- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 543970, 13 pages
Growth and Progression of TRAMP Prostate Tumors in Relationship to Diet and Obesity
1The Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, Austin, MN 55912, USA
2Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Received 12 June 2012; Revised 24 October 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editor: J. W. Moul
Copyright © 2012 Melissa J. L. Bonorden et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. W. L. Ma and K. Chapman, “A systematic review of the effect of diet in prostate cancer prevention and treatment,” Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 187–199, 2009.
- J. M. Chan, P. H. Gann, and E. L. Giovannucci, “Role of diet in prostate cancer development and progression,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 32, pp. 8152–8160, 2005.
- H. Grönberg, L. Damber, and J. E. Damber, “Total food consumption and body mass index in relation to prostate cancer risk: a case-control study in Sweden with prospectively collected exposure data,” Journal of Urology, vol. 155, no. 3, pp. 969–974, 1996.
- S. D. Putnam, J. R. Cerhan, A. S. Parker et al., “Lifestyle and anthropometric risk factors for prostate cancer in a cohort of Iowa men,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 361–369, 2000.
- M. B. Veierød, P. Laake, and D. S. Thelle, “Dietary fat intake and risk of prostate cancer: a prospective study of 25,708 Norwegian men,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 634–638, 1997.
- D. A. Snowdon, R. L. Phillips, and W. Choi, “Diet, obesity, and risk of fatal prostate cancer,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 244–250, 1984.
- E. A. Lew and L. Garfinkel, “Variations in mortality by weight among 750,000 men and women,” Journal of Chronic Diseases, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 563–576, 1979.
- A. G. Schuurman, R. A. Goldbohm, E. Dorant, and P. A. Van Den Brandt, “Anthropometry in relation to prostate cancer risk in the Netherlands Cohort Study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 151, no. 6, pp. 541–549, 2000.
- A. Engeland, S. Tretli, and T. Bjørge, “Height, body mass index, and prostate cancer: a follow-up of 950 000 Norwegian men,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 1237–1242, 2003.
- J. R. Cerhan, J. C. Torner, C. F. Lynch et al., “Association of smoking, body mass, and physical activity with risk of prostate cancer in the Iowa 65+ Rural Health Study (United States),” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 229–238, 1997.
- A. Bergström, P. Pisani, V. Tenet, A. Wolk, and H.-O. Adami, “Overweight as an avoidable cause of cancer in Europe,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 421–430, 2001.
- G. Ploussard, A. de la Taille, Y. Bayoud et al., “The risk of upstaged disease increases with body mass index in low-risk prostate cancer patients eligible for active surveillance,” European Urology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 356–362, 2012.
- C. D. Nunzio, S. Freedland, L. Miano, E. F. Agrò, L. Bañez, and A. Tubaro, “The uncertain relationship between obesity and prostate cancer: an Italian biopsy cohort analysis,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1025–1029, 2011.
- U. Capitanio, N. Suardi, A. Briganti et al., “Influence of obesity on tumour volume in patients with prostate cancer,” BJU International, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 678–684, 2012.
- R. P. Kopp, M. Han, A. W. Partin, E. Humphreys, S. J. Freedland, and J. K. Parsons, “Obesity and prostate enlargement in men with localized prostate cancer,” BJU International, vol. 108, no. 11, pp. 1750–1755, 2011.
- C. L. Amling, R. H. Riffenburgh, L. Sun et al., “Pathologic variables and recurrence rates as related to obesity and race in men with prostate cancer undergoing radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 439–445, 2004.
- T. Zilli, T. V. Nguyen, J. P. Bahary, M. Chagnon, A. Dufresne, and D. Taussky, “Prognostic impact of abdominal adiposity, waist circumference and body mass index in patients with intermediate-risk prostate cancer treated with radiotherapy,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1421–1426, 2011.
- E. E. Calle, C. Rodriguez, K. Walker-Thurmond, and M. J. Thun, “Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. Adults,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1625–1638, 2003.
- Y. Cao and J. Ma, “Body mass index, prostate cancer-specific mortality, and biochemical recurrence: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 486–501, 2011.
- A. Discacciati, N. Orsini, and A. Wolk, “Body mass index and incidence of localized and advanced prostate cancer—a dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1665–1671, 2012.
- E. A. Turbat-Herrera, G. A. Herrera, I. Gore, R. L. Lott, W. E. Grizzle, and J. M. Bonnin, “Neuroendocrine differentiation in prostatic carcinomas. A retrospective autospy study,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 112, no. 11, pp. 1100–1105, 1988.
- P. A. Di Sant'Agnese, “Neuroendocrine differentiation in carcinoma of the prostate: diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic implications,” Cancer, vol. 70, supplement 1, pp. 254–268, 1992.
- J. Huang, J. L. Yao, P. A. Di Sant'Agnese, Q. Yang, P. A. Bourne, and Y. Na, “Immunohistochemical characterization of neuroendocrine cells in prostate cancer,” Prostate, vol. 66, no. 13, pp. 1399–1406, 2006.
- D. G. Bostwick, D. J. Grignon, M. E. H. Hammond et al., “Prognostic factors in prostate cancer: College of American Pathologists Consensus Statement 1999,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 124, no. 7, pp. 995–1000, 2000.
- M. H. Ather, F. Abbas, N. Faruqui, M. Israr, and S. Pervez, “Correlation of three immunohistochemically detected markers of neuroendocrine differentiation with clinical predictors of disease progression in prostate cancer,” BMC Urology, vol. 8, no. 1, article no. 21, 2008.
- D. J. Krauss, S. Hayek, M. Amin et al., “Prognostic significance of neuroendocrine differentiation in patients with Gleason score 8–10 prostate cancer treated with primary radiotherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. e119–e125, 2011.
- E. Heinrich, L. Trojan, D. Friedrich et al., “Neuroendocrine tumor cells in prostate cancer: evaluation of the neurosecretory products serotonin, bombesin, and gastrin–impact on angiogenesis and clinical follow-up,” Prostate, 2011.
- L. Wang, J. Zhang, Y. Zhang et al., “Lobe-specific lineages of carcinogenesis in the transgenic adenocarcinoma of mouse prostate and their responses to chemopreventive selenium,” Prostate, vol. 71, no. 13, pp. 1429–1440, 2011.
- L. Wang, M. J. L. Bonorden, G. X. Li et al., “Methyl-selenium compounds inhibit prostate carcinogenesis in the transgenic adenocarcinoma of mouse prostate model with survival benefit,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 484–495, 2009.
- N. M. Greenberg, F. DeMayo, M. J. Finegold, et al., “Prostate cancer in a transgenic mouse,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 3439–3443, 1995.
- J. R. Gingrich and N. M. Greenberg, “A transgenic mouse prostate cancer model,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 502–504, 1996.
- M. P. Cleary, J. P. Grande, S. C. Juneja, and N. J. Maihle, “Diet-induced obesity and mammary tumor development in MMTV-neu female mice,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 174–180, 2004.
- M. P. Cleary, J. P. Grande, and N. J. Maihle, “Effect of high fat diet on body weight and mammary tumor latency in MMTV-TGF-α mice,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 956–962, 2004.
- S. Dogan, X. Hu, Y. Zhang, N. J. Maihle, J. P. Grande, and M. P. Cleary, “Effects of high-fat diet and/or body weight on mammary tumor leptin and apoptosis signaling pathways in MMTV-TGF-alpha mice,” Breast Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 6, p. R91, 2007.
- A. Ray, K. J. Nkhata, J. P. Grande, and M. P. Cleary, “Diet-induced obesity and mammary tumor development in relation to estrogen receptor status,” Cancer Letters, vol. 253, no. 2, pp. 291–300, 2007.
- X. Xin, L. H. Storlien, and X. F. Huang, “Hypothalamic c-fos-like immunoreactivity in high-fat diet-induced obese and resistant mice,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 235–242, 2000.
- B. A. Foster, J. R. Gingrich, E. D. Kwon, C. Madias, and N. M. Greenberg, “Characterization of prostatic epithelial cell lines derived from transgenic adenocarcinoma of the mouse prostate (TRAMP) model,” Cancer Research, vol. 57, no. 16, pp. 3325–3330, 1997.
- T. M. Williams, G. S. Hassan, J. Li et al., “Caveolin-1 promotes tumor progression in an autochthonous mouse model of prostate cancer: genetic ablation of Cav-1 delays advanced prostate tumor development in tramp mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 26, pp. 25134–25145, 2005.
- M. J. L. Bonorden, O. P. Rogozina, C. M. Kluczny et al., “Intermittent calorie restriction delays prostate tumor detection and increases survival time in TRAMP mice,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 265–275, 2009.
- M. H. Lewin, J. R. Arthur, R. A. Riemersma et al., “Selenium supplementation acting through the induction of thioredoxin reductase and glutathione peroxidase protects the human endothelial cell line EAhy926 from damage by lipid hydroperoxides,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1593, no. 1, pp. 85–92, 2002.
- J. M. Bryson, V. R. Wensley, J. L. Phuyal, I. D. Caterson, and G. J. Cooney, “Chronic administration of BRL 26830A for 9 weeks improves insulin sensitivity but does not prevent weight gain in gold-thioglucose obese mice,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 317–322, 1999.
- P. R. Johnson and J. Hirsch, “Cellularity of adipose depots in six strains of genetically obese mice,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 2–11, 1972.
- B. Siegmund, K. C. Lear-Kaul, R. Faggioni, and G. Fantuzzi, “Leptin deficiency, not obesity, protects mice from Con-A-induced hepatitis,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 552–560, 2002.
- G. R. Jansen, “Effect of δ22-5β-taurocholenic acid on hepatic cholesterol and fatty acid in gold thioglucose obese mice fed low- or high-fat diets,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 638–643, 1999.
- J. Boucher, D. Quilliot, J. P. Pradères et al., “Potential involvement of adipocyte insulin resistance in obesity-associated up-regulation of adipocyte lysophospholipase D/autotaxin expression,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 569–577, 2005.
- M. Maffei, H. Fei, G. H. Lee et al., “Increased expression in adipocytes of ob RNA in mice with lesions of the hypothalamus and with mutations at the db locus,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 15, pp. 6957–6960, 1995.
- M. P. Cleary, M. K. Jacobson, F. C. Phillips, S. C. Getzin, J. P. Grande, and N. J. Maihle, “Weight-cycling decreases incidence and increases latency of mammary tumors to a greater extent than does chronic caloric restriction in mouse mammary tumor virus-transforming growth factor-α female mice,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 836–843, 2002.
- M. E. Grossmann, N. K. Mizuno, M. J. L. Bonorden et al., “Role of the adiponectin leptin ratio in prostate cancer,” Oncology Research, vol. 18, no. 5-6, pp. 269–277, 2009.
- G. Woodard, S. Ahmed, V. Podelski, T. Hernandez-Boussard, J. Presti Jr., and J. M. Morton, “Effect of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on testosterone and prostate-specific antigen,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 693–698, 2012.
- J. Cao, T.-M. Chen, W.-J. Hao et al., “Correlation between sex hormone levels and obesity in the elderly male,” Aging Male, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 85–89, 2012.
- P. J. Kaplan-Lefko, T. M. Chen, M. M. Ittmann et al., “Pathobiology of autochthonous prostate cancer in a pre-clinical transgenic mouse model,” Prostate, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 219–237, 2003.