- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 974964, 6 pages
A Patient-Based Needs Assessment for Living Well with Parkinson Disease: Implementation via Nominal Group Technique
1ATC and Jeff and Diane Ross Movement Disorders Clinic, Baycrest Hospital, University of Toronto, 3560 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M6A 2E1
2Baycrest Hospital, University of Toronto, 3560 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M6A 2E1
Received 20 November 2012; Accepted 19 December 2012
Academic Editor: Marjan Jahanshahi
Copyright © 2013 Galit Kleiner-Fisman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Hirtz, D. J. Thurman, K. Gwinn-Hardy, M. Mohamed, A. R. Chaudhuri, and R. Zalutsky, “How common are the “common” neurologic disorders?” Neurology, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 326–337, 2007.
- Health Canada. Economic Burden of Illness in Canada, Government of Canada, Ottawa, Canada, 1998, http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ebic-femc98/pdf/ebic1998.pdf.
- J. J. Chen, “Parkinson's disease: health-related quality of life, economic cost, and implications of early treatment,” The American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 16, supplement, pp. S87–S93, 2010.
- Y. Winter, M. Balzer-Geldsetzer, A. Spottke et al., “Longitudinal study of the socioeconomic burden of Parkinson's disease in Germany,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1156–1163, 2010.
- R. C. Dodel, M. Singer, R. Köhne-Volland et al., “The economic impact of Parkinson's disease: an estimation based on a 3- month prospective analysis,” Pharmaco Economics, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 299–312, 1998.
- M. Pugliatti, P. Sobocki, E. Beghi et al., “Cost of disorders of the brain in Italy,” Neurological Sciences, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 99–107, 2008.
- E. A. Spottke, J. Volkmann, D. Lorenz et al., “Evaluation of healthcare utilization and health status of patients with Parkinson's disease treated with deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 249, no. 6, pp. 759–766, 2002.
- G. Kleiner-Fisman, M. B. Stern, and D. N. Fisman, “Health-Related Quality of Life in Parkinson disease: correlation between Health Utilities Index III and Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) in U.S. Male veterans,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 8, article 91, 2010.
- L. E. I. A'Campo, E. M. Wekking, N. G. A. Spliethoff-Kamminga, S. Le Cessie, and R. A. C. Roos, “The benefits of a standardized patient education program for patients with Parkinson's disease and their caregivers,” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 89–95, 2010.
- L. Tickle-Degnen, T. Ellis, M. H. Saint-Hilaire, C. A. Thomas, and R. C. Wagenaar, “Self-management rehabilitation and health-related quality of life in Parkinson's disease: a randomized controlled trial,” Movement Disorders, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 194–204, 2010.
- A. W. Willis, M. Schootman, B. A. Evanoff, J. S. Perlmutter, and B. A. Racette, “Neurologist care in Parkinson disease: a utilization, outcomes, and survival study,” Neurology, vol. 77, pp. 851–857, 2011.
- E. R. Dorsey, T. S. Voss, D. R. Shprecher et al., “A U.S. Survey of patients with Parkinson's disease: satisfaction with medical care and support groups,” Movement Disorders, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 2128–2135, 2010.
- E. M. Cheng, K. Swarztrauber, A. D. Siderowf et al., “Association of specialist involvement and quality of care for Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 515–522, 2007.
- P. Hartzband and J. Groopman, “Untangling the web—patients, doctors, and the internet,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 12, pp. 1063–1066, 2010.
- L. Baker, T. H. Wagner, S. Singer, and M. K. Bundorf, “Use of the internet and E-mail for health care information: results from a national survey,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 18, pp. 2400–2406, 2003.
- P. R. Fitzsimmons, B. D. Michael, J. L. Hulley, and G. O. Scott, “A readability assessment of online Parkinson's disease information,” The Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, vol. 40, pp. 292–296, 2010.
- C. Moore, Applied Social Research Methods Series, Sage, Thousand Oaks, Cali, USA, 1994.
- S. O'Donnell, D. Kennedy, A. M. MacLeod, C. Kilroy, and J. Gollish, “Achieving team consensus on best practice rehabilitation guidelines following primary total hip replacement (THR) surgery,” Healthcare Quarterly, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 60–64, 2006.
- N. Harvey and C. A. Holmes, “Nominal group technique: an effective method for obtaining group consensus,” International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol. 18, pp. 188–194, 2012.
- A. Sales, H. M. O'Rourke, K. Draper, G. F. Teare, and C. Maxwell, “Prioritizing information for quality improvement using resident assessment instrument data: experiences in one Canadian province,” Healthcare Policy, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 55–67, 2011.
- A. Pena, C.A. Estrada, D. Soniat, B. Taylor, and M. Burton, “Nominal group technique: a brainstorming tool for identifying areas to improve pain management in hospitalized patients,” Journal of Hospital Medicine, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 416–420, 2011.
- G. B. A. Guest and L. Johnson, “How many interviews are enough? An experiment with data saturation and variability,” Field, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 59–82, 2006.
- G. Kleiner-Fisman, R. Martine, A. E. Lang, and M. B. Stern, “Development of a non-motor fluctuation assessment instrument for Parkinson disease,” Parkinson's Disease, vol. 2011, Article ID 292719, 13 pages, 2011.
- I. O. Medicine, Crossing the Quality Chasm. A New Health Sysem for the 21st Century, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- J. A. Osheroff, J. M. Teich, B. Middleton, E. B. Steen, A. Wright, and D. E. Detmer, “A roadmap for national action on clinical decision support,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 141–145, 2007.
- M. Macht, R. Schwarz, and H. Ellgring, “Patterns of psychological problems in Parkinson's disease,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 95–101, 2005.
- H. Ellgring, S. Seiler, B. Perleth, W. Frings, T. Gasser, and W. Oertel, “Psychosocial aspects of Parkinson's disease,” Neurology, vol. 43, no. 12, supplement 6, pp. S41–S44, 1993.
- E. M. Cheng, S. Tonn, R. Swain-Eng, S. A. Factor, W. J. Weiner, and C. T. Bever Jr., “Quality improvement in neurology: AAN Parkinson disease quality measures: report of the Quality Measurement and Reporting Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology,” Neurology, vol. 75, no. 22, pp. 2021–2027, 2010.
- S. Johnson, M. Davis, A. Kaltenboeck, et al., “Early retirement and income loss in patients with early and advanced Parkinson's disease,” Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, vol. 9, pp. 367–376, 2011.
- M. van der Eijk, M. J. Faber, S. Al Shamma, M. Munneke, and B. R. Bloem, “Moving towards patient-centered healthcare for patients with Parkinson's disease,” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 360–364, 2011.
- C. J. L. Murray and D. Evans, “Health systems performance assessment,” in Debates, Methods, and Empiricism, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
- K. A. Grosset and D. G. Grosset, “Patient-perceived involvement and satisfaction in Parkinson's disease: effect on therapy decisions and quality of life,” Movement Disorders, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 616–619, 2005.