- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 560857, 12 pages
Global Patterns of Prostate Cancer Incidence, Aggressiveness, and Mortality in Men of African Descent
1Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 217 Blockley Hall, 423 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
2Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
3Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
4Department of Epidemiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
5Tobago Health Studies Office, Scarborough, Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago
6Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, CA 94538, USA
7Department of Health Research and Policy, Stanford University School of Medicine and Stanford Cancer Institute, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
8Department of Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
9The Institute of Cancer Research and Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, UK
10Stellenbosch University and Tygerberg Hospital, Cape Town 7505, South Africa
11Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
12Hôpital Général de Grand Yoff, Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar, Dakar, Senegal
13Department of Preventive Medicine and Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
14School of Medicine and Sylvester Cancer Center, University of Miami Miller, Miami, FL 33442, USA
15The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
16Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA 02138, USA
17Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
18Guyana Cancer Registry, Ministry of Health, Queenstown, Guyana
19Department of Urology and the Cancer, Therapy and Research Center, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
20Department of Public Health Sciences, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
21School of Medicine, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
22National Human Genome Research Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
23Department of Cancer Epidemiology and Center for Equal Health, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
24School of Clinical Medicine and Research, University of the West Indies, Nassau, Bahamas
25Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
26Department of Epidemiology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
27Departments of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Urology, Institute for Human Genetics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94122, USA
28Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC 27157, USA
29Korle Bu Teaching Hospital and University of Ghana Medical School, Accra, Ghana
Received 17 March 2012; Accepted 8 October 2012
Academic Editor: Folakemi Odedina
Copyright © 2013 Timothy R. Rebbeck et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [18 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Mathis Grossmann, Ada S. Cheung, and Jeffrey D. Zajac, “Androgens and prostate cancer; pathogenesis and deprivation therapy,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2013.
- Michael R. Burgio, John P. A. Ioannidis, Brett M. Kaminski, Eric DeRycke, Scott Rogers, Muin J. Khoury, and Daniela Seminara, “Collaborative Cancer Epidemiology in the 21st Century: The Model of Cancer Consortia,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2148–2160, 2013.
- Michael Blaise Cook, Zhaoming Wang, Edward D. Yeboah, Yao Tettey, Richard B. Biritwum, Andrew A. Adjei, Evelyn Tay, Ann Truelove, Shelley Niwa, Charles C. Chung, Annand P. Chokkalingam, Lisa W. Chu, Meredith Yeager, Amy Hutchinson, Kai Yu, Kristin A. Rand, Christopher A. Haiman, Robert N. Hoover, Ann W. Hsing, and Stephen J. Chanock, “A genome-wide association study of prostate cancer in West African men,” Human Genetics, 2013.
- D. Maxwell Parkin, Freddie Bray, Jacques Ferlay, and Ahmedin Jemal, “Cancer in Africa 2012,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 953–966, 2014.
- Andrea R. Spence, Marie-Claude Rousseau, Pierre I. Karakiewicz, and Marie-Élise Parent, “Circumcision and prostate cancer: a population-based case-control study in Montréal, Canada,” BJU International, 2014.
- Elizabeth A. Tindall, L. Richard Monare, Desiree C. Petersen, Smit van Zyl, Rae-Anne Hardie, Alpheus M. Segone, Philip A. Venter, M.S. Riana Bornman, and Vanessa M. Hayes, “Clinical presentation of prostate cancer in Black South Africans,” The Prostate, 2014.
- Ann W. Hsing, Edward Yeboah, Richard Biritwum, Yao Tettey, Angelo M. De Marzo, Andrew Adjei, George J. Netto, Kai Yu, Yan Li, Anand P. Chokkalingam, Lisa W. Chu, David Chia, Alan Partin, Ian M. Thompson, Sabah M. Quraishi, Shelley Niwa, Robert Tarone, and Robert N. Hoover, “High Prevalence of Screen Detected Prostate Cancer in West Africans: Implications for Racial Disparity of Prostate Cancer,” The Journal of Urology, 2014.
- Isaac Adewole, Damali N. Martin, Makeda J. Williams, Clement Adebamowo, Kishor Bhatia, Christine Berling, Corey Casper, Karima Elshamy, Ahmed Elzawawy, Rita T. Lawlor, Rosa Legood, Sam M. Mbulaiteye, Folakemi T. Odedina, Olufunmilayo I. Olopade, Christopher O. Olopade, Donald M. Parkin, Timothy R. Rebbeck, Hana Ross, Luiz A. Santini, Julie Torode, Edward L. Trimble, Christopher P. Wild, Annie M. Young, and David J. Kerr, “Building capacity for sustainable research programmes for cancer in Africa,” Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology, 2014.
- Michael P. Hoeh, and Leslie A. Deane, “PSA Screening: A Discussion Based on the USPSTF Recommendations and the AUA and EAU Guidelines,” Journal of Mens Health, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 2014.
- Nathan S. Consedine, Natalie L. Tuck, Camille R. Ragin, and Benjamin A. Spencer, “Beyond the Black Box: A Systematic Review of Breast, Prostate, Colorectal, and Cervical Screening Among Native and Immigrant African-Descent Caribbean Populations,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 2014.
- G. Liu, D. Shen, L. Jiao, and Y. Sun, “Nin one binding protein expression as a prognostic marker in prostate carcinoma,” Clinical and Translational Oncology, 2014.
- Lauren E. Holz, and Michael Goodman, “Epidemiology of advanced prostate Cancer: Overview of known and less Explored Disparities in prostate Cancer prognosis,” Current Problems in Cancer, 2014.
- Lawrence N. Shulman, Tharcisse Mpunga, Neo Tapela, Claire M. Wagner, Temidayo Fadelu, and Agnes Binagwaho, “Bringing cancer care to the poor: experiences from Rwanda,” Nature Reviews Cancer, 2014.
- Chantal Babb, Margaret Urban, Danuta Kielkowski, and Patricia Kellett, “Prostate Cancer in South Africa: Pathology Based National Cancer Registry Data (1986–2006) and Mortality Rates (1997–2009),” Prostate Cancer, vol. 2014, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Fasnéwindé Aristide Kaboré, Barnabé Zango, Timothé Kambou, Aimé Sosthène Ouédraogo, Aboubacar Bambara, Clotaire Yaméogo, Brahima Kirakoya, and Olga Lompo, “Prostate Cancer Disease Characteristics at the Time of Diagnosis and Initial Treatment Offered in a Tertiary Hospital at Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso),” Open Journal of Urology, vol. 04, no. 01, pp. 7–12, 2014.
- Mohamed Jalloh, Frank Myers, Janet E. Cowan, Peter R. Carroll, and Matthew R. Cooperberg, “Racial Variation in Prostate Cancer Upgrading and Upstaging Among Men with Low-risk Clinical Characteristics,” European Urology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 451–457, 2015.
- Michael Cheng, Li Zhang, Margaret Borok, Eric Chokunonga, Charles Dzamamala, Anne Korir, Henry R. Wabinga, Robert A. Hiatt, D. Max Parkin, and Katherine Van Loon, “The incidence of oesophageal cancer in Eastern Africa: Identification of a new geographic hot spot?,” Cancer Epidemiology, 2015.
- Lindsey A. Torre, Freddie Bray, Rebecca L. Siegel, Jacques Ferlay, Joannie Lortet-Tieulent, and Ahmedin Jemal, “Global cancer statistics, 2012,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 2015.