- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Pathology Research International
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 247923, 8 pages
Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Associated Gastrointestinal Disease: Common Endoscopic Biopsy Diagnoses
1Department of Pathology, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
2Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Received 1 December 2010; Accepted 7 February 2011
Academic Editor: Liron Pantanowitz
Copyright © 2011 Feriyl Bhaijee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. A. Knox, D. Spiegelman, S. C. Skinner, et al., “Diarrhea and abnormalities of gastrointestinal function in a cohort of men and women with HIV infection,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no. 12, pp. 3482–3489, 2000.
- S. Di Lollo and S. Tozzinni, “Pathology,” in Textbook-Atlas of Intestinal Infections in AIDS, D. Dionisio, Ed., pp. 211–231, Springer, Milan, Italia, 2003.
- P. Pellecchia and L. J. Brandt, “Intestinal abnormalities in AIDS,” in Gastroenterological Endoscopy, M. Classen, G. N. J. Tytgat, and C. J. Lightdale, Eds., pp. 753–765, Thieme, Stuttgart, Germany, 2nd edition, 2010.
- J. D. Rich, J. M. Crawford, S. N. Kazanjian, and P. H. Kazanjian, “Discrete gastrointestinal mass lesions caused by cytomegalovirus in patients with AIDS: report of three cases and review,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 609–614, 1992.
- F. Clayton and C. H. Clayton, “Gastrointestinal pathology in HIV-infected patients,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 191–240, 1997.
- C. M. Wilcox and D. A. Schwartz, “Endoscopic characterization of idiopathic esophageal ulceration associated with human immunodeficiency virus infection,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 251–256, 1993.
- M. Nkuize, S. De Wit, V. Muls, M. Arvanitakis, and M. Buset, “Upper gastrointestinal endoscopic findings in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy,” HIV Medicine, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 412–417, 2010.
- H. M. Chiu, M. S. Wu, C. C. Hung, C. T. Shun, and J. T. Lin, “Low prevalence of Helicobacter pylori but high prevalence of cytomegalovirus-associated peptic ulcer disease in AIDS patients: comparative study of symptomatic subjects evaluated by endoscopy and CD4 counts,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 423–428, 2004.
- C. G. Varsky, M. C. Correa, N. Sarmiento et al., “Prevalence and etiology of gastroduodenal ulcer in HIV-positive patients: a comparative study of 497 symptomatic subjects evaluated by endoscopy,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 935–940, 1998.
- H. Y. Sun, M. Y. Chen, M. S. Wu et al., “Endoscopic appearance of GI mycobacteriosis caused by the Mycobacterium avium complex in a patient with AIDS: case report and review,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 775–779, 2005.
- D. M. Knowles and A. Chadburn, “Lymphadenopathy and the lymphoid neoplasms associated with the acquired immune deficiency syndrome,” in Neoplastic Hematopathology, D. M. Knowles, Ed., pp. 987–1090, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 2nd edition, 2000.
- E. T. Katabira, “Epidemiology and management of diarrheal disease in HIV-infected patients,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 164–167, 1999.
- R. Weber, B. Ledergerber, R. Zbinden et al., “Enteric infections and diarrhea in human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons: prospective community-based cohort study. Swiss HIV Cohort Study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 159, no. 13, pp. 1473–1480, 1999.
- S. S. Lu, “Pathophysiology of HIV-associated diarrhea,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 175–189, 1997.
- E. N. Janoff, P. D. Smith, and M. J. Blaser, “Acute antibody responses to Giardia lamblia are depressed in patients with AIDS,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 157, no. 4, pp. 798–804, 1988.
- D. P. Kotler, “HIV infection and the gastrointestinal tract,” AIDS, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 107–117, 2005.
- F. Clayton, D. P. Kotler, S. K. Kuwada et al., “Gp120-induced Bob/GPR15 activation: a possible cause of human immunodeficiency virus enteropathy,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 1933–1939, 2001.
- P. Feuerstadt and L. J. Brandt, “Infectious diseases of the intestines,” in Gastroenterological Endoscopy, M. Classen, G. N. J. Tytgat, and C. J. Lightdale, Eds., pp. 742–752, Thieme, Stuttgart, Germany, 2nd edition, 2010.
- V. C. Emery, “Investigation of CMV disease in immunocompromised patients,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 84–88, 2001.
- D. T. Dieterich and M. Rahmin, “Cytomegalovirus colitis in AIDS: presentation in 44 patients and a review of the literature,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 4, supplement 1, pp. S29–S35, 1991.
- C. M. Wilcox, N. Chalasani, A. Lazenby, and D. A. Schwartz, “Cytomegalovirus colitis in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: a clinical and endoscopic study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 1998.
- O. Marques, M. Averbach, E. C. A. Zanoni, P. A. F. P. Corrêa, J. L. Paccos, and R. Cutait, “Cytomegaloviral colitis in HIV positive patients: endoscopic findings,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 315–319, 2007.
- C. Blanshard, Y. Benhamou, E. Dohin, J. O. Lernestedt, B. G. Gazzard, and C. Katlama, “Treatment of AIDS-associated gastrointestinal cytomegalovirus infection with foscarnet and ganciclovir: a randomized comparison,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 622–628, 1995.
- R. A. Clark, D. Greer, W. Atkinson, G. T. Valainis, and N. Hyslop, “Spectrum of Cryptococcus neoformans infection in 68 patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 768–777, 1990.
- S. Antinori, C. Magni, M. Nebuloni et al., “Histoplasmosis among human immunodeficiency virus-infected people in Europe: report of 4 cases and review of the literature,” Medicine, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 22–36, 2006.
- K. N. Suh, T. Anekthananon, and P. R. Mariuz, “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in patients with AIDS: case report and review,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 483–491, 2001.
- C. J. Kahi, L. J. Wheat, S. D. Allen, and G. A. Sarosi, “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 220–231, 2005.
- P. R. Becherer, M. Sokol-Anderson, J. H. Joist, and T. Milligan, “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis presenting as hematochezia in human immunodeficiency virus-infected hemophilic patients,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 229–231, 1994.
- J. D. Klausner, R. Kohn, and C. Kent, “Etiology of clinical proctitis among men who have sex with men,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 300–302, 2004.
- E. Hamlyn and C. Taylor, “Sexually transmitted proctitis,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 82, no. 973, pp. 733–736, 2006.
- D. Peppa, I. Plumb, J. Du Parcq, S. Taylor, and R. F. Miller, “Gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in an HIV-infected patient living in a non-endemic area,” International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 864–865, 2008.