- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 810715, 6 pages
A Pilot Study of Laparoscopic Doppler Ultrasound Probe to Map Arterial Vascular Flow within the Neurovascular Bundle during Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy
1Department of Urology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 161 Fort Washington Avenue, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
2Department of Biostatistics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 722 West 168th Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
Received 26 February 2013; Revised 22 May 2013; Accepted 5 June 2013
Academic Editor: Katsuto Shinohara
Copyright © 2013 Ketan K. Badani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Rabbani, A. M. F. Stapleton, M. W. Kattan, T. M. Wheeler, and P. T. Scardino, “Factors predicting recovery of erections after radical prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 1929–1934, 2000.
- A. Briganti, U. Capitanio, F. K.-H. Chun et al., “Prediction of sexual function after radical prostatectomy,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 13, supplement, pp. 3150–3159, 2009.
- T. Marien, A. Sankin, and H. Lepor, “Factors predicting preservation of erectile function in men undergoing open radical retropubic prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 181, no. 4, pp. 1817–1822, 2009.
- A. Briganti, A. Gallina, N. Suardi et al., “Predicting erectile function recovery after bilateral nerve sparing radical prostatectomy: a proposal of a novel preoperative risk stratification,” The Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 2521–2531, 2010.
- M. Alemozaffar, M. M. Regan, M. R. Cooperberg et al., “Prediction of erectile function following treatment for prostate cancer,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 306, no. 11, pp. 1205–1214, 2011.
- S. Kilminster, S. Müller, M. Menon, J. V. Joseph, D. J. Ralph, and H. R. H. Patel, “Predicting erectile function outcome in men after radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 422–426, 2012.
- S. Chauhan, R. F. Coelho, B. Rocco, K. J. Palmer, M. A. Orvieto, and V. R. Patel, “Techniques of nerve-sparing and potency outcomes following robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy,” International Brazilian Journal of Urology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 259–272, 2010.
- A. T. Savera, S. Kaul, K. Badani, A. T. Stark, N. L. Shah, and M. Menon, “Robotic radical prostatectomy with the “Veil of Aphrodite” technique: histologic evidence of enhanced nerve sparing,” European Urology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1065–1074, 2006.
- M. Menon, S. Kaul, A. Bhandari, A. Shrivastava, A. Tewari, and A. Hemal, “Potency following robotic radical prostatectomy: a questionnaire based analysis of outcomes after conventional nerve sparing and prostatic fascia sparing techniques,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 2291–2296, 2005.
- C. C. Chabert, D. A. Merrilees, M. G. Neill, and C. G. Eden, “Curtain dissection of the lateral prostatic fascia and potency after laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: a veil of mystery,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 101, no. 10, pp. 1285–1288, 2008.
- O. Ukimura and I. S. Gill, “Real-time transrectal ultrasound guidance during nerve sparing laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: pictorial essay,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 175, no. 4, pp. 1311–1319, 2006.
- O. Ukimura, T. E. Ahlering, and I. S. Gill, “Transrectal ultrasound-guided, energy-free, nerve-sparing laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1993–1995, 2008.
- L. Klotz, J. Heaton, M. Jewett et al., “A randomized phase 3 study of intraoperative cavernous nerve stimulation with penile tumescence monitoring to improve nerve sparing during radical prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 164, no. 5, pp. 1573–1578, 2000.
- N. M. Fried, S. Rais-Bahrami, G. A. Lagoda, Y. Chuang, A. L. Burnett, and L.-M. Su, “Imaging the cavernous nerves in the rat prostate using optical coherence tomography,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 2007.
- H. H. Davila, M. Mamcarz, I. Nadelhaft, R. Salup, J. Lockhart, and R. E. Carrion, “Visualization of the neurovascular bundles and major pelvic ganglion with fluorescent tracers after penile injection in the rat,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 1048–1051, 2008.
- R. Yadav, S. Mukherjee, M. Hermen et al., “Multiphoton microscopy of prostate and periprostatic neural tissue: a promising imaging technique for improving nerve-sparing prostatectomy,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 861–867, 2009.
- E. S. Hyams, M. Perlmutter, and M. D. Stifelman, “A prospective evaluation of the utility of laparoscopic doppler technology during minimally invasive partial nephrectomy,” Urology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 617–620, 2011.
- A. C. Mues, Z. Okhunov, K. Badani, M. Gupta, and J. Landman, “Intraoperative evaluation of renal blood flow during laparoscopic partial nephrectomy with a novel doppler system,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1953–1956, 2010.
- M. A. Perlmutter, E. S. Hyams, and M. D. Stifelman, “Laparoscopic doppler technology in laparoscopic renal surgery,” Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 406–410, 2009.
- A. S. Sethi, S. M. Regan, and C. P. Sundaram, “The use of a doppler ultrasound probe during vascular dissection in laparoscopic renal surgery,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1377–1382, 2009.
- M. Cocuzza, R. Pagani, R. Coelho, M. Srougi, and J. Hallak, “The systematic use of intraoperative vascular Doppler ultrasound during microsurgical subinguinal varicocelectomy improves precise identification and preservation of testicular blood supply,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 2396–2399, 2010.
- M. Menon, A. Shrivastava, S. Kaul et al., “Vattikuti Institute prostatectomy: contemporary technique and analysis of results,” European Urology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 648–658, 2007.
- M. Menon, A. Shrivastava, M. Bhandari, R. Satyanarayana, S. Siva, and P. K. Agarwal, “Vattikuti Institute prostatectomy: technical modifications in 2009,” European Urology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 89–96, 2009.
- J. A. Long, B. H. Lee, J. Guillotreau, et al., “Real-time robotic transrectal ultrasound navigation during robotic radical prostatectomy: initial clinical experience,” Urology, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 608–613, 2012.
- S. C. Kim, C. Song, W. Kim et al., “Factors determining functional outcomes after radical prostatectomy: robot-assisted versus retropubic,” European Urology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 413–419, 2011.
- A. W. Levinson, C. P. Pavlovich, N. T. Ward, R. E. Link, L. Z. Mettee, and L.-M. Su, “Association of surgeon subjective characterization of nerve sparing quality with potency following laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 1510–1514, 2008.
- O. Schatloff, S. Chauhan, D. Kameh et al., “Cavernosal nerve preservation during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy is a graded rather than an all-or-none phenomenon: objective demonstration by assessment of residual nerve tissue on surgical specimens,” Urology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 596–600, 2012.
- T. J. Bradford, A. Z. Weizer, S. M. Gilbert et al., “Is residual neurovascular tissue on prostatectomy specimens associated with surgeon intent at nerve-sparing and postoperative quality of life measures?” Urologic Oncology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 487–491, 2010.
- V. R. Patel, O. Schatloff, S. Chauhan et al., “The role of the prostatic vasculature as a landmark for nerve sparing during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 571–576, 2012.
- M. Han, C. Kim, P. Mozer et al., “Tandem-robot assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy to improve the neurovascular bundle visualization: a feasibility study,” Urology, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 502–506, 2011.
- A. J. Hung, A. L. D. C. Abreu, S. Shoji et al., “Robotic transrectal ultrasonography during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 341–348, 2012.