- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 785743, 13 pages
Inhibition of Mitochondrial Cytochrome c Release and Suppression of Caspases by Gamma-Tocotrienol Prevent Apoptosis and Delay Aging in Stress-Induced Premature Senescence of Skin Fibroblasts
1Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 3 March 2012; Revised 16 May 2012; Accepted 24 May 2012
Academic Editor: Paula Ludovico
Copyright © 2012 Suzana Makpol et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Duan, J. Duan, Z. Zhang, and T. Tong, “Irreversible cellular senescence induced by prolonged exposure to H2O2 involves DNA-damage-and-repair genes and telomere shortening,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1407–1420, 2005.
- J. Campisi, “Cancer, aging and cellular senescence,” In Vivo, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 183–188, 2000.
- L. A. Loeb, D. C. Wallace, and G. M. Martin, “The mitochondrial theory of aging and its relationship to reactive oxygen species damage and somatic mtDNA mutations,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 52, pp. 18769–18770, 2005.
- R. Brigelius-Flohé, “Vitamin E: the shrew waiting to be tamed,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 543–554, 2009.
- S. Schaffer, W. E. Müller, and G. P. Eckert, “Tocotrienols: constitutional effects in aging and disease,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 151–154, 2005.
- S. Makpol, L. W. Durani, K. H. Chua, Y. A. Mohd Yusof, and W. Z. Wan Ngah, “Tocotrienol-rich fraction prevents cell cycle arrest and elongates telomere length in senescent human diploid fibroblasts,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 506171, 2011.
- H. Adachi and N. Ishii, “Effects of tocotrienols on life span and protein carbonylation in Caenorhabditis elegans,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. B280–B285, 2000.
- S. Makpol, A. Z. Abidin, K. Sairin, M. Mazlan, G. M. Top, and W. Z. W. Ngah, “γ-tocotrienol prevents oxidative stress-induced telomere shortening in human fibroblasts derived from different aged individuals,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 2010.
- Y. Higami and I. Shimokawa, “Apoptosis in the aging process,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 301, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 2000.
- H.-Y. Shan, X. J. Bai, and X. M. Chen, “Apoptosis is involved in the senescence of endothelial cells induced by angiotensin II,” Cell Biology International, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 264–270, 2008.
- S. J. Martin, D. M. Finucane, G. P. Amarante-Mendes, G. A. O'Brien, and D. R. Green, “Phosphatidylserine externalization during CD95-induced apoptosis of cells and cytoplasts requires ICE/CED-3 protease activity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 46, pp. 28753–28756, 1996.
- G. Koopman, C. P. M. Reutelingsperger, G. A. M. Kuijten, R. M. J. Keehnen, S. T. Pals, and M. H. J. Van Oers, “Annexin V for flow cytometric detection of phosphatidylserine expression on B cells undergoing apoptosis,” Blood, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 1415–1420, 1994.
- U. Fischer, R. U. Jänicke, and K. Schulze-Osthoff, “Many cuts to ruin: a comprehensive update of caspase substrates,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 76–100, 2003.
- P. A. Parone, D. James, and J. C. Martinou, “Mitochondria: regulating the inevitable,” Biochimie, vol. 84, no. 2-3, pp. 105–111, 2002.
- D. Arnoult, P. Parone, J. C. Martinou, B. Antonsson, J. Estaquier, and J. C. Ameisen, “Mitochondrial release of apoptosis-inducing factor occurs downstream of cytochrome c release in response to several proapoptotic stimuli,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 159, no. 6, pp. 923–929, 2002.
- J. P. de Magalhães, F. Chainiaux, J. Remacle, and O. Toussaint, “Stress-induced premature senescence in BJ and hTERT-BJ1 human foreskin fibroblasts,” Federation of European Biochemical Societies, vol. 523, no. 1-2, pp. 157–162, 2002.
- S. Zdanov, J. Remacle, and O. Toussaint, “Establishment of H2O2-induced premature senescence in human fibroblasts concomitant with increased cellular production of H 2O2,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1067, no. 1, pp. 210–216, 2006.
- N.-C. Yang and M. L. Hu, “The limitations and validities of senescence associated-β- galactosidase activity as an aging marker for human foreskin fibroblast Hs68 cells,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 813–819, 2005.
- S. Ohshima, “Apoptosis in stress-induced and spontaneously senescent human fibroblasts,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 324, no. 1, pp. 241–246, 2004.
- T. Mammone, D. Gan, and R. Foyouzi-Youssefi, “Apoptotic cell death increases with senescence in normal human dermal fibroblast cultures,” Cell Biology International, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 903–909, 2006.
- M. Nagase, T. Shiota, A. Tsushima et al., “Molecular mechanism of satratoxin-induced apoptosis in HL-60 cells: activation of caspase-8 and caspase-9 is involved in activation of caspase-3,” Immunology Letters, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 23–27, 2002.
- J. C. Reed, “Double identity for proteins of the Bcl-2 family,” Nature, vol. 387, no. 6635, pp. 773–776, 1997.
- P. Palozza, S. Serini, A. Torsello et al., “Mechanism of activation of caspase cascade during β-carotene-induced apoptosis in human tumor cells,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 76–87, 2003.
- G. Lu, I. Shimizu, X. Cui et al., “Antioxidant and antiapoptotic activities of idoxifene and estradiol in hepatic fibrosis in rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 897–907, 2004.
- J. Yang, X. Liu, K. Bhalla et al., “Prevention of apoptosis by Bcl-2: release of cytochrome c from mitochondria blocked,” Science, vol. 275, no. 5303, pp. 1129–1132, 1997.
- P. Dumont, M. Burton, Q. M. Chen et al., “Induction of replicative senescence biomarkers by sublethal oxidative stresses in normal human fibroblast,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 361–373, 2000.
- G. P. Dimri, X. Lee, G. Basile et al., “A biomarker that identifies senescent human cells in culture and in aging skin in vivo,” Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 20, pp. 9363–9367, 1995.
- I. Vermes, C. Haanen, H. Steffens-Nakken, and C. Reutelingsperger, “A novel assay for apoptosis. Flow cytometric detection of phosphatidylserine expression on early apoptotic cells using fluorescein labelled Annexin V,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 184, no. 1, pp. 39–51, 1995.
- A. Zainuddin, K. H. Chua, N. A. Rahim, and S. Makpol, “Effect of experimental treatment on GAPDH mRNA expression as a housekeeping gene in human diploid fibroblasts,” BMC Molecular Biology, vol. 11, p. 59, 2010.
- L. Carthagena, A. Bergamaschi, J. M. Luna et al., “Human TRIM gene expression in response to interferons,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 3, Article ID e4894, pp. 1–13, 2009.