- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 128360, 9 pages
An NTCP Analysis of Urethral Complications from Low Doserate Mono- and Bi-Radionuclide Brachytherapy
1NAmur Research Institute for LIfe Sciences (NARILIS), Research Center for the Physics of Matter and Radiation (PMR-LARN), University of Namur (FUNDP), Rue de Bruxelles, 61, 5000 Namur, Belgium
2Department of Physics, Clatterbridge Center for Oncology, Clatterbridge Road Bebington, Merseyside CH63 4JY, UK
Received 13 January 2011; Accepted 2 May 2011
Academic Editor: M. J. Zelefsky
Copyright © 2011 V. E. Nuttens et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Zaider, M. J. Zelefsky, G. N. Cohen et al., “Methodology for biologically-based treatment planning for combined low-dose-rate (permanent implant) and high-dose-rate (fractionated) treatment of prostate cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 702–713, 2005.
- R. G. Dale and B. Jones, Radiobiological Modelling in Radiation Oncology, British Institute of Radiology, London, UK, 2007.
- A. Niemierko and M. Goitein, “Implementation of a model for estimating tumor control probability for an inhomogeneously irradiated tumor,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 140–147, 1993.
- S. Webb and A. E. Nahum, “A model for calculating tumour control probability in radiotherapy including the effects of inhomogeneous distributions of dose and clonogenic cell density,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 653–666, 1993.
- B. Sanchez-Nieto and A. E. Nahum, “Bioplan: software for the biological evaluation of radiotherapy treatment plans,” Medical Dosimetry, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 71–76, 2000.
- A. Niemierko, M. Urie, and M. Goitein, “Optimization of 3D radiation therapy with both physical and biological end points and constraints,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 99–108, 1992.
- Y. Kim and W. A. Tomé, “Risk-adaptive optimization: selective boosting of high-risk tumor subvolumes,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 1528–1542, 2006.
- Z. Malik, C. Eswar, J. Dobson, J. Fenwick, and A. Nahum, “Iso-NTCP customization of the prescription dose in lung-tumour radiotherapy,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 84, pp. S278–S279, 2007.
- A. Haworth, M. Ebert, D. Waterhouse, D. Joseph, and G. Duchesne, “Assessment of i-125 prostate implants by tumor bioeffect,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1405–1413, 2004.
- A. Haworth, M. Ebert, D. Waterhouse, D. Joseph, and G. Duchesne, “Prostate implant evaluation using tumour control probability—the effect of input parameters,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 16, pp. 3649–3664, 2004.
- W. D. D'Souza, H. D. Thames, and D. A. Kuban, “Dose-volume conundrum for response of prostate cancer to brachytherapy: summary dosimetric measures and their relationship to tumor control probability,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 1540–1548, 2004.
- M. Zaider, “Permanent-implant brachytherapy in prostate cancer,” in New Technologies in Radiation Oncology, pp. 379–388, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- S. Mallick, R. Azzouzi, L. Cormier, D. Peiffert, and PH. Mangin, “Urinary morbidity after I brachytherapy of the prostate,” BJU International, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 555–558, 2003.
- Z. A. Allen, G. S. Merrick, W. M. Butler et al., “Detailed urethral dosimetry in the evaluation of prostate brachytherapy-related urinary morbidity,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 981–987, 2005.
- M. Neill, G. Studer, L. Le et al., “The nature and extent of urinary morbidity in relation to prostate brachytherapy urethral dosimetry,” Brachytherapy, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 173–179, 2007.
- J. Crook, N. Fleshner, C. Roberts, and G. Pond, “Long-term urinary sequelae following iodine prostate brachytherapy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. 141–146, 2008.
- T. Ohashi, A. Yorozu, K. Toya, S. Saito, and T. Momma, “Acute urinary morbidity following I-125 prostate brachytherapy,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 262–268, 2005.
- S. A. Shah, R. R. Cima, E. Benoit, E. L. Breen, and R. Bleday, “Rectal complications after prostate brachytherapy,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 1487–1492, 2004.
- J. N. Shah and R. D. Ennis, “Rectal toxicity profile after transperineal interstitial permanent prostate brachytherapy: use of a comprehensive toxicity scoring system and identification of rectal dosimetric toxicity predictors,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 817–824, 2006.
- F. M. Waterman and A. P. Dicker, “Probability of late rectal morbidity in I prostate brachytherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 342–353, 2003.
- T. Ohashi, A. Yorozu, K. Toya et al., “Rectal morbidity following I-125 prostate brachytherapy in relation to dosimetry,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 121–126, 2007.
- B. R. Prestidge, W. S. Bice, I. Jurkovic, E. Walker, S. Marianne, and A. Sadeghi, “Cesium-131 permanent prostate brachytherapy: an initial report,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 63, pp. S336–S337, 2005.
- V. E. Nuttens and S. Lucas, “AAPM TG-43U1 formalism adaptation and Monte Carlo dosimetry simulations of multiple-radionuclide brachytherapy sources,” Medical Physics, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 1101–1107, 2006.
- V. E. Nuttens and S. Lucas, “Determination of the prescription dose for bi-radionuclide permanent prostate brachytherapy,” Medical Physics, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 5451–5462, 2008.
- R. G. Dale and B. Jones, “The clinical radiobiology of brachytherapy,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 71, pp. 465–483, 1998.
- J. Z. Wang, N. A. Mayr, S. Nag et al., “Effect of edema, relative biological effectiveness, and dose heterogeneity on prostate brachytherapy,” Medical Physics, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 1025–1032, 2006.
- V. Antipas, R. G. Dale, and I. P. Coles, “A theoretical investigation into the role of tumour radiosensitivity, clonogen repopulation, tumour shrinkage and radionuclide RBE in permanent brachytherapy implants of I and Pd,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 2557–2569, 2001.
- M. J. Zelefsky, Y. Yamada, G. N. Cohen et al., “Five-year outcome of intraoperative conformal permanent I-125 interstitial implantation for patients with clinically localized prostate cancer,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 65–70, 2007.