- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 919832, 8 pages
Protein Oxidative Damage at the Crossroads of Cellular Senescence, Aging, and Age-Related Diseases
Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire du Vieillissement, UR4-IFR83, Université Pierre et Marie Curie-Paris 6, 4 Place Jussieu, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Received 30 July 2012; Accepted 14 September 2012
Academic Editor: Paula Ludovico
Copyright © 2012 Martin A. Baraibar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Hayflick and P. S. Moorhead, “The serial cultivation of human diploid cell strains,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 585–621, 1961.
- L. Hayflick, “The limited in vitro lifetime of human diploid cell strains,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 614–636, 1965.
- S. N. Garcia and O. Pereira-Smith, “MRGing chromatin dynamics and cellular senescence,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 133–141, 2008.
- D. Röhme, “Evidence for a relationship between longevity of mammalian species and life spans of normal fibroblasts in vitro and erythrocytes in vivo,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 78, no. 8 I, pp. 5009–5013, 1981.
- R. Wadhwa, C. C. Deocaris, N. Widodo, K. Taira, and S. C. Kaul, “Imminent approaches towards molecular interventions in ageing,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 481–490, 2005.
- J. D. Erusalimsky and D. J. Kurz, “Cellular senescence in vivo: its relevance in ageing and cardiovascular disease,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 40, no. 8-9, pp. 634–642, 2005.
- J. C. Jeyapalan and J. M. Sedivy, “Cellular senescence and organismal aging,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 129, no. 7-8, pp. 467–474, 2008.
- D. J. Baker, T. Wijshake, T. Tchkonia et al., “Clearance of p16Ink4a-positive senescent cells delays ageing-associated disorders,” Nature, vol. 479, pp. 232–236, 2012.
- E. R. Stadtman, “Protein oxidation and aging,” Free Radical Research, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1250–1258, 2006.
- N. Ugarte, I. Petropoulos, and B. Friguet, “Oxidized mitochondrial protein degradation and repair in aging and oxidative stress,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 539–549, 2010.
- K. C. Kregel and H. J. Zhang, “An integrated view of oxidative stress in aging: basic mechanisms, functional effects, and pathological considerations,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 292, no. 1, pp. R18–R36, 2007.
- K. Apel and H. Hirt, “Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction,” Annual Review of Plant Biology, vol. 55, pp. 373–399, 2004.
- P. Mecocci, G. Fanó, S. Fulle et al., “Age-dependent increases in oxidative damage to DNA, lipids, and proteins in human skeletal muscle,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 3-4, pp. 303–308, 1999.
- S. V. Avery, “Molecular targets of oxidative stress,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 434, no. 2, pp. 201–210, 2011.
- M. A. Baraibar, A. G. Barbeito, B. B. Muhoberac, and R. Vidal, “A mutant light-chain ferritin that causes neurodegeneration has enhanced propensity toward oxidative damage,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1692–1697, 2012.
- C. R. Picot, M. Moreau, M. Juan et al., “Impairment of methionine sulfoxide reductase during UV irradiation and photoaging,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 859–863, 2007.
- E. R. Stadtman and R. L. Levine, “Free radical-mediated oxidation of free amino acids and amino acid residues in proteins,” Amino Acids, vol. 25, no. 3-4, pp. 207–218, 2003.
- J. Chiu, C. M. Tactacan, S. X. Tan, R. C. Y. Lin, M. A. Wouters, and I. W. Dawes, “Cell cycle sensing of oxidative stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by oxidation of a specific cysteine residue in the transcription factor Swi6p,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 7, pp. 5204–5214, 2011.
- M. Kästle and T. Grune, “Protein oxidative modification in the aging organism and the role of the ubiquitin proteasomal system,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 17, no. 36, pp. 4007–4022, 2011.
- K. Uchida, “4-Hydroxy-2-nonenal: a product and mediator of oxidative stress,” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 318–343, 2003.
- N. Rabbani and P. J. Thornalley, “Dicarbonyls linked to damage in the powerhouse: glycation of mitochondrial proteins and oxidative stress,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1045–1050, 2008.
- B. S. Berlett and E. R. Stadtman, “Protein oxidation in aging, disease, and oxidative stress,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 33, pp. 20313–20316, 1997.
- I. Dalle-Donne, D. Giustarini, R. Colombo, R. Rossi, and A. Milzani, “Protein carbonylation in human diseases,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 169–176, 2003.
- A. Martínez, M. Portero-Otin, R. Pamplona, and I. Ferrer, “Protein targets of oxidative damage in human neurodegenerative diseases with abnormal protein aggregates,” Brain Pathology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 281–297, 2010.
- E. K. Ahmed, C. R. Picot, A. L. Bulteau, and B. Friguet, “Protein oxidative modifications and replicative senescence of WI-38 human embryonic fibroblasts,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1119, no. 1, pp. 88–96, 2007.
- E. K. Ahmed, A. Rogowska-Wrzesinska, P. Roepstorff, A. L. Bulteau, and B. Friguet, “Protein modification and replicative senescence of WI-38 human embryonic fibroblasts,” Aging Cell, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 252–272, 2010.
- Y. C. Jang and H. V. Remmen, “The mitochondrial theory of aging: insight from transgenic and knockout mouse models,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 256–260, 2009.
- O. M. Lashin, P. A. Szweda, L. I. Szweda, and A. M. P. Romani, “Decreased complex II respiration and HNE-modified SDH subunit in diabetic heart,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 886–896, 2006.
- M. G. Rosca, V. M. Monnier, L. I. Szweda, and M. F. Weiss, “Alterations in renal mitochondrial respiration in response to the reactive oxoaldehyde methylglyoxal,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 1, pp. F52–F59, 2002.
- Q. Gan, J. Huang, R. Zhou et al., “PPARγ accelerates cellular senescence by inducing p16INK4α expression in human diploid fibroblasts,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 121, no. 13, pp. 2235–2245, 2008.
- Y. M. Kim, H. T. Shin, Y. H. Seo et al., “Sterol regulatory element-binding protein (SREBP)-1-mediated lipogenesis is involved in cell senescence,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 38, pp. 29069–29077, 2010.
- M. A. Baraibar, J. Hyzewicz, A. Rogowska-Wrzesinska et al., “Oxidative stress-induced proteome alterations target different cellular pathways in human myoblasts,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 1522–1532, 2011.
- C. Franceschi, M. Bonafè, S. Valensin et al., “Inflamm-aging. An evolutionary perspective on immunosenescence,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 908, pp. 244–254, 2000.