- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 524206, 4 pages
Vitamin D Levels in Subjects with Prostate Cancer Compared to Age-Matched Controls
1Department of Endocrinology, Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, NY 12208, USA
2IT Department, Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, NY 12208, USA
3Department of Research, Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Received 19 October 2012; Revised 25 November 2012; Accepted 27 November 2012
Academic Editor: Manfred P. Wirth
Copyright © 2012 Subhashini Yaturu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Holick, “Medical progress: vitamin D deficiency,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 3, pp. 266–281, 2007.
- R. Nair and A. Maseeh, “Vitamin D: the “sunshine” vitamin,” Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 118–126, 2012.
- M. L. Melamed, E. D. Michos, W. Post, and B. Astor, “25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and the risk of mortality in the general population,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 15, pp. 1629–1637, 2008.
- S. Gandini, M. Boniol, J. Haukka et al., “Meta-analysis of observational studies of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and colorectal, breast and prostate cancer and colorectal adenoma,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 128, no. 6, pp. 1414–1424, 2011.
- L. Yin, E. Raum, U. Haug, V. Arndt, and H. Brenner, “Meta-analysis of longitudinal studies: serum vitamin D and prostate cancer risk,” Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 435–445, 2009.
- R. Gilbert, R. M. Martin, R. Beynon et al., “Associations of circulating and dietary vitamin D with prostate cancer risk: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 319–340, 2011.
- S. Raimondi, H. Johansson, P. Maisonneuve, and S. Gandini, “Review and meta-analysis on vitamin D receptor polymorphisms and cancer risk,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1170–1180, 2009.
- J. Ahn, U. Peters, D. Albanes et al., “Serum vitamin D concentration and prostate cancer risk: a nested case-control study,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 11, pp. 796–804, 2008.
- M. Tseng, V. Giri, D. Watkins-Bruner, and E. Giovannucci, “Dairy intake and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D levels in men at high risk for prostate cancer,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1947–1954, 2009.
- J. Brändstedt, M. Almquist, J. Manjer, and J. Malm, “Vitamin D, PTH, and calcium and the risk of prostate cancer: a prospective nested case-control study,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1377–1385, 2012.
- A. Cranney, T. Horsley, S. O'Donnell et al., “Effectiveness and safety of vitamin D in relation to bone health,” Evidence Report/Technology Assessment, no. 158, pp. 1–235, 2007.
- R. P. Heaney, L. A. G. Armas, J. R. Shary, N. H. Bell, N. Binkley, and B. W. Hollis, “25-Hydroxylation of vitamin D3: relation to circulating vitamin D3 under various input conditions,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1738–1742, 2008.
- M. W. J. Davie, D. E. M. Lawson, and C. Emberson, “Vitamin D from skin: contribution to vitamin D status compared with oral vitamin D in normal and anticonvulsant-treated subjects,” Clinical Science, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 461–472, 1982.
- A. Timpini, L. Pini, C. Tantucci, S. Cossi, and V. Grassi, “Vitamin D and health status in elderly,” Internal and Emergency Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 11–21, 2011.
- A. Jungert, H. J. Roth, and M. Neuhauser-Berthold, “Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and body composition in an elderly cohort from Germany: a cross-sectional study,” Nutrition & Metabolism, vol. 9, article 42, 2012.
- C. Halthur, A. L. V. Johansson, M. Almquist et al., “Serum calcium and the risk of prostate cancer,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1205–1214, 2009.
- E. Giovannucci, D. M. Harlan, M. C. Archer et al., “Diabetes and cancer: a consensus report,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1674–1685, 2010.
- B. R. Shastri and S. Yaturu, “Metabolic complications and increased cardiovascular risks as a result of androgen deprivation therapy in men with prostate cancer,” Prostate Cancer, vol. 2011, Article ID 391576, 9 pages, 2011.
- I. H. Derweesh, C. J. DiBlasio, M. C. Kincade et al., “Risk of new-onset diabetes mellitus and worsening glycaemic variables for established diabetes in men undergoing androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer,” BJU International, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 1060–1065, 2007.
- H. S. Kim, J. C. Presti, W. J. Aronson et al., “Glycemic control and prostate cancer progression: results from the SEARCH database,” Prostate, vol. 70, no. 14, pp. 1540–1546, 2010.
- S. K. Hong, S. T. Lee, S. S. Kim et al., “Significance of preoperative HbA1c level in patients with diabetes mellitus and clinically localized prostate cancer,” Prostate, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 820–826, 2009.
- M. Datta and G. G. Schwartz, “Calcium and vitamin d supplementation during androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer: a critical review,” Oncologist, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1171–1179, 2012.
- S. Yaturu, S. DjeDjos, G. Alferos, and C. Deprisco, “Bone mineral density changes on androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer and response to antiresorptive therapy,” Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 35–38, 2006.