- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 481392, 10 pages
Pegylated G-CSF Inhibits Blood Cell Depletion, Increases Platelets, Blocks Splenomegaly, and Improves Survival after Whole-Body Ionizing Irradiation but Not after Irradiation Combined with Burn
1Radiation Combined Injury Program, Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
2Department of Radiation Biology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
3Department of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Received 18 November 2013; Accepted 22 January 2014; Published 5 March 2014
Academic Editor: Pranela Rameshwar
Copyright © 2014 Juliann G. Kiang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. G. Kiang, B. R. Garrison, T. M. Burns et al., “Wound trauma alters ionizing radiation dose assessment,” Cell and Bioscience, vol. 2, no. 1, article 20, 12 pages, 2012.
- J. G. Kiang, B. R. Garrison, R. Fukumoto, and T. B. Elliott, “Ciprofloxacin inhibits gamma radiation-induced increases in γ-H2AX, p53 phosphorylation in human tumor cells and p53 phosphorylation, Gadd45a, bax, and Bcl-2 gene expression in human peripheral blood cells,” in Proceedings of the 56th Radiation Research Society Annual Meeting, p. 188, Maui, Hawaii, USA, September 2010.
- R. Fukumoto and J. G. Kiang, “Geldanamycin analog 17-DMAG limits apoptosis in human peripheral blood cells by inhibition of p53 activation and its interaction with heat-shock protein 90 kDa after exposure to ionizing radiation,” Radiation Research, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 333–345, 2011.
- R. Fukumoto, L. H. Cary, N. V. Gorbunov, T. B. Elliott, and J. G. Kiang, “Ciprofloxacin modulates cytokine profiles, accelerates bone marrow recovery and mitigates ileum injury after radiation combined with wound trauma,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 3, Article ID e58389, 11 pages, 2013.
- G. D. Ledney and T. B. Elliott, “Combined injury: factors with potential to impact radiation dose assessments,” Health Physics, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 145–152, 2010.
- J. G. Kiang and G. D. Ledney, “Skin injuries reduce survival and modulate corticosterone, C-reactive protein, complement component 3, IgM, and prostaglandin E2 after whole-body reactor-produced mixed field (n + γ-photons) irradiation,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2013, Article ID 821541, 10 pages, 2013.
- J. G. Kiang, W. Jiao, L. H. Cary et al., “Wound trauma increases radiation-induced mortality by activation of iNOS pathway and elevation of cytokine concentrations and bacterial infection,” Radiation Research, vol. 173, no. 3, pp. 319–332, 2010.
- M. E. Berger, D. M. Christensen, P. C. Lowry, O. W. Jones, and A. L. Wiley, “Medical management of radiation injuries: current approaches,” Occupational Medicine, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 162–172, 2006.
- J. K. Waselenko, T. J. MacVittie, W. F. Blakely et al., “Medical management of the acute radiation syndrome: recommendations of the strategic national stockpile radiation working group,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 12, pp. 1037–1051, 2004.
- G. Molineux, “The design and development of pegfilgrastim (PEG-rmetHuG-CSF, Neulasta),” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1235–1244, 2004.
- D. Metcalf, “The role of the colony-stimulating factors in the treatment of infections,” in Frontiers of Infectious Diseases: New Antibacterial Strategies: Proceedings of an International Symposium Sponsored by Glaxo Research, Brocker Hall, Hertfordshire 30 June-3 July 1990, H. C. Neu, Ed., Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- D. Metcalf, “Hematopoietic cytokines,” Blood, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 485–491, 2008.
- E. V. Badiavas, M. Abedi, J. Butmarc, V. Falanga, and P. Quesenberry, “Participation of bone marrow derived cells in cutaneous wound healing,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 196, no. 2, pp. 245–250, 2003.
- J. M. Bertho, N. M. Griffiths, and P. Gourmelon, “The medical diagnosis and treatment of radiation overexposed people,” 2003, http://irpa11.irpa.net/pdfs/RC-7a.pdf.
- C. A. Montgomery, “Oncologic and toxicologic research: alleviation and control of pain and distress in laboratory animals,” Cancer Bulletin, vol. 42, pp. 230–237, 1990.
- S. P. Tomasivic, L. G. Coghlan, K. N. Gray, A. J. Mastromarino, and E. L. Travis, “IACUC evaluation of experiments requiring death as an end point: a cancer center's recommendations,” Lab Animal, pp. 31–34, 1988.
- International Standardization Organization and ASTM International, Standard Practice for Use of an Alanine-EPR Dosimetry System, Standard 51607:2004(E), ISO, Geneva, Switzerland; ASTM International, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA, 2004.
- B. I. Lord, L. B. Woolford, and G. Molineux, “Kinetics of neutrophil production in normal and neutropenic animals during the response to filgrastim (r-metHu G-CSF) or filgrastim SD/01 (PEG-r-metHu G-CSF),” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 2085–2090, 2001.
- A. B. van Spriel, I. E. van den Herik-Oudijk, and J. G. J. van de Winkel, “A single injection of polyethylene-glycol granulocyte colony-stimulating factor strongly prolongs survival of mice with systemic candidiasis,” Cytokine, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 666–670, 2000.
- K. J. Neelis, S. C. C. Hartong, T. Egeland, G. R. Thomas, D. L. Eaton, and G. Wagemaker, “The efficacy of single-dose administration of thrombopoietin with coadministration of either granulocyte/macrophage or granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in myelosuppressed rhesus monkeys,” Blood, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 2565–2573, 1997.
- E. L. Alpen and G. E. Sheline, “The combined effects of thermal burns and whole-body X-radiation on survival time and mortality,” Annuls of Surgery, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 113–118, 1954.
- F. A. Valeriote and D. G. Baker, “The combined effects of thermal trauma and X-irradiation on early,” Radiation Research, vol. 22, pp. 693–702, 1964.
- B. Korlof, “Infection of burns. I. A bacteriological and clinical study of 99 cases. II. Animal experiments: burns and total body x-irradiation,” Acta Chirurgica Scandinavica, Supplementum, vol. 209, pp. 1–144, 1956.
- J. W. Brooks, E. I. Evans, W. T. Ham Jr., and J. D. Reid, “The influence of external body radiation on mortality from thermal burns,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 533–545, 1952.
- H. Baxter, J. A. Drummond, L. G. Stephens-Newsham, and R. G. Randall, “Studies on acute total body irradiation in animals. I. Effect of streptomycin following exposure to a thermal burn and irradiation,” Plastic Reconstruction Surgery, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 439–445, 1953.
- G. D. Ledney, T. B. Elliott, and M. M. Moore, “Modulations of mortality by tissue trauma and sepsis in mice after radiation injury,” in The Biological Basis of Radiation Protection Practice, K. L. Mossman and W. A. Mills, Eds., pp. 202–217, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 1992.
- G. D. Ledney, D. A. Stewart, E. D. Exum, and P. A. Sheehy, “Skin wound-enhanced survival and myelocytopoiesis in mice after whole-body irradiation,” Acta Radiologica: Oncology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 1981.
- J. L. Palmer, C. R. Deburghgraeve, M. D. Bird, M. Hauer-Jensen, and E. J. Kovacs, “Development of a combined radiation and burn injury model,” Journal of Burn Care and Research, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 317–323, 2011.
- A. Jacob, K. G. Shah, R. Wu, and P. Wang, “Ghrelin as a novel therapy for radiation combined injury,” Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 3-4, pp. 137–143, 2010.
- Z. Zou, H. Sun, Y. Su, T. Cheng, and C. Luo, “Progress in research on radiation combined injury in China,” Radiation Research, vol. 169, no. 6, pp. 722–729, 2008.
- K. L. Koenig, R. E. Goans, R. J. Hatchett et al., “Medical treatment of radiological casualties: current concepts,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 643–652, 2005.
- Z. Lausevic, M. Lausevic, J. Trbojevic-Stankovic, S. Krstic, and B. Stojimirovic, “Predicting multiple organ failure in patients with severe trauma,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 97–102, 2008.
- T. J. MacVittie, A. M. Farese, and W. Jackson III, “Defining the full therapeutic potential of recombinant growth factors in the post radiation-accident environment: the effect of supportive care plus administration of G-CSF,” Health Physics, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 546–555, 2005.
- V. K. Singh, O. O. Fatanmi, P. K. Singh, and M. H. Whitnall, “Role of radiation-induced granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in recovery from whole body gamma-irradiation,” Cytokine, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 406–414, 2012.
- M. Scholz, M. Ackermann, C. Engel, F. Emmrich, M. Loeffler, and M. Kamprad, “A pharmacokinetic model of filgrastim and pegfilgrastim application in normal mice and those with cyclophosphamide-induced granulocytopaenia,” Cell Proliferation, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 813–822, 2009.
- T. Chen, K. A. Burke, Y. Zhan, X. Wang, D. Shibata, and Y. Zhao, “IL-12 facilitates both the recovery of endogenous hematopoiesis and the engraftment of stem cells after ionizing radiation,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 203–213, 2007.
- S. Millot, V. Andrieu, P. Letteron et al., “Erythropoietin stimulates spleen BMP4-dependent stress erythropoiesis and partially corrects anemia in a mouse model of generalized inflammation,” Blood, vol. 116, no. 26, pp. 6072–6081, 2010.
- J. A. Russell, “Management of sepsis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 16, pp. 1699–1713, 2006.
- M. Perl, C. Chung, R. Swan, and A. Ayala, “Role of programmed cell death in the immunopathogenesis of sepsis,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 223–230, 2007.
- N. V. Gorbunov, B. R. Garrison, D. P. McDaniel et al., “Adaptive redox response of mesenchymal stromal cells to stimulation with lipopolysaccharide inflammagen: mechanisms of remodeling of tissue barriers in sepsis,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2013, Article ID 186795, 16 pages, 2013.