- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 691380, 8 pages
Recent Trends in Prostate Cancer Incidence by Age, Cancer Stage, and Grade, the United States, 2001–2007
1Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC,
4770 Buford Hwy, MS K55, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
2Department of Urology and Winship Cancer Institute, School of Medicine, Emory University, 1365C Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Received 22 August 2012; Revised 25 October 2012; Accepted 31 October 2012
Academic Editor: J. W. Moul
Copyright © 2012 Jun Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group, United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2006 Incidence and Mortality Web-Based Report, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2010.
- J. L. Stanford, R. A. Stephenson, L. M. Coyle et al., “Prostate Cancer Trends 1973–1995, SEER Program, National Cancer Institute,” NIH 99-4543, Bethesda, Md, USA, 1999.
- H. G. Welch and P. C. Albertsen, “Prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment after the introduction of prostate-specific antigen screening: 1986–2005,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 101, no. 19, pp. 1325–1329, 2009.
- B. A. Kohler, E. Ward, B. J. McCarthy et al., “Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975–2007, featuring tumors of the brain and other nervous system,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 714–736, 2011.
- Y. H. Shao, K. Demissie, W. Shih et al., “Contemporary risk profile of prostate cancer in the United States,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 101, no. 18, pp. 1280–1283, 2009.
- A. B. Jani, P. A. S. Johnstone, S. L. Liauw, V. A. Master, and O. W. Brawley, “Age and grade trends in prostate cancer (1974–2003): a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results registry analysis,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 375–378, 2008.
- R. A. Stephenson, “Prostate cancer trends in the era of prostate-specific antigen an update of incidence, mortality, and clinical factors from the SEER database,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 173–181, 2002.
- A. B. Jani and S. Hellman, “Early prostate cancer: clinical decision-making,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9362, pp. 1045–1053, 2003.
- B. F. Hankey, L. A. Ries, and B. K. Edwards, “The surveillance, epidemiology, and end results program: a national resource,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 1117–1121, 1999.
- P. A. Wingo, P. M. Jamison, R. A. Hiatt et al., “Building the infrastructure for nationwide cancer surveillance and control—a comparison between The National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) and The Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (United States),” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 175–193, 2003.
- A. Fritz, C. Percy, A. Jack, et al., International Classification of Disease for Oncology, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2000.
- C. H. Johnson, Ed., “SEER Program Coding and Staging Manual 2004, Revision 1. National Cancer Institute,” NIH 04-5581, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2004.
- R. M. Merrill and A. Sloan, “Risk-adjusted incidence rates for prostate cancer in the United States,” Prostate, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 181–185, 2012.
- A. M. D. Wolf, R. C. Wender, R. B. Etzioni et al., “American Cancer Society guideline for the early detection of prostate cancer: update 2010,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 70–98, 2010.
- “Screening for prostate cancer. American College of Physicians,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 480–484, 1997.
- “Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) best practice policy. American Urological Association (AUA),” Oncology, vol. 14, pp. 267–280, 2000.
- L. S. Lim and K. Sherin, “Screening for prostate cancer in U.S. men ACPM position statement on preventive practice,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 164–170, 2008.
- M. W. Drazer, D. Huo, M. A. Schonberg, A. Razmaria, and S. E. Eggener, “Population-based patterns and predictors of prostate-specific antigen screening among older men in the United States,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 13, pp. 1736–1743, 2011.
- J. Li, R. German, J. King et al., “Recent trends in prostate cancer testing and incidence among men under age of 50,” Cancer Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 122–127, 2012.
- P. C. Albertsen, J. A. H. Hanley, G. H. Barrows et al., “Prostate cancer and the Will Rogers phenomenon,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 17, pp. 1248–1253, 2005.
- J. I. Epstein, W. C. Allsbrook, M. B. Amin et al., “The 2005 International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on Gleason grading of prostatic carcinoma,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1228–1242, 2005.
- D. W. Lin, M. Porter, and B. Montgomery, “Treatment and survival outcomes in young men diagnosed with prostate cancer: a population-based cohort study,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 13, pp. 2863–2871, 2009.
- M. R. Cooperberg, J. M. Broering, and P. R. Carroll, “Time trends and local variation in primary treatment of localized prostate cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1117–1123, 2010.
- R. Chou, J. M. Croswell, T. Dana et al., “Screening for prostate cancer: a review of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 155, pp. 762–771, 2011.