- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 452795, 8 pages
Expression of Neutral Endopeptidase, Endothelin-1, and Nuclear Factor Kappa B in Prostate Cancer: Interrelations and Associations with Prostate-Specific Antigen Recurrence after Radical Prostatectomy
1Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Larissa, University of Thessaly School of Medicine, 41110 Larissa, Greece
2Department of Pathology, University Hospital of Larissa, University of Thessaly School of Medicine, 41110 Larissa, Greece
3Department of Urology, University Hospital of Larissa, University of Thessaly School of Medicine, 41110 Larissa, Greece
4Department of Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif, France
5Centre Pluridisciplinaire d'Oncologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1101Lausanne, Switzerland
6Department of Biomathematics, University of Thessaly School of Medicine, 41222 Larissa, Greece
7Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Tufts Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Received 30 January 2012; Accepted 27 February 2012
Academic Editor: Fazlul H. Sarkar
Copyright © 2012 Panagiotis J. Vlachostergios et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Nelson, S. P. Hedican, D. J. George et al., “Identification of endothelin-1 in the pathophysiology of metastatic adenocarcinoma of the prostate,” Nature Medicine, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 944–949, 1995.
- J. B. Nelson, K. Chan-Tack, S. P. Hedican et al., “Endothelin-1 production and decreased endothelin b receptor expression in advanced prostate cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 663–668, 1996.
- E. S. Grant, T. Brown, A. Roach, B. C. Williams, and F. K. Habib, “In vitro expression of endothelin-1 (ET-1) and the and et receptors by the prostatic epithelium and stroma,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 508–513, 1997.
- A. Y. Liu, L. LaTray, and G. van Den Engh, “Changes in cell surface molecules associated with in vitro culture of prostatic stromal cells,” Prostate, vol. 44, pp. 303–312, 2000.
- B. A. Usmani, B. Harden, N. J. Maitland, and A. J. Turner, “Differential expression of neutral endopeptidase-24.11 (neprilysin) and endothelin-converting enzyme in human prostate cancer cell lines,” Clinical Science, vol. 103, no. 48, pp. 314S–317S, 2002.
- C. N. Papandreou, B. Usmani, Y. Geng et al., “Neutral endopeptidase 24.11 loss in metastatic human prostate cancer contributes to androgen-independent progression,” Nature Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 50–57, 1998.
- S. Huang, C. A. Pettaway, H. Uehara, C. D. Bucana, and I. J. Fidler, “Blockade of NF-κB activity in human prostate cancer cells is associated with suppression of angiogenesis, invasion, and metastasis,” Oncogene, vol. 20, no. 31, pp. 4188–4197, 2001.
- C. D. Chen and C. L. Sawyers, “NF-κB activates prostate-specific antigen expression and is upregulated in androgen-independent prostate cancer,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 2862–2870, 2002.
- C. Sweeney, L. Li, R. Shanmugam et al., “Nuclear factor-κB is constitutively activated in prostate cancer in vitro and is overexpressed in prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and adenocarcinoma of the prostate,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 16, pp. 5501–5507, 2004.
- J. I. Epstein, M. Amin, L. Boccon-Gibod, et al., “Prognostic factors and reporting of prostate carcinoma in radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy specimens,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology Supplement, vol. 216, pp. 34–63, 2005.
- G. Godara, S. Pecher, D. M. Jukic et al., “Distinct patterns of endothelin axis expression in primary prostate cancer,” Urology, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 209–215, 2007.
- R. Rosenblatt, A. Valdman, L. Cheng, et al., “Endothelin-1 expression in prostate cancer and high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia,” Analytical & Quantitative Cytology & Histology, vol. 31, pp. 137–142, 2009.
- K. Gohji, S. Kitazawa, H. Tamada, Y. Katsuoka, and M. Nakajima, “Expression of endothelin receptor a associated with prostate cancer progression,” Journal of Urology, vol. 165, no. 3, pp. 1033–1036, 2001.
- R. Montironi, R. Mazzucchelli, F. Barbisan et al., “Immunohistochemical expression of endothelin-1 and endothelin-A and endothelin-B receptors in high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and prostate cancer,” European Urology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1682–1690, 2007.
- S. J. Freedland, D. B. Seligson, A. Y. Liu et al., “Loss of cd10 (neutral endopeptidase) is a frequent and early event in human prostate cancer,” Prostate, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 71–80, 2003.
- I. Osman, H. Yee, S. S. Taneja et al., “Neutral endopeptidase protein expression and prognosis in localized prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 4096–4100, 2004.
- M. A. Dall'Era, L. D. True, A. F. Siegel, M. P. Porter, T. M. Sherertz, and A. Y. Liu, “Differential expression of cd10 in prostate cancer and its clinical implication,” Bmc Urology, vol. 7, article no. 3, 2007.
- A. Fieischmann, T. Schlomm, H. Huland et al., “Distinct subcellular expression patterns of neutral endopeptidase (cd10) in prostate cancer predict diverging clinical courses in surgically treated patients,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 23, pp. 7838–7842, 2008.
- M. Sumitomo, R. Shen, and D. M. Nanus, “Involvement of neutral endopeptidase in neoplastic progression,” Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1751, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2005.
- A. Patrikidou, P. J. Vlachostergios, I. A. Voutsadakis et al., “Inverse baseline expression pattern of the nep/neuropeptides and nfκb/proteasome pathways in androgen-dependent and androgen-independent prostate cancer cells,” Cancer Cell International, vol. 11, article no. 13, 2011.
- T. J. McDonnell, N. S. Chari, J. H. Cho-Vega, and al. et, “Biomarker expression patterns that correlate with high grade features in treatment naive, organ-confined prostate cancer,” BMC Medical Genomics, vol. 1, article 1, 2008.
- C. Nuñez, J. R. Cansino, F. Bethencourt et al., “Tnf/il-1/nik/nf-κb transduction pathway: a comparative study in normal and pathological human prostate (benign hyperplasia and carcinoma),” Histopathology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 166–176, 2008.
- L. Lessard, A. M. Mes-Masson, L. Lamarre, L. Wall, J. B. Lattouf, and F. Saad, “Nf-κb nuclear localization and its prognostic significance in prostate cancer,” Bju International, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 417–420, 2003.
- V. Fradet, L. Lessard, L. R. Bégin, P. Karakiewicz, A. M. Mes Masson, and F. Saad, “Nuclear factor-κB nuclear localization is predictive of biochemical recurrence in patients with positive margin prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 24, pp. 8460–8464, 2004.
- L. Lessard, P. I. Karakiewicz, P. Bellon-Gagnon et al., “Nuclear localization of nuclear factor-κB p65 in primary prostate tumors is highly predictive of pelvic lymph node metastases,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 19, pp. 5741–5745, 2006.
- J. S. Ross, B. V. S. Kallakury, C. E. Sheehan et al., “Expression of nuclear factor-κb and iκbα proteins in prostatic adenocarcinomas: correlation of nuclear factor-κB immunoreactivity with disease recurrence,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 2466–2472, 2004.
- J. Domingo-Domenech, B. Mellado, B. Ferrer et al., “Activation of nuclear factor-κB in human prostate carcinogenesis and association to biochemical relapse,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 1285–1294, 2005.
- I. Osman, J. Dai, M. Mikhail et al., “Loss of neutral endopeptidase and activation of protein kinase B (Akt) is associated with prostate cancer progression,” Cancer, vol. 107, no. 11, pp. 2628–2636, 2006.
- L. Levine, J. A. Lucci, B. Pazdrak et al., “Bombesin stimulates nuclear factor κb activation and expression of proangiogenic factors in prostate cancer cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 13, pp. 3495–3502, 2003.
- A. J. Evans, P. C. Henry, T. H. Van Der Kwast et al., “Interobserver variability between expert urologic pathologists for extraprostatic extension and surgical margin status in radical prostatectomy specimens,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1503–1512, 2008.
- G. Ploussard, M. A. Agamy, O. Alenda et al., “Impact of positive surgical margins on prostate-specific antigen failure after radical prostatectomy in adjuvant treatment-naïve patients,” Bju International, vol. 107, no. 11, pp. 1748–1754, 2011.