- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 545172, 9 pages
The PPARγ Agonist Rosiglitazone Is Antifibrotic for Scleroderma Lung Fibroblasts: Mechanisms of Action and Differential Racial Effects
Division of Rheumatology and Immunology, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas Street, Suite 912, Charleston, SC 29425-6370, USA
Received 6 May 2011; Accepted 26 August 2011
Academic Editor: Athol Wells
Copyright © 2012 Galina S. Bogatkevich et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Consoli and E. Devangelio, “Thiazolidinediones and inflammation,” Lupus, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 794–797, 2005.
- J. Becker, C. Delayre-Orthez, N. Frossard, and F. Pons, “Regulation of inflammation by PPARs: a future approach to treat lung inflammatory diseases?” Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 429–447, 2006.
- H. J. Patel, M. G. Belvisi, D. Bishop-Bailey, M. H. Yacoub, and J. A. Mitchell, “Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in human airway smooth muscle cells has a superior anti-inflammatory profile to corticosteroids: relevance for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease therapy,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 2663–2669, 2003.
- T. L. Bonfield, C. F. Farver, B. P. Barna et al., “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ is deficient in alveolar macrophages from patients with alveolar proteinosis,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 677–682, 2003.
- A. C. C. Wang, X. Dai, B. Luu, and D. J. Conrad, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ regulates airway epithelial cell activation,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 688–693, 2001.
- X. Shi-Wen, M. Eastwood, R. J. Stratton, C. P. Denton, A. Leask, and D. J. Abraham, “Rosiglitazone alleviates the persistent fibrotic phenotype of lesional skin scleroderma fibroblasts,” Rheumatology, vol. 49, no. 2, Article ID kep371, pp. 259–263, 2010.
- J. Wei, A. K. Ghosh, J. L. Sargent et al., “PPARγ downregulation by TGFβ in fibroblast and impaired expression and function in systemic sclerosis: a novel mechanism for progressive fibrogenesis,” PLoS One, vol. 5, no. 11, Article ID e13778, 2010.
- D. A. Culver, B. P. Barna, B. Raychaudhuri et al., “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ activity is deficient in alveolar macrophages in pulmonary sarcoidosis,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2004.
- A. K. Ghosh, S. Bhattacharyya, G. Lakos, S. J. Chen, Y. Mori, and J. Varga, “Disruption of transforming growth factor β signaling and profibrotic responses in normal skin fibroblasts by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1305–1318, 2004.
- M. Kapoor, M. McCann, S. Liu et al., “Loss of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ in mouse fibroblasts results in increased susceptibility to bleomycin-induced skin fibrosis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 2822–2829, 2009.
- M. Wu, D. S. Melichian, E. Chang, M. Warner-Blankenship, A. K. Ghosh, and J. Varga, “Rosiglitazone abrogates bleomycin-induced scleroderma and blocks profibrotic responses through peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 519–533, 2009.
- H. A. Burgess, L. E. Daugherty, T. H. Thatcher et al., “PPARγ agonists inhibit TGF-β induced pulmonary myofibroblast differentiation and collagen production: implications for therapy of lung fibrosis,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 288, no. 6, pp. L1146–L1153, 2005.
- U. Bartram and C. P. Speer, “The role of transforming growth factor β in lung development and disease,” Chest, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 754–765, 2004.
- R. M. Silver, K. S. Miller, M. B. Kinsella, E. A. Smith, and S. I. Schabel, “Evaluation and management of scleroderma lung disease using bronchoalveolar lavage,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 470–476, 1990.
- A. Ludwicka, M. Trojanowska, E. A. Smith et al., “Growth and characterization of fibroblasts obtained from bronchoalveolar lavage of patients with scleroderma,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1716–1723, 1992.
- G. S. Bogatkevich, A. Ludwicka-Bradley, K. B. Highland et al., “Impairment of the antifibrotic effect of hepatocyte growth factor in lung fibroblasts from African Americans: possible role in systemic sclerosis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 2432–2442, 2007.
- G. S. Bogatkevich, E. Gustilo, J. C. Oates et al., “Distinct PKC isoforms mediate cell survival and DNA synthesis in thrombin-induced myofibroblasts,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 288, no. 1, pp. L190–L201, 2005.
- G. S. Bogatkevich, A. Ludwicka-Bradley, K. B. Highland et al., “Down-regulation of collagen and connective tissue growth factor expression with hepatocyte growth factor in lung fibroblasts from white scleroderma patients via two signaling pathways,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 3468–3477, 2007.
- G. S. Bogatkevich, A. Ludwicka-Bradley, C. B. Singleton, J. R. Bethard, and R. M. Silver, “Proteomic analysis of CTGF-activated lung fibroblasts: identification of IQGAP1 as a key player in lung fibroblast migration,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 295, no. 4, pp. L603–L611, 2008.
- J. Zhang, N. Y. Fang, P. J. Gao et al., “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ agonists attenuate angiotensin II-induced collagen type I expression in adventitial fibroblasts,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 72–77, 2008.
- Y. Li, X. Wen, B. C. Spataro, K. Hu, C. Dai, and Y. Liu, “Hepatocyte growth factor is a downstream effector that mediates the antifibrotic action of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ agonists,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 54–65, 2006.
- K. B. Highland and R. M. Silver, “Clinical aspects of lung involvement: lessons from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and the scleroderma lung study,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 135–141, 2005.
- P. Ostojic, M. M. Cerinic, R. Silver, K. Highland, and N. Damjanov, “Interstitial lung disease in systemic sclerosis,” Lung, vol. 185, no. 4, pp. 211–220, 2007.
- P. J. Nietert, H. C. Mitchell, M. B. Bolster, S. R. Shaftman, B. C. Tilley, and R. M. Silver, “Racial variation in clinical and immunological manifestations of systemic sclerosis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 263–268, 2006.
- V. D. Steen, “Autoantibodies in systemic sclerosis,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2005.
- E. L. Greidinger, K. T. Flaherty, B. White, A. Rosen, F. M. Wigley, and R. A. Wise, “African-American race and antibodies to topoisomerase I are associated with increased severity of scleroderma lung disease,” Chest, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 801–807, 1998.
- T. A. McNearney, J. D. Reveille, M. Fischbach et al., “Pulmonary involvement in systemic sclerosis: associations with genetic, serologic, sociodemographic, and behavioral factors,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 318–326, 2007.
- H. F. Lakatos, T. H. Thatcher, R. M. Kottmann, T. M. Garcia, R. P. Phipps, and P. J. Sime, “The role of PPARs in lung fibrosis,” PPAR Research, Article ID 71323, 2007.
- J. E. Milam, V. G. Keshamouni, S. H. Phan et al., “PPAR-γ agonists inhibit profibrotic phenotypes in human lung fibroblasts and bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 294, no. 5, pp. L891–L901, 2008.
- T. Genovese, S. Cuzzocrea, R. Di Paola et al., “Effect of rosiglitazone and 15-deoxy-Δ12,14-prostaglandin J2 on bleomycin-induced lung injury,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 225–234, 2005.
- C. Zhao, W. Chen, L. Yang, L. Chen, S. A. Stimpson, and A. M. Diehl, “PPARγ agonists prevent TGFβ1/Smad3-signaling in human hepatic stellate cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 350, no. 2, pp. 385–391, 2006.
- A. Masamune, K. Satoh, Y. Sakai, M. Yoshida, A. Satoh, and T. Shimosegawa, “Ligands of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ induce apoptosis in AR42J cells,” Pancreas, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 130–138, 2002.
- R. E. Teresi, C. W. Shaiu, C. S. Chen, V. K. Chatterjee, K. A. Waite, and C. Eng, “Increased PTEN expression due to transcriptional activation of PPARγ by Lovastatin and Rosiglitazone,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 118, no. 10, pp. 2390–2398, 2006.
- K. Hoshino, T. Satoh, Y. Kawaguchi, and M. Kuwana, “Association of hepatocyte growth factor promoter polymorphism with severity of interstitial lung disease in Japanese patients with systemic sclerosis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 2465–2472, 2011.