- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 190901, 6 pages
Factors Influencing Quality of Life in Caregivers of People with Parkinson's Disease and Implications for Clinical Guidelines
Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Received 19 September 2012; Revised 26 October 2012; Accepted 12 November 2012
Academic Editor: Marjan Jahanshahi
Copyright © 2012 D. Morley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Audit Office, Supporting Carers to Care, The Stationary Office, London, UK, 2009.
- Carers UK, “Valuing carers: calculating the value of carers' support,” 2011, http://www.carersuk.org/media/k2/attachments/Valuing_carers_2011___Carers_UK.pdf.
- Carers UK, “Carers can't afford to be ill,” 2008, http://www.carersuk.org/newsroom/item/160-carers-cant-afford-to-be-ill.
- Carers Trust, “Concern at lack of Social Care White Paper in Queen's speech to Parliament,” 2012, http://www.carers.org/news/concern-lack-social-care-white-paper-queen%E2%80%99s-speech-parliament.
- D. Morley, C. Selai, and A. Thompson, “Comparing caregiver anxiety across chronic and acute neurological conditions,” in Proceedings of the 27th Conference of the Stress & Anxiety Research Society, pp. 189–195, 2007.
- B. R. Bloem, J. M. Hausdorff, J. E. Visser, and N. Giladi, “Falls and freezing of Gait in Parkinson's disease: a review of two interconnected, episodic phenomena,” Movement Disorders, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 871–884, 2004.
- A. H. V. Schapira, “Science, medicine and the future: parkinson's disease,” British Medical Journal, vol. 318, no. 7179, pp. 311–314, 1999.
- R. Razali, F. Ahmad, F. N. A. Rahman, M. Midin, and H. Sidi, “Burden of care among caregivers of patients with Parkinson disease: a cross-sectional study,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 113, no. 8, pp. 639–643, 2011.
- J. Lökk, “Caregiver strain in Parkinson's disease and the impact of disease duration,” European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2008.
- M. Peters, R. Fitzpatrick, H. Doll, D. Playford, and C. Jenkinson, “Does self-reported well-being of patients with Parkinson's disease influence caregiver strain and quality of life?” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 348–352, 2011.
- I. Leroi, V. Harbishettar, M. Andrews, K. McDonald, E. J. Byrne, and A. Burns, “Carer burden in apathy and impulse control disorders in Parkinson's disease,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 160–166, 2012.
- J. H. Carter, K. S. Lyons, B. J. Stewart, P. G. Archbold, and R. Scobee, “Does age make a difference in caregiver strain? Comparison of young versus older caregivers in early-stage Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 724–730, 2010.
- P. Martínez-Martín, S. Arroyo, J. M. Rojo-Abuin et al., “Burden, perceived health status, and mood among caregivers of Parkinson's disease patients,” Movement Disorders, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1673–1680, 2008.
- A. Schrag, A. Hovris, D. Morley, N. Quinn, and M. Jahanshahi, “Caregiver-burden in parkinson's disease is closely associated with psychiatric symptoms, falls, and disability,” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2006.
- M. Caap-Ahlgren and O. Dehlin, “Factors of importance to the caregiver burden experienced by family caregivers of Parkinson's disease patients,” Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 371–377, 2002.
- P. Martínez-Martín, M. J. Forjaz, B. Frades-Payo et al., “Caregiver burden in Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 924–931, 2007.
- C. Jenkinson, S. Dummett, L. Kelly et al., “The development and validation of a quality of life measure for the carers of people with Parkinson's disease (the PDQ-Carer),” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 483–487, 2012.
- P. Martínez-Martín, J. Benito-León, F. Alonso et al., “Quality of life of caregivers in Parkinson's disease,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 463–472, 2005.
- E. J. O'Connor and M. P. McCabe, “Predictors of quality of life in carers for people with a progressive neurological illness: a longitudinal study,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 703–711, 2011.
- P. Schestatsky, V. C. Zanatto, R. Margis et al., “Quality of life in a Brazilian sample of patients with Parkinson's disease and their caregivers,” Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 209–211, 2006.
- V. Peto, C. Jenkinson, R. Fitzpatrick, and R. Greenhall, “The development and validation of a short measure of functioning and well being for individuals with Parkinson's disease,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 241–248, 1995.
- P. Martínez-Martín, M. Jeukens-Visser, K. E. Lyons et al., “Health-related quality-of-life scales in Parkinson's disease: critique and recommendations,” Movement Disorders, vol. 26, no. 13, pp. 2371–2380, 2011.
- J. E. Ware, M. Kosinski, J. B. Bjorner, D. M. Turner-Bowker, B. Gandek, and M. E. Maruish, User Manual For the SF-36 Version 2, Qualitymetric, Lincoln, RI, USA, 2nd edition, 2007.
- K. S. Lyons, B. J. Stewart, P. G. Archbold, and J. H. Carter, “Optimism, pessimism, mutuality, and gender: predicting 10-year role strain in Parkinson's disease spouses,” Gerontologist, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 378–387, 2009.
- K. K. Mehta, “Stress among family caregivers of older persons in Singapore,” Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 319–334, 2005.
- K. Hooker, M. Manoogian-O'Dell, D. J. Monahan, L. D. Frazier, and K. Shifren, “Does type of disease matter? Gender differences among alzheimer's and parkinson's disease spouse caregivers,” Gerontologist, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 568–573, 2000.
- B. Almberg, M. Grafström, and B. Winblad, “Major strain and coping strategies as reported by family members who care for aged demented relatives,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 683–691, 1997.
- B. Akpinar, Ö. Küçükgüçlü, and G. Yener, “Effects of gender on burden among caregivers of alzheimer's patients,” Journal of Nursing Scholarship, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 248–254, 2011.
- B. Goldsworthy and S. Knowles, “Caregiving for Parkinson's disease patients: an exploration of a stress-appraisal model for quality of life and burden,” Journals of Gerontology B, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. P372–P376, 2008.
- J. M. Glozman, “Quality of life of caregivers,” Neuropsychology Review, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 183–196, 2004.
- K. S. Kim, B. J. Kim, K. H. Kim et al., “Subjective and objective caregiver burden in Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 242–248, 2007.
- J. Rowe and R. Khan, Successful Ageing, Pantheon, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- H. J. Luijendijk, J. F. van den Berg, M. J. H. J. Dekker et al., “Incidence and recurrence of late-life depression,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 1394–1401, 2008.
- E. de Beurs, H. Comijs, J. W. R. Twisk, C. Sonnenberg, A. T. F. Beekman, and D. Deeg, “Stability and change of emotional functioning in late life: modelling of vulnerability profiles,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 53–62, 2005.
- National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions, Parkinson’s Disease: National Clinical Guideline For diagnosis and Management in Primary and Secondary Care, Royal College of Physicians, London, UK, 2006.