- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 705865, 6 pages
Analysis of Preoperative Detection for Apex Prostate Cancer by Transrectal Biopsy
1Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1-8-1 Inohana, Chuou-ku, Chiba 260-8670, Japan
2Division of Urology, Chiba Cancer Center, Chiba 260-8717, Japan
3Department of Urology, Toho University Sakura Medical Center, Sakura 285-8741, Japan
4Department of Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba 260-8670, Japan
Received 11 November 2012; Accepted 21 January 2013
Academic Editor: Manfred P. Wirth
Copyright © 2013 Tomokazu Sazuka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Iremashvili, L. Pelaez, M. Jorda et al., “Prostate sampling by 12-core biopsy: comparison of the biopsy results with tumor location in prostatectomy specimens,” Urology, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2012.
- A. S. Moussa, A. Meshref, L. Schoenfield et al., “Importance of additional “extreme” anterior apical needle biopsies in the initial detection of prostate cancer,” Urology, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 1034–1039, 2010.
- G. S. Jack, M. S. Cookson, C. S. Coffey et al., “Pathological parameters of radical prostatectomy for clinical stages T1c versus T2 prostate adenocarcinoma: decreased pathological stage and increased detection of transition zone tumors,” Journal of Urology, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 519–524, 2002.
- H. Augustin, P. G. Hammerer, M. Graefen et al., “Insignificant prostate cancer in radical prostatectomy specimen: time trends and preoperative prediction,” European Urology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 455–460, 2003.
- E. Kikuchi, P. T. Scardino, T. M. Wheeler, K. M. Slawin, and M. Ohori, “Is tumor volume an independent prognostic factor in clinically localized prostate cancer?” Journal of Urology, vol. 172, no. 2, pp. 508–511, 2004.
- J. Ishii, M. Ohori, P. Scardino, T. Tsuboi, K. Slawin, and T. Wheeler, “Significance of the craniocaudal distribution of cancer in radical prostatectomy specimens,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 817–821, 2007.
- R. Takashima, S. Egawa, S. Kuwao, and S. Baba, “Anterior distribution of Stage T1c nonpalpable tumors in radical prostatectomy specimens,” Urology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 692–697, 2002.
- K. K. Hodge, J. E. McNeal, M. K. Terris, and T. A. Stamey, “Random systematic versus directed ultrasound guided transrectal core biopsies of the prostate,” Journal of Urology, vol. 142, no. 1, pp. 71–75, 1989.
- A. S. Huo, T. Hossack, J. L. Symons et al., “Accuracy of primary systematic template guided transperineal biopsy of the prostate for locating prostate cancer: a comparison with radical prostatectomy specimens,” Journal of Urology, vol. 187, no. 6, pp. 2044–2049, 2012.
- H. Rogatsch, W. Horninger, H. Volgger, G. Bartsch, G. Mikuz, and T. Mairinger, “Radical prostatectomy: the value of preoperative, individually labeled apical biopsies,” Journal of Urology, vol. 164, no. 3 I, pp. 754–758, 2000.
- J. N. Kabalin, J. E. McNeal, H. M. Price, F. S. Freiha, and T. A. Stamey, “Unsuspected adenocarcinoma of the prostate in patients undergoing cystoprostatectomy for other causes: incidence, histology and morphometric observations,” Journal of Urology, vol. 141, no. 5, pp. 1091–1094, 1989.
- J. E. McNeal and O. Haillot, “Patterns of spread of adenocarcinoma in the prostate as related to cancer volume,” Prostate, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 48–57, 2001.
- A. R. Patel and J. S. Jones, “Optimal biopsy strategies for the diagnosis and staging of prostate cancer,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 232–237, 2009.
- J. C. Presti Jr., G. J. O'Dowd, M. C. Miller, R. Mattu, and R. W. Veltri, “Extended peripheral zone biopsy schemes increase cancer detection rates and minimize variance in prostate specific antigen and age related cancer rates: results of a community multi-practice study,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 125–129, 2003.
- R. J. Babaian, A. Toi, K. Kamoi et al., “A comparative analysis of sextant and an extended 11-core multisite directed biopsy strategy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 152–157, 2000.
- L. A. Eskew, R. L. Bare, D. L. McCullough, and T. A. Stamey, “Systematic 5 region prostate biopsy is superior to sextant method for diagnosing carcinoma of the prostate,” Journal of Urology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 199–203, 1997.
- C. K. Naughton, D. C. Miller, and Y. Yan, “Impact of transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy on quality of life: a prospective randomized trial comparing 6 versus 12 cores,” Journal of Urology, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 100–103, 2001.
- M. Inahara, H. Suzuki, S. Kojima et al., “Improved prostate cancer detection using systematic 14-core biopsy for large prostate glands with normal digital rectal examination findings,” Urology, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 815–819, 2006.
- K. Orikasa, A. Ito, S. Ishidoya, S. Saito, M. Endo, and Y. Arai, “Anterior apical biopsy: is it useful for prostate cancer detection?” International Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 900–904, 2008.
- J. L. Wright and W. J. Ellis, “Improved prostate cancer detection with anterior apical prostate biopsies,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 492–495, 2006.
- A. J. Stephenson, D. P. Wood, M. W. Kattan et al., “Location, extent and number of positive surgical margins do not improve accuracy of predicting prostate cancer recurrence after radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 182, no. 4, pp. 1357–1363, 2009.
- T. Terakawa, H. Miyake, K. Tanaka, A. Takenaka, T. A. Inoue, and M. Fujisawa, “Surgical margin status of open versus laparoscopic radical prostatectomy specimens,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 704–708, 2008.
- L. Salomon, A. G. Anastasiadis, O. Levrel et al., “Location of positive surgical margins after retropubic, perineal, and laparoscopic radical prostatectomy for organ-confined prostate cancer,” Urology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 386–390, 2003.
- P. A. Humphrey, “Tumor amount in prostatic tissues in relation to patient outcome andmanagement,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 7–10, 2009.
- J. I. Epstein, “Prognostic significance of tumor volume in radical prostatectomy and needle biopsy specimens,” Journal of Urology, vol. 186, no. 3, pp. 790–797, 2011.
- K. Kawamura, H. Suzuki, N. Kamiya et al., “Development of a new nomogram for predicting the probability of a positive initial prostate biopsy in Japanese patients with serum PSA levels less than 10 ng/mL,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 598–603, 2008.