- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 624764, 6 pages
Serum Adiponectin Levels in Advanced-Stage Parkinson's Disease Patients
1Parkinson Institute, Istituti Clinici di Perfezionamento (ICP), via Bignami 1, 20126 Milan, Italy
2Istituto Auxologico Italiano, via Zucchi 18, 20095 Cusano Milanino, Milan, Italy
3Centro Analisi Monza (CAM), via Missori 9, 20052 Monza, Italy
Received 10 January 2011; Revised 21 March 2011; Accepted 24 April 2011
Academic Editor: Francisco Grandas
Copyright © 2011 Erica Cassani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Chen, S. M. Zhang, M. A. Hernán, W. C. Willett, and A. Ascherio, “Weight loss in Parkinson's disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 676–679, 2003.
- C. G. Bachmann and C. Trenkwalde, “Body weight in patients with Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1824–1830, 2006.
- K. Kashihara, “Weight loss in Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 253, supplement 7, pp. VII38–VII41, 2006.
- H. S. Markus, A. M. Tomkins, and G. M. Stern, “Increased prevalence of undernutrition in Parkinson's disease and its relationship to clinical disease parameters,” Journal of Neural Transmission—Parkinson's Disease and Dementia Section, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 117–125, 1993.
- H. S. Markus, M. Cox, and A. M. Tomkins, “Raised resting energy expenditure in Parkinson's disease and its relationship to muscle rigidity,” Clinical Science, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 199–204, 1992.
- M. L. Petroni, G. Albani, V. Bicchiega et al., “Body composition in advanced-stage Parkinson's disease,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 40, supplement 1, pp. S187–S190, 2003.
- G. Scigliano, G. Ronchetti, and F. Girotti, “Autonomic nervous system and risk factors for vascular disease. Effects of autonomic unbalance in schizophrenia and Parkinson's disease,” Neurological Sciences, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 2008.
- G. Scigliano, M. Musicco, P. Soliveri, I. Piccolo, G. Ronchetti, and F. Girotti, “Reduced risk factors for vascular disorders in Parkinson disease patients: a case-control study,” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1184–1188, 2006.
- E. Cassani, M. Barichella, C. Madio, et al., “Body fat loss and HDL cholesterol improvement in advanced stages of Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 25, no. 3, p. S655, 2010.
- G. Scigliano, G. Ronchetti, F. Girotti, and M. Musicco, “Sympathetic modulation by levodopa reduces vascular risk factors in Parkinson disease,” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 138–143, 2009.
- R. Shibata, N. Ouchi, and T. Murohara, “Adiponectin and cardiovascular disease,” Circulation Journal, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 608–614, 2009.
- E. Hu, P. Liang, and B. M. Spiegelman, “AdipoQ is a novel adipose-specific gene dysregulated in obesity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 18, pp. 10697–10703, 1996.
- K. Maeda, K. Okubo, I. Shimomura, T. Funahashi, Y. Matsuzawa, and K. Matsubara, “cDNA cloning and expression of a novel adipose specific collagen-like factor, apM1 (AdiPose Most abundant Gene transcript 1),” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 221, no. 2, pp. 286–289, 1996.
- P. E. Scherer, S. Williams, M. Fogliano, G. Baldini, and H. F. Lodish, “A novel serum protein similar to C1q, produced exclusively in adipocytes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 45, pp. 26746–26749, 1995.
- T. Pischon, C. J. Girman, G. S. Hotamisligil, N. Rifai, F. B. Hu, and E. B. Rimm, “Plasma adiponectin levels and risk of myocardial infarction in men,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 14, pp. 1730–1737, 2004.
- J. Spranger, A. Kroke, M. Möhlig et al., “Adiponectin and protection against type 2 diabetes mellitus,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9353, pp. 226–228, 2003.
- Y. Iwashima, T. Katsuya, K. Ishikawa et al., “Hypoadiponectinemia is an independent risk factor for hypertension,” Hypertension, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1318–1323, 2004.
- N. Ouchi, H. Kobayashi, S. Kihara et al., “Adiponectin stimulates angiogenesis by promoting cross-talk between AMP-activated protein kinase and Akt signaling in endothelial cells,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 2, pp. 1304–1309, 2004.
- Y. Takemura, N. Ouchi, R. Shibata et al., “Adiponectin modulates inflammatory reactions via calreticulin receptor-dependent clearance of early apoptotic bodies,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 375–386, 2007.
- M. Barichella, E. Cereda, and G. Pezzoli, “Major nutritional issues in the management of Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 1881–1892, 2009.
- E. Cereda, M. Barichella, C. Pedrolli, and G. Pezzoli, “Low protein and protein redistribution diets for Parkinson's disease patients with motor fluctuations: a sistematic review,” Movement Disorders, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 2021–2034, 2010.
- A. J. Hughes, Y. Ben-Shlomo, S. E. Daniel, and A. J. Lees, “What features improve the accuracy of clinical diagnosis in Parkinson's disease: a clinicopathologic study. 1992,” Neurology, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. S34–S38, 2001.
- M. Ryo, T. Nakamura, S. Kihara et al., “Adiponectin as a biomarker of the metabolic syndrome,” Circulation Journal, vol. 68, no. 11, pp. 975–981, 2004.
- Y. Arita, S. Kihara, N. Ouchi et al., “Paradoxical decrease of an adipose-specific protein, adiponectin, in obesity,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 257, no. 1, pp. 79–83, 1999.
- M. Cnop, P. J. Havel, K. M. Utzschneider et al., “Relationship of adiponectin to body fat distribution, insulin sensitivity and plasma lipoproteins: evidence for independent roles of age and sex,” Diabetologia, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 459–469, 2003.
- H. Nishizawa, I. Shimomura, K. Kishida et al., “Androgens decrease plasma adiponectin, an insulin-sensitizing adipocyte-derived protein,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 2734–2741, 2002.
- K. Kishida, H. Nagaretani, H. Kondo et al., “Disturbed secretion of mutant adiponectin associated with the metabolic syndrome,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 306, no. 1, pp. 286–292, 2003.
- U. B. Pajvani, X. Du, T. P. Combs et al., “Structure-function studies of the adipocyte-secreted hormone Acrp30/adiponectin. Implications for metabolic regulation and bioactivity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 11, pp. 9073–9085, 2003.
- U. B. Pajvani, M. Hawkins, T. P. Combs et al., “Complex distribution, not absolute amount of adiponectin, correlates with thiazolidinedione-mediated improvement in insulin sensitivity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 13, pp. 12152–12162, 2004.
- J. Tonelli, W. Li, P. Kishore et al., “Mechanisms of early insulin-sensitizing effects of thiazolidinediones in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, vol. 53, pp. 1621–1629, 2004.
- A. J. Walkey, T. W. Rice, J. Konter, et al., “Plasma adiponectin and mortality in critically ill subjects with acute respiratory failure,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 2329–2334, 2010.
- “Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III),” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 19, pp. 2486–2497, 2001, Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults.