- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 454328, 11 pages
Gamma-Tocotrienol Modulated Gene Expression in Senescent Human Diploid Fibroblasts as Revealed by Microarray Analysis
1Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 14 December 2012; Revised 13 February 2013; Accepted 13 February 2013
Academic Editor: Narasimham L. Parinandi
Copyright © 2013 Suzana Makpol et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. P. Trougakos, A. Saridaki, G. Panayotou, and E. S. Gonos, “Identification of differentially expressed proteins in senescent human embryonic fibroblasts,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 88–92, 2006.
- T. B. Kirkwood, “Evolution of ageing,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 123, no. 7, pp. 737–745, 2002.
- I. K. Yoon, H. K. Kim, Y. K. Kim et al., “Exploration of replicative senescence-associated genes in human dermal fibroblasts by cDNA microarray technology,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1369–1378, 2004.
- B. Braam, M. Langelaar-Makkinje, A. Verkleij et al., “Anti-oxidant sensitivity of donor age-related gene expression in cultured fibroblasts,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 542, no. 1–3, pp. 154–161, 2006.
- S. Makpol, L. W. Durani, K. H. Chua, Y. A. Mohd Yusof, and W. Z. Wan Ngah, “Tocotrienol-rich fraction prevents cell cycle arrest and elongates telomere length in senescent human diploid fibroblasts,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 506171, 2011.
- H. Zhang, K. H. Pan, and S. N. Cohen, “Senescence-specific gene expression fingerprints reveal cell-type-dependent physical clustering of up-regulated chromosomal loci,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 3251–3256, 2003.
- M. L. Failla, “Trace elements and host defense: recent advances and continuing challenges,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 5, supplement 1, pp. 1443S–1447S, 2003.
- J. M. Zingg, R. Libinaki, C. Q. Lai et al., “Modulation of gene expression by α-tocopherol and α-tocopheryl phosphate in THP-1 monocytes,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 1989–2000, 2010.
- Y. K. Nakamura and S. T. Omaye, “Vitamin E-modulated gene expression associated with ROS generation,” Journal of Functional Foods, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 241–252, 2009.
- C. K. Sen, S. Khanna, and S. Roy, “Tocotrienols in health and disease: the other half of the natural vitamin E family,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 28, no. 5-6, pp. 692–728, 2007.
- J. P. Kamat and T. P. A. Devasagayam, “Tocotrienols from palm oil as potent inhibitors of lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in rat brain mitochondria,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 195, no. 3, pp. 179–182, 1995.
- A. A. Qureshi, B. A. Bradlow, W. A. Salser, and L. D. Brace, “Novel tocotrienols of rice bran modulate cardiovascular disease risk parameters of hypercholesterolomic humans,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 290–298, 1997.
- S. Makpol, A. Z. Abidin, K. Sairin, M. Mazlan, G. M. Top, and W. Z. W. Ngah, “γ-tocotrienol prevents oxidative stress-induced telomere shortening in human fibroblasts derived from different aged individuals,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 2010.
- S. Makpol, A. Zainuddin, K. H. Chua, Y. A. M. Yusof, and W. Z. W. Ngah, “Gamma-tocotrienol modulation of senescence-associated gene expression prevents cellular aging in human diploid fibroblasts,” Clinics, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 135–143, 2012.
- S. Flannery and A. G. Bowie, “The interleukin-1 receptor-associated kinases: critical regulators of innate immune signalling,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 80, no. 12, pp. 1981–1991, 2010.
- C. Franceschi, M. Bonafè, S. Valensin et al., “Inflamm-aging. An evolutionary perspective on immunosenescence,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 908, pp. 244–254, 2000.
- H. Y. Chung, M. Cesari, S. Anton et al., “Molecular inflammation: underpinnings of aging and age-related diseases,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 18–30, 2009.
- S. Du, H. Liu, and K. Huang, “Influence of SelS gene silence on β-Mercaptoethanol-mediated endoplasmic reticulum stress and cell apoptosis in HepG2 cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1800, no. 5, pp. 511–517, 2010.
- Z. R. Stoytcheva and M. J. Berry, “Transcriptional regulation of mammalian selenoprotein expression,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1790, no. 11, pp. 1429–1440, 2009.
- Y. Gao, N. R. F. Hannan, S. Wanyonyi et al., “Activation of the selenoprotein SEPS1 gene expression by pro-inflammatory cytokines in HepG2 cells,” Cytokine, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 246–251, 2006.
- S. W. Kim, M. Hayashi, J. F. Lo, Y. Yang, J. S. Yoo, and J. D. Lee, “ADP-ribosylation factor 4 small GTPase mediates epidermal growth factor receptor-dependent phospholipase D2 activation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 4, pp. 2661–2668, 2003.
- I. S. Woo, S. Y. Eun, H. S. Jang et al., “Identification of ADP-ribosylation factor 4 as a suppressor of N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)retinamide-induced cell death,” Cancer Letters, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. 53–60, 2009.
- Y. Y. Lee, K. T. K. Wong, J. Tan et al., “Overexpression of heat shock proteins (HSPs) in CHO cells for extended culture viability and improved recombinant protein production,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 34–43, 2009.
- C. Garrido, S. Gurbuxani, L. Ravagnan, and G. Kroemer, “Heat shock proteins: endogenous modulators of apoptotic cell death,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 286, no. 3, pp. 433–442, 2001.
- S. L. Chan, W. Fu, P. Zhang et al., “Herp stabilizes neuronal Ca2+ homeostasis and mitochondrial function during endoplasmic reticulum stress,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 27, pp. 28733–28743, 2004.
- M. Ott, V. Gogvadze, S. Orrenius, and B. Zhivotovsky, “Mitochondria, oxidative stress and cell death,” Apoptosis, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 913–922, 2007.
- Y. Lavrovsky, B. Chatterjee, R. A. Clark, and A. K. Roy, “Role of redox-regulated transcription factors in inflammation, aging and age-related diseases,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 521–532, 2000.
- J. L. Martindale and N. J. Holbrook, “Cellular response to oxidative stress: signaling for suicide and survival,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 192, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2002.
- M. T. Rodríguez-Manzaneque, J. Tamarit, G. Bellí, J. Ros, and E. Herrero, “Grx5 is a mitochondrial glutaredoxin required for the activity of iron/sulfur enzymes,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1109–1121, 2002.
- G. R. Linares, W. Xing, K. E. Govoni, S. T. Chen, and S. Mohan, “Glutaredoxin 5 regulates osteoblast apoptosis by protecting against oxidative stress,” Bone, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 795–804, 2009.