- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 756132, 12 pages
Oxidants, Antioxidants, and the Beneficial Roles of Exercise-Induced Production of Reactive Species
1Department of Biochemistry and Immunology, Institute of Biological Science, Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
2Department of Morphology, Institute of Biological Sciences (UFMG); and Santa Casa de Misericórdia, 30150-221 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
3School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University, Leicestershire LE11 3TU, UK
Received 16 March 2012; Accepted 2 April 2012
Academic Editor: Michalis G. Nikolaidis
Copyright © 2012 Elisa Couto Gomes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [29 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Cristiane Maria Galvao Barbosa, Mario Terra-Filho, Andre Luis Pereira de Albuquerque, Dante Di Giorgi, Cesar Grupi, Carlos Eduardo Negrao, Maria Urbana Pinto Brandao Rondon, Daniel Godoy Martinez, Tania Marcourakis, Fabiana Almeida dos Santos, Alfesio Luis Ferreira Braga, Dirce Maria Trevisan Zanetta, and Ubiratan de Paula Santos, “Burnt Sugarcane Harvesting - Cardiovascular Effects on a Group of Healthy W orkers, Brazil,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 9, 2012.
- A. M. Cardoso, M. D. Bagatini, M. A. Roth, C. C. Martins, J. F. P. Rezer, F. F. Mello, L. F. D. Lopes, V. M. Morsch, and M. R. C. Schetinger, “Acute effects of resistance exercise and intermittent intense aerobic exerc ise on blood cell count and oxidative stress in trained middle-aged women,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 1172–1182, 2012.
- Gabriele Siciliano, Costanza Simoncini, Annalisa Lo Gerfo, Daniele Orsucci, Giulia Ricci, and Michelangelo Mancuso, “Effects of aerobic training on exercise-related oxidative stress in mitochondrial myopathies,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 22, pp. S172–S177, 2012.
- Dusica Z. Djordjevic, Dejan G. Cubrilo, Vladimir S. Puzovic, Milena S. Vuletic, Vladimir I. Zivkovic, Nevena S. Barudzic, Dragan S. Radovanovic, Dragan M. Djuric, and Vladimir Lj. Jakovljevic, “Changes in Athlete’s Redox State Induced by Habitual and Unaccustomed Exercise,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2012, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- S. Ben-Zaken, A. Eliakim, D. Nemet, E. Kassem, and Y. Meckel, “Increased prevalence of MnSOD genetic polymorphism in endurance and power athletes,” Free Radical Research, pp. 1–7, 2013.
- Liang-En Chen, Feng Wu, Yimei Xin, Andong Zhao, Xiqing Sun, and Hao Zhan, “Effect of high sustained +Gz stress on myocardial mitochondrial ultrastructure, respiratory function, and antioxidant capacity in rats,” The Journal of Physiological Sciences, 2013.
- Ivo Juránek, Dragana Nikitovic, Dimitrios Kouretas, A. Wallace Hayes, and Aristidis M. Tsatsakis, “Biological importance of reactive oxygen species in relation to difficulties of treating pathologies involving oxidative stress by exogenous antioxidants,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2013.
- R.C. Rebolledo-Cobos, B. Teixeira, and C. Correa, “Asma, estrés oxidativo y ejercicio físico: revisión de la literatura,” Fisioterapia, 2013.
- Soledad Benlloch-Navarro, Ilenia Franco, Violeta Sánchez-Vallejo, Dolores Silvestre, Francisco Javier Romero, and María Miranda, “Lipid Peroxidation Is Increased In Tears From The Elderly,” Experimental Eye Research, 2013.
- T.B. Marcelino, A. Longoni, K.Y. Kudo, V. Stone, A. Reck, A. de Assis, E.B.S. Scherer, M.J. da Cunha, A.T.S. Wyse, L.F. Pettenuzzo, G. Leipnitz, and C. Matté, “Evidences that maternal swimming exercise improves antioxidant defenses and induces mitochondrial biogenesis in the brain of young Wistar rats,” Neuroscience, 2013.
- Frank Suhr, Sebastian Gehlert, Marijke Grau, and Wilhelm Bloch, “Skeletal Muscle Function during Exercise-Fine-Tuning of Diverse Subsystems by Nitric Oxide,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 7109–7139, 2013.
- Fernanda R. Roque, Raquel Hernanz, Mercedes Salaices, and Ana M. Briones, “Exercise Training and Cardiometabolic Diseases: Focus on the Vascular System,” Current Hypertension Reports, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 204–214, 2013.
- Maira J. da Cunha, Aline A. da Cunha, G. K. Ferreira, Mauricio E. Baladao, Luiz E. B. Savio, Carlos L. Reichel, Adriana Kessler, Carlos A. Netto, and Angela T. S. Wyse, “The effect of exercise on the oxidative stress induced by experimental lung injury,” Life Sciences, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 218–227, 2013.
- Alexandra Malgoyre, Hervé Sanchez, Nathalie Koulmann, Clothilde Mora, and Xavier Bigard, “L’entraînement commence à table,” Médecine & Nutrition, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 104–109, 2013.
- Mónica Sousa, Vítor H. Teixeira, and José Soares, “Dietary strategies to recover from exercise-induced muscle damage,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- Lingling Shan, Bin Wang, Guizhen Gao, and Wengen Cao, “L-Arginine supplementation improves antioxidant defenses through L-arginine /nitric oxide pathways in exercised rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 115, no. 8, pp. 1146–1155, 2013.
- Jakob Friis Schmidt, Jesper Olesen, Rasmus Sjorup Bienso, Sebastian Louis Peronard, Simon Udsen Grandjean, Stefan Peter Mortensen, Michael Nyberg, Jens Bangsbo, Henriette Pilegaard, and Ylva Hellsten, “Resveratrol blunts the positive effects of exercise training on cardiovascu lar health in aged men,” Journal of Physiology-London, vol. 591, no. 20, pp. 5047–5059, 2013.
- Brahm Kumar Tiwari, Kanti Bhooshan Pandey, A. B. Abidi, and Syed Ibrahim Rizvi, “Markers of Oxidative Stress during Diabetes Mellitus,” Journal of Biomarkers, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Hajime Otani, “Site-Specific Antioxidative Therapy for Prevention of Atherosclerosis and Cardiovascular Disease,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2013, pp. 1–14, 2013.
- Liang-en Chen, Feng Wu, Yi-mei Xin, An-dong Zhao, Yong-xin Wang, and Hao Zhan, “Protective effect of Tianqi Hangli Recipe (天芪航力方) extract on high sustained positive acceleration stress-induced myocardial mitochondrial injury in rats,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2014.
- Steve Moylan, Michael Berk, Olivia M. Dean, Yuval Samuni, Lana Williams, Adrienne O’Neil, Amie C. Hayley, Julie A. Pasco, George Anderson, Felice Jacka, and Michael Maes, “Oxidative & nitrosative stress in depression: why so much stress?,” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 2014.
- Andrew Chappell, Alison McE Jenkinson, Frank Thies, and Stuart R. Gray, “Fish Oil Supplementation Reduces Markers of Oxidative Stress But Not Muscle Soreness After Eccentric Exercise,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 206–214, 2014.
- J. Assies, R. J. T. Mocking, A. Lok, H. G. Ruhé, F. Pouwer, and A. H. Schene, “Effects of oxidative stress on fatty acid- and one-carbon-metabolism in psychiatric and cardiovascular disease comorbidity,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 2014.
- James D Watson, “Type 2 diabetes as a redox disease,” The Lancet, vol. 383, no. 9919, pp. 841–843, 2014.
- Rian Q. Landers-Ramos, Nathan T. Jenkins, Espen E. Spangenburg, James M. Hagberg, and Steven J. Prior, “Circulating angiogenic and inflammatory cytokine responses to acute aerobic exercise in trained and sedentary young men,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, 2014.
- Alexandros Pechlivanis, Anastasia Chrysovalantou Chatziioannou, Aristidis S. Veskoukis, Dimitrios Kouretas, Vassilis Mougios, and Georgios A. Theodoridis, “GC-MS analysis of blood for the metabonomic investigation of the effects of physical exercise and allopurinol administration on rats,” Journal of Chromatography B, 2014.
- Ya-Hui Chen, Wei-Wen Lin, Chin-San Liu, Li-Sung Hsu, and Yueh-Min Lin, “Caveolin-1 Provides Palliation for Adverse Hepatic Reactions in Hypercholes terolemic Rabbits,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014.
- Rebeca Cambray Guerra, Alejandra Zuñiga-Muñoz, Verónica Guarner Lans, Eulises Díaz-Díaz, Carlos Alberto Tena Betancourt, and Israel Pérez-Torres, “Modulation of the Activities of Catalase, Cu-Zn, Mn Superoxide Dismutase, and Glutathione Peroxidase in Adipocyte from Ovariectomised Female Rats with Metabolic Syndrome,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2014, pp. 1–10, 2014.
- Masayo Matsuzaki, Megumi Haruna, Erika Ota, Ryoko Murayama, Tokio Yamaguchi, Izuru Shioji, Shinya Sasaki, Takuhiro Yamaguchi, and Sachiyo Murashima, “Effects of lifestyle factors on urinary oxidative stress and serum antioxidant markers in pregnant Japanese women: A cohort study,” BioScience Trends, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 176–184, 2014.