- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Physics Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 156396, 10 pages
Ultrasonic Measurements of Temperature in Aqueous Solutions: Why and How
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
Received 30 September 2010; Revised 12 January 2011; Accepted 14 February 2011
Academic Editor: Faramarz Farahi
Copyright © 2011 A. Afaneh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. W. C. Kaye and T. H. Laby, Tables of Physical and Chemical Constants, Longman, London, UK, 1986.
- A. M. Mayer, “On an acoustic pyrometer,” Philosophical Magazine, vol. 45, pp. 18–22, 1873.
- A. A. Fathimani and J. F. W. Bell, “A new resonant thermometer for nuclear reactor applications,” Journal of Physics E, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 588–596, 1978.
- S. F. Green, “An acoustic technique for rapid temperature distribution measurements,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 759–763, 1985.
- L. C. Lynnworth, “Industrial applications of ultrasound. A review. II. Measurements, tests, and process control using low intensity ultrasound,” IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics, vol. 54-22, no. 2, pp. 71–101, 1975.
- “Thermocouple,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple.
- “Resistance thermometer,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_thermometer.
- “Thermistor,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor.
- “Silicon bandgap temperature sensor,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_bandgap_temperature_sensor.
- R. M. Arthur, W. L. Straube, J. W. Trobaugh, and E. G. Moros, “Non-invasive estimation of hyperthermia temperatures with ultrasound,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 589–600, 2005.
- D. E. Yuhas, M. J. Mutton, J. R. Remiasz, and C. L. Vorrez, “Ultrasonic measurements of bore temperature in large caliber guns,” Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, July 2008, http://imsysinc.com/downloads/QNDE%20NETS.pdf.
- T. L. Liao, W. Y. Tsai, and C. F. Huang, “A new ultrasonic temperature measurement system for air conditioners in automobiles,” Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 413–419, 2004.
- A. N. Kalashnikov, K. L. Shafran, V. G. Ivchenko, R. E. Challis, and C. C. Perry, “In situ ultrasonic monitoring of aluminum ion hydrolysis in aqueous solutions: instrumentation, techniques, and comparisons to pH-metry,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1329–1339, 2007.
- S. Alzebda and A. N. Kalashnikov, “Ultrasonic sensing of temperature of liquids using inexpensive narrowband piezoelectric transducers,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, vol. 57, pp. 2704–2711, 2011.
- A. N. Kalashnikov, V. Ivchenko, R. E. Challis, and A. K. Holmes, “Compensation for temperatre variation in ultrasonic chemical process onitoring,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, pp. 1151–1154, September 2005.
- “Sodium chloride,” http://resource.npl.co.uk/acoustics/techguides/soundseawater/.
- A. N. Kalashnikov, V. G. Ivchenko, R. E. Challis, and B. R. Hayes-Gill, “High-accuracy data acquisition architectures for ultrasonic imaging,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 1596–1605, 2007.
- “Sodium persulfate,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_persulfate.
- V. A. Del Grosso and C. W. Mader, “Speed of sound in pure water,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1442–1446, 1972.
- A. N. Kalashnikov and R. E. Challis, “Errors and uncertainties in the measurement of ultrasonic wave attenuation and phase velocity,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1754–1768, 2005.
- “Seawater,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater.
- G. S. K. Wong and S. M. Zhu, “Speed of sound in seawater as a function of salinity, temperature, and pressure,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 1732–1736, 1995.
- “Speed of sound in sea-water,” http://resource.npl.co.uk/acoustics/techguides/soundseawater/.
- J. R. Lovett, “Merged sea-water sound speed equations,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 1713–1718, 1978.
- “Acetic acid,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic acid. Publications of the present authors are available for anonymous download on ftp://184.108.40.206/PUBLIC DISK/ak1/index.htm.