yi Ma, Run-Hua Li, Kun Huang, Gao Tan, Chen Li, and Fa-Chao Zhi, “Increased expression and possible role of chitinase 3-like-1 in a colitis-associated carcinoma model,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 42, pp. 15736–15744, 2014.
- Sanja Soskic, Edita Stokic, Milan Obradovic, Emina Sudar, Nasta Tanic, Aleksandar Kupusinac, Jelena Djordjevic, and Esma R Isenovic, “Association of leptin gene polymorphism G-2548A with metabolic and anthropometric parameters in obese patients in a Serbian population: pilot study,” Clinical Lipidology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 505–513, 2014.
- Ya-Hui Chen, Wei-Wen Lin, Chin-San Liu, Li-Sung Hsu, Yueh-Min Lin, and Shih-Li Su, “Caveolin-1 Provides Palliation for Adverse Hepatic Reactions in Hypercholesterolemic Rabbits,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014.
- Masayo Matsuzaki, Megumi Haruna, Erika Ota, Ryoko Murayama, Tokio Yamaguchi, Izuru Shioji, Shinya Sasaki, Takuhiro Yamaguchi, and Sachiyo Murashima, “Effects of lifestyle factors on urinary oxidative stress and serum antioxidant markers in pregnant Japanese women: A cohort study,” BioScience Trends, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 176–184, 2014.
- Norbert Nemeth, Istvan Furka, and Iren Miko, “Hemorheological changes in ischemia-reperfusion: An overview on our experimental surgical data,” Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 215–225, 2014.
- Rebeca Cambray Guerra, Alejandra Zuñiga-Muñoz, Verónica Guarner Lans, Eulises Díaz-Díaz, Carlos Alberto Tena Betancourt, and Israel Pérez-Torres, “Modulation of the Activities of Catalase, Cu-Zn, Mn Superoxide Dismutase, and Glutathione Peroxidase in Adipocyte from Ovariectomised Female Rats with Metabolic Syndrome,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2014, pp. 1–10, 2014.
- R. Henry, G. E. Peoples, and P. L. McLennan, “Muscle fatigue resistance in the rat hindlimb in vivo from low dietary intakes of tuna fish oil that selectively increase phospholipid n-3 docosahexae,” British Journal Of Nutrition, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 873–884, 2015.
- Robert T. Mankowski, Stephen D. Anton, Thomas W. Buford, and Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, “Dietary Antioxidants as Modifiers of Physiologic Adaptations to Exercise,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1857–1868, 2015.
- Robert D. Meade, Naoto Fujii, Lacy M. Alexander, Gabrielle Paull, Jeffrey C. Louie, Andreas D. Flouris, and Glen P. Kenny, “Local infusion of ascorbate augments NO-dependent cutaneous vasodilatation during intense exercise in the heat,” The Journal of Physiology, 2015.
- Ugur Aksu, Bulent Ergin, Rick Bezemer, Asli Kandil, Dan M J Milstein, Cihan Demirci-Tansel, and Can Ince, “Scavenging reactive oxygen species using tempol in the acute phase of renal ischemia/reperfusion and its effects on kidney oxygenation and nitric oxide levels,” Intensive Care Medicine Experimental, vol. 3, no. 1, 2015.
- R. S. Garten, A. Goldfarb, B. Crabb, and J. Waller, “The Impact of Partial Vascular Occlusion on Oxidative Stress Markers during Resistance Exercise,” International Journal Of Sports Medicine, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 542–549, 2015.
- Yeh Siiang Lau, Wei Chih Ling, Dharmani Murugan, and Mohd Rais Mustafa, “Boldine Ameliorates Vascular Oxidative Stress and Endothelial Dysfunction,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 522–531, 2015.
- A. Sureda, J. M. Batle, J. A. Tur, and A. Pons, “Competitive apnea diving sessions induces an adaptative antioxidant response in mononucleated blood cells,” Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, 2015.
- Barbara Sottero, Simona Gargiulo, Isabella Russo, Cristina Barale, Giuseppe Poli, and Franco Cavalot, “Postprandial Dysmetabolism and Oxidative Stress in Type 2 Diabetes: Pathogenetic Mechanisms and Therapeutic Strategies,” Medicinal Research Reviews, 2015.
- Eduardo Mundstock, Helen Zatti, Fernanda Mattos Louzada, Suelen Goecks Oliveira, Fátima T.C.R. Guma, Mariana Migliorini Parisi, Angélica Barba Rueda, Denise Greff Machado, Renato T. Stein, Marcus Herbert Jones, Edgar E. Sarria, Florencia M. Barbé-Tuana, and Rita Mattiello, “Effects of Physical Activity in Telomere Length: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Ageing Research Reviews, 2015.
- Vinicius Stone, Karen Yurika Kudo, Thiago Beltram Marcelino, Pauline Maciel August, and Cristiane Matte, “Swimming exercise enhances the hippocampal antioxidant status of female Wistar rats,” Redox Report, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 133–138, 2015.
- Peter Steinbacher, and Peter Eckl, “Impact of Oxidative Stress on Exercising Skeletal Muscle,” Biomolecules, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 356–377, 2015.
- Luisa Soares-Miranda, Fumiaki Imamura, David Siscovick, Nancy Swords Jenny, Annette L. Fitzpatrick, and Dariush Mozaffarian, “Physical Activity, Physical Fitness, and Leukocyte Telomere Length,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 2525–2534, 2015.
- Erica N. Chirico, Camille Faës, Philippe Connes, Emmanuelle Canet-Soulas, Cyril Martin, and Vincent Pialoux, “Role of Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress in Sickle Cell Trait and Disease,” Sports Medicine, 2015.
- Simona Mrakic-Sposta, Maristella Gussoni, Sarah Moretti, Lorenza Pratali, Guido Giardini, Philippe Tacchini, Cinzia Dellanoce, Alessandro Tonacci, Francesca Mastorci, Andrea Borghini, Michela Montorsi, and Alessandra Vezzoli, “Effects of Mountain Ultra-Marathon Running on ROS Production and Oxidative Damage by Micro-Invasive Analytic Techniques,” PLoS One, vol. 10, no. 11, 2015.
- Yong-Xin Sun, Lei Li, Kylie A. Corry, Pei Zhang, Yang Yang, Evan Himes, Cristina Layla Mihuti, Cecilia Nelson, Guoli Dai, and Jiliang Li, “Deletion of Nrf2 Reduces Skeletal Mechanical Properties and Decreases Load-Driven Bone Formation,” Bone, 2015.
- Anna Gawron-Skarbek, Jacek Chrzczanowicz, Joanna Kostka, Dariusz Nowak, Wojciech Drygas, Anna Jegier, and Tomasz Kostka, “Physical Activity, Aerobic Capacity, and Total Antioxidant Capacity in Healthy Men and in Men with Coronary Heart Disease,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2015, pp. 1–9, 2015.
- Pawel Matusik, Zofia Prokopowicz, Berenika Norek, Magdalena Olszanecka-Glinianowicz, Jerzy Chudek, and Ewa Malecka-Tendera, “Oxidative/Antioxidative Status in Obese and Sport Trained Children: A Comparative Study,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2015, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Simona Mrakic-Sposta, Maristella Gussoni, Simone Porcelli, Lorenzo Pugliese, Gaspare Pavei, Giuseppe Bellistri, Michela Montorsi, Philippe Tacchini, and Alessandra Vezzoli, “Training Effects on ROS Production Determined by Electron Paramagnetic Resonance in Master Swimmers,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2015, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Kihachiro Fukada, Hidehiko Kushi, Terue Takashina, Naoko Onuma, Akira Yoshida, and Kiichiro Amano, “Increase in level of 8-isoprostane after acute strenuous exercise in overweight young men,” Taiikugaku kenkyu (Japan Journal of Physical Education, Health and Sport Sciences), vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 41–51, 2015.
- Csaba Csonka, Márta Sárközy, Márton Pipicz, László Dux, and Tamás Csont, “Modulation of Hypercholesterolemia-Induced Oxidative/Nitrative Stress in the Heart,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2016, pp. 1–23, 2016.