- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 308358, 8 pages
Influence of Block of NF-Kappa B Signaling Pathway on Oxidative Stress in the Liver Homogenates
1Experimental and Clinical Physiology, Department of Cardiovascular Physiology, Medical University of Lodz, 6/8 Mazowiecka Street, 92-215 Lodz, Poland
2Department of Biochemical Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy, Medical University of Lodz, 1 Muszynskiego Street, 91-151 Lodz, Poland
3Laboratory of Molecular Diagnostic and Pharmacogenomics, Department of Biochemical Pharmacy, Medical University of Lodz, 1 Muszynskiego Street, 91-151 Lodz, Poland
Received 27 October 2012; Revised 18 February 2013; Accepted 19 February 2013
Academic Editor: Ron Kohen
Copyright © 2013 Paulina Kleniewska et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Yanagisawa, H. Kurihara, S. Kimura et al., “A novel potent vasoconstrictor peptide produced by vascular endothelial cells,” Nature, vol. 332, no. 6163, pp. 411–415, 1988.
- K. J. Dammanahalli and Z. Sun, “Endothelins and NADPH oxidases in the cardiovascular system,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 2–6, 2008.
- A. K. Khimji and D. C. Rockey, “Endothelin—biology and disease,” Cellular Signalling, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1615–1625, 2010.
- B. Vollmar and M. D. Menger, “The hepatic microcirculation: mechanistic contributions and therapeutic targets in liver injury and repair,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 1269–1339, 2009.
- T. Sakurai, M. Yanagisawa, Y. Takuwa et al., “Cloning of a cDNA encoding a non-isopeptide-selective subtype of the endothelin receptor,” Nature, vol. 348, no. 6303, pp. 732–735, 1990.
- S. Taddei, A. Virdis, L. Ghiadoni, I. Sudano, A. Magagna, and A. Salvetti, “Role of endothelin in the control of peripheral vascular tone in human hypertension,” Heart Failure Reviews, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 277–285, 2001.
- H. Yokomori, M. Oda, Y. Yasogawa et al., “Enhanced expression of endothelin B receptor at protein and gene levels in human cirrhotic liver,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 159, no. 4, pp. 1353–1362, 2001.
- C. Housset, D. C. Rockey, and D. M. Bissell, “Endothelin receptors in rat liver: lipocytes as a contractile target for endothelin 1,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 90, no. 20, pp. 9266–9270, 1993.
- A. Gabriel, R. H. Kuddus, A. S. Rao, W. D. Watkins, and C. R. Gandhi, “Superoxide-induced changes in endothelin (ET) receptors in hepatic stellate cells,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 614–627, 1998.
- M. Pinzani, S. Milani, R. de Franco et al., “Endothelin 1 is overexpressed in human cirrhotic liver and exerts multiple effects on activated hepatic stellate cells,” Gastroenterology, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 534–548, 1996.
- S. Moller, C. Emmeluth, and J. H. Henriksen, “Elevated circulating plasma endothelin-1 concentrations in cirrhosis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 285–290, 1993.
- I. Alam, N. M. Bass, P. Bacchetti, L. Gee, and D. C. Rockey, “Hepatic tissue endothelin-1 levels in chronic liver disease correlate with disease severity and ascites,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 199–203, 2000.
- C. Huguet, A. Gavelli, and S. Bona, “Hepatic resection with ischemia of the liver exceeding one hour,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 178, no. 5, pp. 454–458, 1994.
- S. Francque, W. Laleman, L. Verbeke et al., “Increased intrahepatic resistance in severe steatosis: endothelial dysfunction, vasoconstrictor overproduction and altered microvascular architecture,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 92, no. 10, pp. 1428–1439, 2012.
- C. R. Gandhi, L. A. Sproat, and V. M. Subbotin, “Increased hepatic endothelin-1 levels and endothelins receptor density in cirrhotic rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 55–62, 1996.
- D. C. Rockey, L. Fouassier, J. J. Chung et al., “Cellular localization of endothelin-1 and increased production in liver injury in the rat: potential for autocrine and paracrine effects on stellate cells,” Hepatology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 472–480, 1998.
- R. Shao and D. C. Rockey, “Effects of endothelins on hepatic stellate cell synthesis of endothelin-1 during hepatic wound healing,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 191, no. 3, pp. 342–350, 2002.
- M. Pinzani and F. Marra, “Cytokine receptors and signaling in hepatic stellate cells,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 397–416, 2001.
- D. C. Rockey, “Characterization of endothelin receptors mediating rat hepatic stellate cell contraction,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 207, no. 2, pp. 725–731, 1995.
- D. C. Rockey and R. A. Weisiger, “Endothelin induced contractility of stellate cells from normal and cirrhotic rat liver: implications for regulation of portal pressure and resistance,” Hepatology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 233–240, 1996.
- H. Jaeschke and A. Farhood, “Kupffer cell activation after no-flow ischemia versus hemorrhagic shock,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 210–219, 2002.
- M. Bauer, J. X. Zhang, I. Bauer, and M. G. Clemens, “ET-1 induced alterations of hepatic microcirculation: sinusoidal and extrasinusoidal sites of action,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 267, no. 1, pp. G143–G149, 1994.
- A. Khimji and D. C. Rockey, “Endothelin and hepatic wound healing,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 512–518, 2011.
- S. Sriram, D. Subramanian, R. Sathiakumar et al., “Modulation of reactive oxygen species in skeletal muscle by myostatin is mediated through NF-κB,” Aging Cell, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 931–948, 2011.
- J. G. Lunz III, H. Tsuji, I. Nozaki, N. Murase, and A. J. Demetris, “An inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinase, stress-induced p21 Waf-1/Cip-1, mediates hepatocyte mito-inhibition during the evolution of cirrhosis,” Hepatology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1262–1271, 2005.
- M. A. O'Reilly, “Redox activation of p21Cip1/WAF1/Sdi1: a multifunctional regulator of cell survival and death,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 7, no. 1-2, pp. 108–118, 2005.
- W. S. Yang, J. W. Chang, N. J. Han, and S. K. Park, “Darbepoetin alfa suppresses tumor necrosis factor-α-induced endothelin-1 production through antioxidant action in human aortic endothelial cells: role of sialic acid residues,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 1242–1251, 2011.
- W. S. Yang, J. M. Lee, N. J. Han, Y. J. Kim, J. W. Chang, and S. K. Park, “Mycophenolic acid attenuates tumor necrosis factor-α-induced endothelin-1 production in human aortic endothelial cells,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 211, no. 1, pp. 48–54, 2010.
- P. Chomczynski and N. Sacchi, “Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 156–159, 1987.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- V. C. Cogger, M. Muller, R. Fraser, A. J. McLean, J. Khan, and D. G. Le Couteur, “The effects of oxidative stress on the liver sieve,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 370–376, 2004.
- S. A. Keller, C. C. Moore, M. G. Clemens, I. H. McKillop, and T. Huynh, “Activated protein C restores hepatic microcirculation during sepsis by modulating vasoregulator expression,” Shock, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 361–369, 2011.
- M. Glanemann, B. Vollmar, A. K. Nussler, T. Schaefer, P. Neuhaus, and M. D. Menger, “Ischemic preconditioning protects from hepatic ischemia/reperfusion-injury by preservation of microcirculation and mitochondrial redox-state,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2003.
- M. J. Czaja, “Cell signaling in oxidative stress-induced liver injury,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 378–389, 2007.
- P. J. de Bleser, G. Xu, K. Rombouts, V. Rogiers, and A. Geerts, “Glutathione levels discriminate between oxidative stress and transforming growth factor-β signaling in activated rat hepatic stellate cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 48, pp. 33881–33887, 1999.
- L. S. Oliboni, C. Dani, C. Funchal, J. A. Henriques, and M. Salvador, “Hepatoprotective, cardioprotective, and renal-protective effects of organic and conventional grapevine leaf extracts on Wistar rat tissues,” Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 1403–1411, 2011.
- J. L. Li, Q. Y. Wang, H. Y. Luan, Z. C. Kang, and C. B. Wang, “Effects of L-carnitine against oxidative stress in human hepatocytes: involvement of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α,” Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 19, article 32, 2012.
- S. A. Ganie, E. Haq, A. Hamid, A. Masood, and M. A. Zargar, “Long dose exposure of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in albino rats and effect of Podophyllum hexandrum on oxidative stress,” European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 906–915, 2011.
- M. E. Anderson and A. Meister, “Glutathione monoesters,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 16–20, 1989.
- J. Y. Kim, E. H. Song, H. J. Lee et al., “HBx-Induced hepatic steatosis and apoptosis are regulated by TNFR1- and NF-κB-dependent pathways,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 397, no. 4, pp. 917–931, 2010.
- C. H. Lee, S. H. Kim, and S. M. Lee, “Effect of pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate on hepatic vascular stress gene expression during ischemia and reperfusion,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 595, no. 1–3, pp. 100–107, 2008.
- M. Ohkita, M. Takaoka, Y. Shiota, R. Nojiri, M. Sugii, and Y. Matsumura, “A nuclear factor-κB inhibitor BAY 11-7082 suppresses endothelin-1 production in cultured vascular endothelial cells,” Japanese Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 81–84, 2002.
- I. Sigala, P. Zacharatos, D. Toumpanakis et al., “MAPKs and NF-κB differentially regulate cytokine expression in the diaphragm in response to resistive breathing: the role of oxidative stress,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 300, no. 5, pp. R1152–R1162, 2011.
- E. S. Cho, S. B. Lee, I. H. Bae, Y. S. Lee, S. J. Lee, and H. D. Um, “Ionizing radiation induces blockade of c-Jun N-terminal kinase-dependent cell death pathway in a manner correlated with p21Cip/WAF1 induction in primary cultured normal human fibroblasts,” Experimental and Molecular Medicine, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 282–289, 2005.
- S. J. Wort, M. Ito, P. C. Chou et al., “Synergistic induction of endothelin-1 by tumor necrosis factor α and interferon γ is due to enhanced NF-κB binding and histone acetylation at specific κB sites,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 36, pp. 24297–24305, 2009.
- C. Gallois, A. Habib, J. Tao et al., “Role of NF-κB in the antiproliferative effect of endothelin-1 and tumor necrosis factor-α in human hepatic stellate cells: involvement of cyclooxygenase-2,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 36, pp. 23183–23190, 1998.
- S. Ghosh, M. J. May, and E. B. Kopp, “NF-κB and rel proteins: evolutionarily conserved mediators of immune responses,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 16, pp. 225–260, 1998.
- P. Calabrò, P. Cirillo, G. Limongelli et al., “Tissue factor is induced by resistin in human coronary artery endothelial cells by the NF-κB-dependent pathway,” Journal of Vascular Research, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2010.
- M. L. Cho, Y. M. Moon, Y. J. Heo et al., “NF-κB inhibition leads to increased synthesis and secretion of MIF in human CD4+ T cells,” Immunology Letters, vol. 123, no. 1, pp. 21–30, 2009.
- A. Zanotto-Filho, D. P. Gelain, R. Schröder et al., “The NFκB-mediated control of RS and JNK signaling in vitamin A-treated cells: duration of JNK-AP-1 pathway activation may determine cell death or proliferation,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 1291–1301, 2009.
- A. Kumar, G. Negi, and S. S. Sharma, “Suppression of NF-κB and NF-κB regulated oxidative stress and neuroinflammation by BAY 11-7082 (IkB phosphorylation inhibitor) in experimental diabetic neuropathy,” Biochimie, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1158–1165, 2012.
- A. Q. Khan, R. Khan, W. Qamar et al., “Caffeic acid attenuates 12-O-tetradecanoyl-phorbol-13-acetate (TPA)-induced NF-κB and COX-2 expression in mouse skin: abrogation of oxidative stress, inflammatory responses and proinflammatory cytokine production,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 175–183, 2012.
- E. Chávez, L. Castro-Sánchez, M. Shibayama et al., “Effects of acetyl salicylic acid and ibuprofen in chronic liver damage induced by CCl4,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2011.
- A. Piechota and A. Goraca, “Influence of nuclear factor-κB inhibition on endothelin-1 induced lung edemaand oxidative stress in rats,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 183–188, 2011.
- A. Wullaert, G. van Loo, K. Heyninck, and R. Beyaert, “Hepatic tumor necrosis factor signaling and nuclear factor-κB: effects on liver homeostasis and beyond,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 365–386, 2007.
- M. Karin, “Nuclear factor-κB in cancer development and progression,” Nature, vol. 441, no. 7092, pp. 431–436, 2006.
- H. Nakagawa, Y. Hirata, K. Takeda et al., “Apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1 inhibits hepatocarcinogenesis by controlling the tumor-suppressing function of stress-activated mitogen-activated protein kinase,” Hepatology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 185–195, 2011.