- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 742128, 6 pages
High Prevalence of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease in Parkinson’s Disease: A Questionnaire-Based Study
Department of Neurology, Research Institute for Brain and Blood Vessels, 6-10 Senshu-Kubota-Machi, Akita 010-0874, Japan
Received 22 November 2012; Revised 13 January 2013; Accepted 14 January 2013
Academic Editor: Heinz Reichmann
Copyright © 2013 Tetsuya Maeda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. H. Jones and G. Baxter, “Lansoprazole 30 mg daily versus ranitidine 150 mg b.d. in the treatment of acid-related dyspepsia in general practice,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 541–546, 1997.
- R. F. Pfeiffer, “Gastrointestinal dysfunction in Parkinson's disease,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 107–116, 2003.
- P. Martinez-Martin, A. H. V. Schapira, F. Stocchi et al., “Prevalence of nonmotor symptoms in Parkinson's disease in an international setting; study using nonmotor symptoms questionnaire in 545 patients,” Movement Disorders, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1623–1629, 2007.
- N. A. Leopold and M. C. Kagel, “Pharyngo-esophageal dysphagia in Parkinson's disease,” Dysphagia, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 1997.
- K. G. Byrne, R. F. Pfeiffer, and E. M. M. Quigley, “Gastrointestinal dysfunction in Parkinson's disease: a report of clinical experience at a single center,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 1994.
- E. R. Blonsky, J. A. Logemann, B. Boshes, and H. B. Fisher, “Comparison of speech and swallowing function in patients with tremor disorders and in normal geriatric patients: a cinefluorographic study,” Journal of Gerontology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 299–303, 1975.
- A. J. Hughes, S. E. Daniel, L. Kilford, and A. J. Lees, “Accuracy of clinical diagnosis of idiopathic Parkinson's disease: a clinico-pathological study of 100 cases,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 181–184, 1992.
- M. Kusano, Y. Shimoyama, S. Sugimoto et al., “Development and evaluation of FSSG: frequency scale for the symptoms of GERD,” Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 888–891, 2004.
- M. Kusano, Y. Shimoyama, O. Kawamura et al., “Proton pump inhibitors improve acid-related dyspepsia in gastroesophageal reflux disease patients,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 1673–1677, 2007.
- A. Schrag, M. Jahanshahi, and N. Quinn, “What contributes to quality of life in patients with Parkinson's disease?” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 308–312, 2000.
- K. R. Chaudhuri, D. G. Healy, and A. H. V. Schapira, “Non-motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease: diagnosis and management,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 235–245, 2006.
- K. Wakabayashi, H. Takahashi, S. Takeda, E. Ohama, and F. Ikuta, “Parkinson's disease: the presence of Lewy bodies in Auerbach's and Meissner's plexuses,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 217–221, 1988.
- W. J. Kupsky, M. M. Grimes, and J. Sweeting, “Parkinson's disease and megacolon: concentric hyaline inclusions (Lewy bodies) in enteric ganglion cells,” Neurology, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1253–1255, 1987.
- S. J. Qualman, H. M. Haupt, P. Yang, and S. R. Hamilton, “Esophageal Lewy bodies associated with ganglion cell loss in achalasia. Similarity to Parkinson's disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 848–856, 1984.
- N. Yoshimura, M. Shoji, and T. Matsui, “An autopsy case of Parkinson's disease manifesting hyperphagia and dysphagia followed by severe achalasia (disorder of motility) of the esophagus,” Brain and Nerve, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 741–746, 1982.
- S. Imagama, Y. Hasegawa, N. Wakao, K. Hirano, N. Hamajima, and N. Ishiguro, “Influence of lumbar kyphosis and back muscle strength on the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease in middle-aged and elderly people,” European Spine Journal, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 2149–2157, 2012.
- Y. Yamane, T. Yamaguchi, M. Tsumori et al., “Elcatonin is effective for lower back pain and the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease in elderly osteoporotic patients with kyphosis,” Geriatrics and Gerontology International, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 215–220, 2011.
- N. Miyakoshi, Y. Kasukawa, H. Sasaki, K. Kamo, and Y. Shimada, “Impact of spinal kyphosis on gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms in patients with osteoporosis,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1193–1198, 2009.
- K. M. Doherty, B. P. van de Warrenburg, M. C. Peralta, et al., “Postural deformities in Parkinson's disease,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 538–549, 2011.
- R. Djaldetti, R. Mosberg-Galili, H. Sroka, D. Merims, and E. Melamed, “Camptocormia (bent spine) in patients with Parkinson's disease—characterization and possible pathogenesis of an unusual phenomenon,” Movement Disorders, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 443–447, 1999.
- A. C. Lepoutre, D. Devos, A. Blanchard-Dauphin et al., “A specific clinical pattern of camptocormia in Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1229–1234, 2006.
- D. Tiple, G. Fabbrini, C. Colosimo et al., “Camptocormia in Parkinson disease: an epidemiological and clinical study,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 145–148, 2009.
- K. Abe, Y. Uchida, and M. Notani, “Camptocormia in Parkinson's disease,” Parkinson's Disease, vol. 2010, Article ID 267640, 5 pages, 2010.
- M. Seki, K. Takahashi, A. Koto, et al., “Camptocormia in Japanese patients with Parkinson's disease: a multicenter study,” Movement Disorders, vol. 26, no. 14, pp. 2567–2571, 2011.
- R. L. Stowe, N. J. Ives, C. Clarke et al., “Dopamine agonist therapy in early Parkinson's disease,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2008.
- M. Pierantozzi, A. Pietroiusti, A. Galante et al., “Helicobacter pylori-induced reduction of acute levodopa absorption in Parkinson's disease patients,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 686–687, 2001.
- M. Pierantozzi, A. Pietroiusti, G. Sancesario et al., “Reduced L-dopa absorption and increased clinical fluctuations in Helicobacter pylori-infected Parkinson's disease patients,” Neurological Sciences, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 89–91, 2001.
- M. Pierantozzi, A. Pietroiusti, L. Brusa et al., “Helicobacter pylori eradication and L-dopa absorption in patients with PD and motor fluctuations,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 1824–1829, 2006.
- W. Y. Lee, W. T. Yoon, H. Y. Shin, S. H. Jeon, and P. L. Rhee, “Helicobacter pylori infection and motor fluctuations in patients with Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1696–1700, 2008.
- N. Kim, S. W. Lee, J. I. Kim, et al., “Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on the development of reflux esophagitis and gastroesophageal reflux symptoms: a nationwide multi-center prospective study,” Gut and Liver, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 437–446, 2011.
- L. Rodrigues Jr., C. M. Faria, S. Geocze, and L. Chehter, “Helicobacter pylori eradication does not influence gastroesophageal reflux disease: a prospective, parallel, randomized, open-label, controlled trial,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 2012.
- A. M. Saad, A. Choudhary, and M. L. Bechtold, “Effect of Helicobacter pylori pylori treatment on gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 129–135, 2012.
- F. Johnsson, L. Weywadt, J. H. Solhaug, H. Hernqvist, and L. Bengtsson, “One-week omeprazole treatment in the diagnosis of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 1998.