- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 682750, 6 pages
Urologic Characteristics and Sexual Behaviors Associated with Prostate Cancer in an African-Caribbean Population in Barbados, West Indies
1Chronic Disease Research Centre, The University of the West Indies, Jemmott’s Lane, St. Michael, BB11115, Barbados
2Department of Preventive Medicine, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-8036, USA
3Ministry of Health, Frank Walcott Building, Culloden Road, St. Michael, BB14001, Barbados
4Faculty of Medical Sciences, Cave Hill Campus, The University of the West Indies, St. Michael, BB11000, Barbados
Received 29 October 2012; Accepted 9 January 2013
Academic Editor: Katsuto Shinohara
Copyright © 2013 Anselm J. M. Hennis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, M. M. Center, C. DeSantis, and E. M. Ward, “Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trends,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1893–1907, 2010.
- A. J. Hennis, I. R. Hambleton, S. Y. Wu, et al., “Prostate cancer incidence and mortality in Barbados, West Indies,” Prostate Cancer, vol. 2011, Article ID 565230, 10 pages, 2011.
- T. N. Gibson, B. Hanchard, N. Waugh, and D. McNaughton, “Thirty-year trends in incidence and age-distribution of prostate cancer in Kingston and St Andrew, Jamaica, 1978–2007,” West Indian Medical Journal, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 9–12, 2011.
- C. H. Bunker, A. L. Patrick, B. R. Konety et al., “High prevalence of screening-detected prostate cancer among Afro-Caribbeans: the Tobago prostate cancer survey,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 726–729, 2002.
- M. Dieye, J. Veronique-Baudin, C. Draganescu, and H. Azaloux, “Cancer incidence in Martinique: a model of epidemiological transition,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- R. B. Hayes, L. M. Pottern, H. Strickler et al., “Sexual behaviour, STDs and risks for prostate cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 718–725, 2000.
- K. A. Rosenblatt, K. G. Wicklund, and J. L. Stanford, “Sexual factors and the risk of prostate cancer,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 153, no. 12, pp. 1152–1158, 2001.
- A. V. Sarma, J. C. McLaughlin, L. P. Wallner et al., “Sexual behavior, sexually transmitted diseases and prostatitis: the risk of prostate cancer in black men,” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 1108–1113, 2006.
- L. Fernández, Y. Galán, R. Jiménez et al., “Sexual behaviour, history of sexually transmitted diseases, and the risk of prostate cancer: a case-control study in Cuba,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 193–197, 2005.
- L. K. Dennis and D. V. Dawson, “Meta-analysis of measures of sexual activity and prostate cancer,” Epidemiology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 72–79, 2002.
- B. Nemesure, S. Y. Wu, A. Hennis, et al., “Central adiposity and prostate cancer in a black population,” Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 851–858, 2012.
- A. D. Markland, C. P. Vaughan, T. M. Johnson, P. S. Goode, D. T. Redden, and K. L. Burgio, “Prevalence of nocturia in United States men: results from the national health and nutrition examination survey,” Journal of Urology, vol. 185, no. 3, pp. 998–1002, 2011.
- E. A. Platz, E. Smit, G. C. Curhan, L. M. Nyberg, and E. Giovannucci, “Prevalence of and racial/ethnic variation in lower urinary tract symptoms and noncancer prostate surgery in U.S. men,” Urology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 877–883, 2002.
- M. Han, R. E. Brannigan, J. A. V. Antenor, K. A. Roehl, and W. J. Catalona, “Association of hemospermia with prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 172, no. 6, pp. 2189–2192, 2004.
- G. D. Honda, L. Bernstein, R. K. Ross, S. Greenland, V. Gerkins, and B. E. Henderson, “Vasectomy, cigarette smoking, and age at first sexual intercourse as risk factors for prostate cancer in middle-aged men,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 326–331, 1988.
- L. Rosenberg, J. R. Palmer, A. G. Zauber, et al., “The relation of vasectomy to the risk of cancer,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 431–438, 1994.
- S. Sutcliffe, I. Kawachi, J. F. Alderete et al., “Correlates of sexually transmitted infection histories in a cohort of American male health professionals,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1623–1634, 2009.
- K. Wellings, K. Nanchahal, W. Macdowall et al., “Sexual behaviour in Britain: early heterosexual experience,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9296, pp. 1843–1850, 2001.
- M. Marston, E. Slaymaker, I. Cremin et al., “Trends in marriage and time spent single in sub-Saharan Africa: a comparative analysis of six population-based cohort studies and nine Demographic and Health Surveys,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 85, supplement 1, pp. i64–i71, 2009.
- M. S. Golub, G. W. Collman, P. M. D. Foster et al., “Public health implications of altered puberty timing,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. S218–S230, 2008.
- J. S. Santelli, N. D. Brener, R. Lowry, A. Bhatt, and L. S. Zabin, “Multiple sexual partners among U.S. Adolescents and young adults,” Family Planning Perspectives, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 271–275, 1998.
- C. E. Kaestle, C. T. Halpern, W. C. Miller, and C. A. Ford, “Young age at first sexual intercourse and sexually transmitted infections in adolescents and young adults,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 161, no. 8, pp. 774–780, 2005.
- F. M. E. Wagenlehner, J. E. Elkahwaji, F. Algaba et al., “The role of inflammation and infection in the pathogenesis of prostate carcinoma,” BJU International, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 733–737, 2007.