- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 395078, 6 pages
Evaluating the Impact of PSA as a Selection Criteria for Nerve Sparing Radical Prostatectomy in a Screened Cohort
1Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
2Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, ASB1 L2, Boston, MA 02115, USA
3Department of Statistics, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
4Lank Center for Genitourinary Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
5Department of Radiation Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Received 31 January 2014; Revised 18 March 2014; Accepted 19 March 2014; Published 16 April 2014
Academic Editor: Cristina Magi-Galluzzi
Copyright © 2014 Shyam K. Tanguturi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. C. Walsh and P. J. Donker, “Impotence following radical prostatectomy: insight into etiology and prevention,” Journal of Urology, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 492–497, 1982.
- P. C. Walsh and J. L. Mostwin, “Radical prostatectomy and cystoprostatectomy with preservation of potency. Results using a new nerve-sparing technique,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 694–697, 1984.
- A. Takenaka, G. Murakami, H. Soga, S.-H. Han, Y. Arai, and M. Fujisawa, “Anatomical analysis of the neurovascular bundle supplying penile cavernous tissue to ensure a reliable nerve graft after radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 1032–1035, 2004.
- A. Srivastava, S. Chopra, A. Pham et al., “Effect of a risk-stratified grade of nerve-sparing technique on early return of continence after robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 438–444, 2013.
- J. A. Talcott, P. Rieker, K. J. Propert et al., “Patient-reported impotence and incontinence after nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 89, no. 15, pp. 1117–1123, 1997.
- J. Noldus, U. Michl, M. Graefen, A. Haese, P. Hammerer, and H. Huland, “Patient-reported sexual function after nerve-sparing radical retropubic prostatectomy,” European Urology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 118–124, 2002.
- H. R. Kübler, T. Y. Tseng, L. Sun, J. Vieweg, M. J. Harris, and P. Dahm, “Impact of Nerve Sparing Technique on Patient Self-Assessed Outcomes After Radical Perineal Prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 488–492, 2007.
- R. Katz, L. Salomon, A. Hoznek et al., “Patient reported sexual function following laparoscopic radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 168, no. 5, pp. 2078–2082, 2002.
- Y.-H. Lee, J.-K. Huang, and C.-M. Lu, “The impact on sexual function after nerve sparing and non-nerve sparing radical retropubic prostatectomy,” Journal of the Chinese Medical Association, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 2003.
- E. Rodriguez Jr., D. S. Finley, D. Skarecky, and T. E. Ahlering, “Single institution 2-year patient reported validated sexual function outcomes after nerve sparing robot assisted radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 181, no. 1, pp. 259–263, 2009.
- Y. D. Dubbelman, G. R. Dohle, and F. H. Schröder, “Sexual function before and after radical retropubic prostatectomy: a systematic review of prognostic indicators for a successful outcome,” European Urology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 711–720, 2006.
- J. A. Wieder and M. S. Soloway, “Incidence, etiology, location, prevention and treatment of positive surgical margins after radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 299–315, 1998.
- W. J. Catalona and S. W. Bigg, “Nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy: evaluation of results after 250 patients,” Journal of Urology, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 538–543, 1990.
- R. C. Smith, A. W. Partin, J. I. Epstein, and C. B. Brendler, “Extended followup of the influence of wide excision of the neurovascular bundle(s) on prognosis in men with clinically localized prostate cancer and extensive capsular perforation,” Journal of Urology, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 454–458, 1996.
- B. M. Moore, R. Savdie, R. A. Pebenito et al., “The impact of nerve sparing on incidence and location of positive surgical margins in radical prostatectomy,” BJU International, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 533–538, 2012.
- M. Sofer, K. L. Hamilton-Nelson, J. J. Schlesselman, and M. S. Soloway, “Risk of positive margins and biochemical recurrence in relation to nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1853–1858, 2002.
- O. Shah, D. A. Robbins, J. Melamed, and H. Lepor, “The New York University nerve sparing algorithm decreases the rate of positive surgical margins following radical retropubic prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 6, pp. 2147–2152, 2003.
- W. J. Catalona, “Patient selection for, results of, and impact on tumor resection of potency-sparing radical prostatectomy,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 819–826, 1990.
- A. A. Renshaw, “Correlation of gross morphologic features with histologic features in radical prostatectomy specimens,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 38–42, 1998.
- J. I. Epstein, W. C. Allsbrook Jr., M. B. Amin et al., “The 2005 International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP) consensus conference on Gleason grading of prostatic carcinoma,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1228–1242, 2005.
- M. S. Cookson, G. Aus, A. L. Burnett et al., “Variation in the definition of biochemical recurrence in patients treated for localized prostate cancer: the American Urological Association Prostate Guidelines for Localized Prostate Cancer Update Panel report and recommendations for a standard in the reporting of surgical outcomes,” Journal of Urology, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 540–545, 2007.
- A. Agresti, Categorical Data Analysis, Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 3rd edition, 2013.
- M. Hollander and D. A. Wolfe, Nonparametric Statistical Methods, Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics Texts and References Section, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- D. R. Cox, “Regression models and life-tables,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 187–220, 1972.
- N. Mantel, “Evaluation of survival data and two new rank order statistics arising in its consideration,” Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 163–170, 1966.
- J. P. Shaffer, “Multiple hypothesis testing,” Annual Review of Psychology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 561–584, 1995.
- M. Graefen, A. Haese, U. Pichlmeier et al., “A validated strategy for side specific prediction of organ confined prostate cancer: a tool to select for nerve sparing radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 165, no. 3, pp. 857–863, 2001.
- T. Naiki, T. Okamura, D. Nagata et al., “Preoperative prediction of neurovascular bundle involvement of localized prostate cancer by combined T2 and diffusionweighted imaging of magnetic resonance imaging, number of positive biopsy cores, and Gleason score,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 909–913, 2011.
- T. J. Sebo, J. C. Cheville, D. L. Riehle et al., “Predicting prostate carcinoma volume and stage at radical prostatectomy by assessing needle biopsy specimens for percent surface area and cores positive for carcinoma, perineural invasion, Gleason score, DNA ploidy and proliferation, and preoperative serum prostate specific antigen: a report of 454 cases,” Cancer, vol. 91, no. 11, pp. 2196–2204, 2001.
- L. Egevad, M. Norberg, S. Mattson, B. J. Norlén, and C. Busch, “Estimation of prostate cancer volume by multiple core biopsies before radical prostatectomy,” Urology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 653–658, 1998.
- F. Dong, J. S. Jones, A. J. Stephenson, C. Magi-Galluzzi, A. M. Reuther, and E. A. Klein, “Prostate cancer volume at biopsy predicts clinically significant upgrading,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 3, pp. 896–900, 2008.
- C. R. Pound, A. W. Partin, M. A. Eisenberger, D. W. Chan, J. D. Pearson, and P. C. Walsh, “Natural history of progression after PSA elevation following radical prostatectomy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 17, pp. 1591–1597, 1999.
- P. Zhou, M.-H. Chen, D. McLeod, P. R. Carroll, J. W. Moul, and A. V. D'Amico, “Predictors of prostate cancer-specific mortality after radical prostatectomy or radiation therapy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 28, pp. 6992–6998, 2005.
- J. C. Hu, X. Gu, S. R. Lipsitz et al., “Comparative effectiveness of minimally invasive vs open radical prostatectomy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 302, no. 14, pp. 1557–1564, 2009.
- J. C. Hu, Q. Wang, C. L. Pashos, S. R. Lipsitz, and N. L. Keating, “Utilization and outcomes of minimally invasive radical prostatectomy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 14, pp. 2278–2284, 2008.
- W. T. Lowrance, E. B. Elkin, L. M. Jacks et al., “Comparative effectiveness of prostate cancer surgical treatments: a population based analysis of postoperative outcomes,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 4, pp. 1366–1372, 2010.