- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 756189, 6 pages
Primary Zonal High Intensity Focused Ultrasound for Prostate Cancer: Results of a Prospective Phase IIa Feasibility Study
1Department of Urology, Jules Bordet Institute, 1 Héger-Bordet Street, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
2Université Libre de Bruxelles, 50 Franklin Roosevelt Avenue, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
3Department of Radiology, Jules Bordet Institute, 1 Héger-Bordet Street, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Received 30 September 2013; Revised 3 December 2013; Accepted 4 December 2013; Published 23 January 2014
Academic Editor: Katsuto Shinohara
Copyright © 2014 Roland Van Velthoven et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward, Y. Hao, J. Xu, and M. J. Thun, “Cancer statistics, 2009,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 225–249, 2009.
- M. Marberger, J. Barentsz, M. Emberton et al., “Novel approaches to improve prostate cancer diagnosis and management in early-stage disease,” BJU International, vol. 109, supplement 2, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- M. W. Kazer, S. P. Psutka, D. M. Latini, and D. E. Bailey Jr., “Psychosocial aspects of active surveillance,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 273–277, 2013.
- T. J. Wilt, M. K. Brawer, K. M. Jones, et al., “Radical prostatectomy versus observation for localized prostate cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, no. 3, pp. 203–213, 2012.
- S. A. Boorjian, J. A. Eastham, M. Graefen et al., “A critical analysis of the long-term impact of radical prostatectomy on cancer control and function outcomes,” European Urology, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 664–675, 2012.
- M. J. Resnick, T. Koyama, K. H. Fan, et al., “Long-term functional outcomes after treatment for localized prostate cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, no. 5, pp. 436–445, 2013.
- R. Turpen and C. J. Rosser, “Focal therapy for prostate cancer: revolution or evolution?” BMC Urology, vol. 9, no. 1, article 2, 2009.
- M. Valerio, H. U. Ahmed, M. Emberton, et al., “The role of focal therapy in the management of localised prostate cancer: a systematic review,” European Urology, 2013.
- H. P. Beerlage, G. J. L. H. Van Leenders, G. O. N. Oosterhof, et al., “High-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) followed after one to two weeks by radical retropubic prostatectomy: results of a prospective study,” Prostate, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 1999.
- L. Dickinson, Y. Hu, H. U. Ahmed et al., “Image-directed, tissue-preserving focal therapy of prostate cancer: a feasibility study of a novel deformable magnetic resonance-ultrasound (MR-US) registration system,” BJU International, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 594–601, 2013.
- K. Biermann, R. Montironi, A. Lopez-Beltran, S. Zhang, and L. Cheng, “Histopathological findings after treatment of prostate cancer using high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU),” Prostate, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 1196–1200, 2010.
- P. Ryan, A. Finelli, N. Lawrentschuk, et al., “Prostatic needle biopsies following primary high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) therapy for prostatic adenocarcinoma: histopathological features in tumour and non-tumour tissue,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 65, pp. 729–734, 2012.
- J. L. Gore, S. F. Shariat, B. J. Miles et al., “Optimal combinations of systematic sextant and laterally directed biopsies for the detection of prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 165, no. 5, pp. 1554–1559, 2001.
- D. Dindo, N. Demartines, and P. A. Clavien, “Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 240, no. 2, pp. 205–213, 2004.
- D. Mitropoulos, W. Artibani, M. Graefen, M. Remzi, M. Rouprêt, and M. Truss, “Reporting and grading of complications after urologic surgical procedures: an ad hoc EAU guidelines panel assessment and recommendations,” European Urology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 341–349, 2012.
- M. Roach III, G. Hanks, H. Thames Jr. et al., “Defining biochemical failure following radiotherapy with or without hormonal therapy in men with clinically localized prostate cancer: recommendations of the RTOG-ASTRO Phoenix Consensus Conference,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 965–974, 2006.
- A. V. D'Amico, R. Whittington, S. Bruce Malkowicz et al., “Biochemical outcome after radical prostatectomy, external beam radiation therapy, or interstitial radiation therapy for clinically localized prostate cancer,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 280, no. 11, pp. 969–974, 1998.
- G. Onik, D. Vaughan, R. Lotenfoe, M. Dineen, and J. Brady, “The “male lumpectomy”: focal therapy for prostate cancer using cryoablation results in 48 patients with at least 2-year follow-up,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 500–505, 2008.
- E. H. Lambert, K. Bolte, P. Masson, and A. E. Katz, “Focal cryosurgery: encouraging health outcomes for unifocal prostate cancer,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1117–1120, 2007.
- S. Muto, T. Yoshii, K. Saito, Y. Kamiyama, H. Ide, and S. Horie, “Focal therapy with high-intensity-focused ultrasound in the treatment of localized prostate cancer,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 192–199, 2008.
- J. F. Ward and J. S. Jones, “Focal cryotherapy for localized prostate cancer: a report from the national Cryo On-Line Database (COLD) Registry,” BJU International, vol. 109, no. 11, pp. 1648–1654, 2012.
- A. B. El Fegoun, E. Barret, D. Prapotnich et al., “Focal therapy with high-intensity focused ultrasound for prostate cancer in the elderly. A feasibility study with 10 years follow-up,” International Brazilian Journal of Urology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 213–219, 2011.
- H. U. Ahmed, R. G. Hindley, L. Dickinson et al., “Focal therapy for localised unifocal and multifocal prostate cancer: a prospective development study,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 622–623, 2012.
- E. Barret, Y. Ahallal, R. Sanchez-Salas, et al., “Morbidity of focal therapy in the treatment of localized prostate cancer,” European Urology, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 618–622, 2013.
- H. U. Ahmed, A. Freeman, A. Kirkham et al., “Focal therapy for localized prostate cancer: a phase I/II trial,” Journal of Urology, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. 1246–1254, 2011.
- D. K. Bahn, P. Silverman, F. Lee, R. Badalament, E. D. Bahn, and J. C. Rewcastle, “Focal prostate cryoablation: initial results show cancer control and potency preservation,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 688–692, 2006.
- D. S. Ellis, T. B. Manny Jr., and J. C. Rewcastle, “Rewcastle cryoablation as primary treatment for localized prostate cancer followed by penile rehabilitation,” Urology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 306–310, 2007.
- D. Bahn, A. L. de Castro Abreu, I. S. Gill et al., “Focal cryotherapy for clinically unilateral, low-intermediate risk prostate cancer in 73 men with a median follow-up of 3.7 years,” European Urology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2012.
- M. Ohori, J. A. Eastham, H. Koh, K. Kuroiwa, K. Slawin, and T. Wheeler, “Is focal therapy reasonable in patients with early stage prostate cancer (CAP)? An analysis of radical prostatectomy (RP) specimens,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 175, article 507, 2006.
- S. S. Taneja and M. Mason, “Candidate selection for prostate cancer focal therapy,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 835–841, 2010.
- D. Baumunk, C. Andersen, U. Heile, et al., “High-intensity focussed ultrasound in low-risk prostate cancer—oncological outcome and postinterventional quality of life of an inexperienced therapy centre in comparison with an experienced therapy centre,” Aktuelle Urologie, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 285–292, 2013.