- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 831748, 8 pages
Simvastatin Attenuates Contrast-Induced Nephropathy through Modulation of Oxidative Stress, Proinflammatory Myeloperoxidase, and Nitric Oxide
1Department of Urology, Prince Sultan Medical Military City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2Research Center, Prince Sultan Medical Military City, P.O. Box 7897 (S-775), Riyadh 11159, Saudi Arabia
Received 20 June 2012; Accepted 3 September 2012
Academic Editor: Sumitra Miriyala
Copyright © 2012 Ketab E. Al-Otaibi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. A. Sterling, T. Tehrani, and M. R. Rudnick, “Clinical significance and preventive strategies for contrast-induced nephropathy,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 616–623, 2008.
- N. Pannu, N. Wiebe, M. Tonelli, and Alberta Kidney Disease Network, “Prophylaxis strategies for contrast-induced nephropathy,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 23, pp. 2765–2779, 2006.
- L. S. Weisberg, P. B. Kurnik, and B. R. C. Kurnik, “Radiocontrast-induced nephropathy in humans: role of renal vasoconstriction,” Kidney International, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1408–1415, 1992.
- I. Hizoh and C. Haller, “Radiocontrast-induced renal tubular cell apoptosis: hypertonic versus oxidative stress,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 428–434, 2002.
- G. Jost, H. Pietsch, J. Sommer et al., “Retention of iodine and expression of biomarkers for renal damage in the kidney after application of iodinated contrast media in rats,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 114–123, 2009.
- R. D. Moore, E. P. Steinberg, N. R. Powe et al., “Nephrotoxicity of high-osmolality versus low-osmolality contrast media: randomized clinical trial,” Radiology, vol. 182, no. 3, pp. 649–655, 1992.
- S. Acikel, H. Muderrisoglu, A. Yildirir et al., “Prevention of contrast-induced impairment of renal function by short-term or long-term statin therapy in patients undergoing elective coronary angiography,” Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 750–757, 2010.
- S. Yoshida, H. Kamihata, S. Nakamura et al., “Prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy by chronic pravastatin treatment in patients with cardiovascular disease and renal insufficiency,” Journal of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 192–198, 2009.
- L. Zhang, L. Zhang, Y. Lu et al., “Efficacy of statin pretreatment for the prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 624–630, 2011.
- M. A. Munoz, P. R. Maxwell, K. Green, D. W. Hughes, and R. L. Talbert, “Pravastatin versus simvastatin for prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 3-4, pp. 376–379, 2011.
- S. B. Duan, F. Y. Liu, J. A. Luo et al., “Nephrotoxicity of high- and low-osmolar contrast media: the protective role of amlodipine in a rat model,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 503–507, 2000.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- M. J. Mangino, M. K. Murphy, G. G. Grabau, and C. B. Anderson, “Protective effects of glycine during hypothermic renal ischemia-reperfusion injury,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 261, no. 5, part 2, pp. F841–F848, 1991.
- F. C. Barone, L. M. Hillegass, W. J. Price et al., “Polymorphonuclear leukocyte infiltration into cerebral focal ischemic tissue: myeloperoxidase activity assay and histologic verification,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 336–345, 1991.
- H. Moshage, B. Kok, J. R. Huizenga, and P. L. M. Jansen, “Nitrite and nitrate determinations in plasma: a critical evaluation,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 41, no. 6, part 1, pp. 892–896, 1995.
- L. Raij, S. Azar, and W. Keane, “Mesangial immune injury, hypertension, and progressive glomerular damage in Dahl rats,” Kidney International, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 137–143, 1984.
- Y. Zhao, Z. Tao, Z. Xu et al., “Toxic effects of a high dose of non-ionic iodinated contrast media on renal glomerular and aortic endothelial cells in aged rats in vivo,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 202, no. 3, pp. 253–260, 2011.
- O. Toprak, M. Cirit, M. Tanrisev et al., “Preventive effect of nebivolol on contrast-induced nephropathy in rats,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 853–859, 2008.
- A. S. Berns, “Nephrotoxicity of contrast media,” Kidney International, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 730–740, 1989.
- S. R. Inman, T. W. Caprio, E. Drummond, M. Mueller, and K. Entenman, “Enhanced acetylcholine-induced dilation in afferent arterioles in simvastatin-fed rats,” Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 17–21, 2006.
- Y. Agmon, H. Peleg, Z. Greenfeld, S. Rosen, and M. Brezis, “Nitric oxide and prostanoids protect the renal outer medulla from radiocontrast toxicity in the rat,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 1069–1075, 1994.
- N. Klause, T. Arendt, M. Lins, and G. Gronow, “Hypoxic renal tissue damage by endothelin-mediated arterial vasoconstriction during radioangiography in man,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 454, pp. 225–234, 1998.
- R. Beeri, Z. Symon, M. Brezis et al., “Rapid DNA fragmentation from hypoxia along the thick ascending limb of rat kidneys,” Kidney International, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1806–1810, 1995.
- A. M. Sheridan and J. V. Bonventre, “Pathophysiology of ischemic acute renal failure,” Contributions to Nephrology, vol. 132, pp. 7–21, 2001.
- A. Yesilyurt, I. Aydin Erden, I. Bilgiç, G. Erden, and A. Albayrak, “The protective effect of erdosteine on radiocontrast induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Environmental Toxicology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 395–402, 2011.
- Z. Parvez, M. A. Rahman, and R. Moncada, “Contrast media-induced lipid peroxidation in the rat kidney,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 697–702, 1989.
- H. C. Lee, H. W. Yen, and S. H. Sheu, “Effects of different contrast media on glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase activities in the heart and kidneys of normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, vol. 105, no. 7, pp. 530–535, 2006.
- C. F. Pinto, M. Watanabe, and M. D. F. F. Vattimo, “Hydration and N-acetylcysteine in acute renal failure caused by iodinated contrast medium: an experiment with rats,” Journal of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 783–788, 2008.
- A. Imaeda, T. Tanigawa, T. Aoki, Y. Kondo, N. Nakamura, and T. Yoshikawa, “Antioxidative effects of fluvastatin and its metabolites against oxidative DNA damage in mammalian cultured cells,” Free Radical Research, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 789–801, 2001.
- M. Kassan, M. J. Montero, and M. A. Sevilla, “In vitro antioxidant activity of pravastatin provides vascular protection,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 630, no. 1-3, pp. 107–111, 2010.
- Y. An, H. Xin, W. Yan, and X. Zhou, “Amelioration of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by pravastatin in mice,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 215–219, 2011.
- M. Fujieda, T. Morita, K. Naruse et al., “Effect of pravastatin on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 603–615, 2011.
- S. Sela, R. Shurtz-Swirski, M. Cohen-Mazor et al., “Primed peripheral polymorphonuclear leukocyte: a culprit underlying chronic low-grade inflammation and systemic oxidative stress in chronic kidney disease,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 2431–2438, 2005.
- M. R. Rodrigues, D. Rodriguez, M. Russo, and A. Campa, “Macrophage activation includes high intracellular myeloperoxidase activity,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 292, no. 4, pp. 869–873, 2002.
- H. W. Yao, L. G. Mao, and J. P. Zhu, “Protective effects of pravastatin in murine lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 793–797, 2006.
- V. Krane and C. Wanner, “Statins, inflammation and kidney disease,” Nature Reviews Nephrology, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 385–397, 2011.
- M. Sendeski, A. Patzak, T. L. Pallone, C. Cao, A. E. Persson, and P. B. Persson, “Iodixanol, constriction of medullary descending vasa recta, and risk for contrast medium-induced nephropathy,” Radiology, vol. 251, no. 3, pp. 697–704, 2009.
- D. W. Yang, R. H. Jia, D. P. Yang, G. H. Ding, and C. X. Huang, “Dietary hypercholesterolemia aggravates contrast media-induced nephropathy,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 542–546, 2004.
- L. Andrade, S. B. Campos, and A. C. Seguro, “Hypercholesterolemia aggravates radiocontrast nephrotoxicity: protective role of L-arginine,” Kidney International, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1736–1742, 1998.
- S. Wolfrum, K. S. Jensen, and J. K. Liao, “Endothelium-dependent effects of statins,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 729–736, 2003.
- U. Laufs, V. La Fata, J. Plutzky, and J. K. Liao, “Upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase by HMG CoA reductase inhibitors,” Circulation, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 1129–1135, 1998.
- N. Ghaffari, C. Ball, J. A. Kennedy, I. Stafford, and J. F. Beltrame, “Acute modulation of vasoconstrictor responses by Pravastatin in small vessels,” Circulation Journal, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1506–1514, 2011.
- N. Bao, S. Minatoguchi, H. Kobayashi et al., “Pravastatin reduces myocardial infarct size via increasing protein kinase C-dependent nitric oxide, decreasing oxyradicals and opening the mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate-sensitive potassium channels in rabbits,” Circulation Journal, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 1622–1628, 2007.
- S. R. Inman, N. A. Davis, K. M. Olson, and V. A. Lukaszek, “Simvastatin attenuates renal ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats administered cyclosporine A,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 326, no. 3, pp. 117–121, 2003.