- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 517838, 7 pages
Reliability of the Electromechanical Delay Components Assessment during the Relaxation Phase
Department of Biomedical Sciences for Health, University of Milan, Via G. Colombo 71, 20133 Milan, Italy
Received 30 November 2012; Accepted 1 February 2013
Academic Editor: Stephane Perrey
Copyright © 2013 Emiliano Cè et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. T. Viitasalo and P. V. Komi, “Interrelationships between electromyographic, mechanical, muscle structure and reflex time measurements in man,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 97–103, 1981.
- P. R. Cavanagh and P. V. Komi, “Electromechanical delay in human skeletal muscle under concentric and eccentric contractions,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 159–163, 1979.
- E. Cè, S. Rampichini, L. Agnello, E. Limonta, Veicsteinas A., and F. Esposito, “Effects of temperature and fatigue on the electromechanical delay components,” Muscle & Nerve, 2013.
- F. Esposito, E. Limonta, and E. Cè, “Passive stretching effects on electromechanical delay and time course of recovery in human skeletal muscle: new insights from an electromyographic and mechanomyographic combined approach,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 485–495, 2011.
- J. T. Hopkins, J. B. Feland, and I. Hunter, “A comparison of voluntary and involuntary measures of electromechanical delay,” International Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 597–604, 2007.
- T. Muraoka, T. Muramatsu, T. Fukunaga, and H. Kanehisa, “Influence of tendon slack on electromechanical delay in the human medial gastrocnemius in vivo,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 540–544, 2004.
- J. Grosset, J. Piscione, D. Lambertz, and C. Pérot, “Paired changes in electromechanical delay and musculo-tendinous stiffness after endurance or plyometric training,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 131–139, 2009.
- Ş. U. Yavuz, A. Şendemir-Ürkmez, and K. S. Türker, “Effect of gender, age, fatigue and contraction level on electromechanical delay,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 121, no. 10, pp. 1700–1706, 2010.
- C. Nicol and P. V. Komi, “Significance of passively induced stretch reflexes on achilles tendon force enhancement,” Muscle & Nerve, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1546–1548, 1998.
- C. Nicol and P. V. Komi, “Quantification of Achilles tendon force enhancement by passively induced dorsiflexion stretches,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 221–232, 1999.
- P. Blanpied and H. Oksendahl, “Reaction times and electromechanical delay in reactions of increasing and decreasing force,” Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 743–754, 2006.
- K. Ferris-Hood, A. J. Threlkeld, T. S. Horn, and R. Shapiro, “Relaxation electromechanical delay of the quadriceps during selected movement velocities,” Electromyography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 157–170, 1996.
- M. Miyashita, M. Miura, H. Matsui, and K. Minamitate, “Measurement of the reaction time of muscular relaxation,” Ergonomics, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 555–562, 1972.
- E. J. Vos, M. G. Mullender, and G. J. Van Ingen Schenau, “Electromechanical delay in the vastus lateralis muscle during dynamic isometric contractions,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 467–471, 1990.
- T. Corser, “Temporal discrepancies in the electromyographic study of rapid movement,” Ergonomics, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 389–400, 1974.
- A. Nordez, T. Gallot, S. Catheline, A. Guével, C. Cornu, and F. Hug, “Electromechanical delay revisited using very high frame rate ultrasound,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 1970–1975, 2009.
- K. Sasaki, T. Sasaki, and N. Ishii, “Acceleration and force reveal different mechanisms of electromechanical delay,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1200–1206, 2011.
- C. Orizio, M. Gobbo, A. Veicsteinas, R. V. Baratta, B. H. Zhou, and M. Solomonow, “Transients of the force and surface mechanomyogram during cat gastrocnemius tetanic stimulation,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 601–606, 2003.
- T. Tsuchiya, H. Iwamoto, Y. Tamura, and H. Sugi, “Measurement of transverse stiffness during contractioni in frog skeletal muscle using scanning laser acoustic microscope,” Japanese Journal of Physiology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 649–657, 1993.
- M. Gobbo, P. Gaffurini, L. Bissolotti, F. Esposito, and C. Orizio, “Transcutaneous neuromuscular electrical stimulation: influence of electrode positioning and stimulus amplitude settings on muscle response,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 111, no. 10, pp. 2451–2459, 2011.
- C. J. De Ruiter, D. A. Jones, A. J. Sargeant, and A. De Haan, “Temperature effect on the rates of isometric force development and relaxation in the fresh and fatigued human adductor pollicis muscle,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1137–1150, 1999.
- H. J. Hermens, B. Freriks, H. J. Hermens et al., Eurpoean Recommendations for Surface Electromyography, RRD, The Nederlands, 1999.
- B. Munro, Statistical Methods for Health Care Research, Lippincott, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1997.
- Gillis, “Relaxation of vertebrate skeletal muscle. A synthesis of the biochemical physiological approaches,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 811, no. 2, pp. 97–145, 1985.
- A. Jaskólska, K. Kisiel, W. Brzenczek, and A. Jaskólski, “EMG and MMG of synergists and antagonists during relaxation at three joint angles,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 90, no. 1-2, pp. 58–68, 2003.
- C. Tesi, N. Piroddi, F. Colomo, and C. Poggesi, “Relaxation kinetics following sudden Ca2+ reduction in single myofibrils from skeletal muscle,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 2142–2151, 2002.
- C. Orizio, R. V. Baratta, B. H. Zhou, M. Solomonow, and A. Veicsteinas, “Force and surface mechanomyogram relationship in cat gastrocnemius,” Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 1999.
- G. Ettema, Series Elastic Properties and Architecture of the Skeletal Muscle in Isometric and Dynamic Contractions, VU University Press, Amsterdam, 1990.
- A. Panchangam and W. Herzog, “Overextended sarcomeres regain filament overlap following stretch,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 45, no. 14, pp. 2387–2391, 2012.
- T. Uchiyama and K. Shinohara, “Comparison of displacement and acceleration transducers for the characterization of mechanics of muscle and subcutaneous tissues by system identification of a mechanomyogram,” Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 2012.