- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Pathology Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 164934, 13 pages
Diagnosis of B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas with Small-/Intermediate-Sized Cells in Cytopathology
Division of Anatomical Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital, Room E11-219, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 2C4
Received 2 February 2012; Accepted 15 March 2012
Academic Editor: Gary Tse
Copyright © 2012 Joerg Schwock and William R. Geddie. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. A. Young and T. Al-Saleem, “Hematopathologists and cytopathologists: enemies or allies?” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 305–306, 1999.
- L. M. Sandhaus, “Fine-needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of lymphoma: the next step,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 623–627, 2000.
- P. E. Wakely Jr., “The diagnosis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma using fine-needle aspiration cytopathology: a work in progress.,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 238–243, 2010.
- L. L. Cafferty, R. L. Katz, N. G. Ordonez, C. H. Carrasco, and F. R. Cabanillas, “Fine needle aspiration diagnosis of intraabdominal and retroperitoneal lymphomas by a morphologic and immunocytochemical approach,” Cancer, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 72–77, 1990.
- E. Ravinsky and C. Morales, “Diagnosis of lymphoma by image-guided needle biopsies: fine needle aspiration biopsy, core biopsy or both?” Acta Cytologica, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2005.
- J. Z. Gong, M. J. Snyder, A. S. Lagoo et al., “Diagnostic impact of core-needle biopsy on fine-needle aspiration of non-hodgkin lymphoma,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2004.
- S. Bandyopadhyay, V. Pansare, J. Feng et al., “Frequency and rationale of fine needle aspiration biopsy conversion to core biopsy as a result of onsite evaluation,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 161–167, 2007.
- P. E. Wakely Jr., “Fine-needle aspiration cytopathology in diagnosis and classification of malignant lymphoma: accurate and reliable?” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 120–125, 2000.
- D. C. Chhieng, J. M. Cohen, and J. F. Cangiarella, “Cytology and immunophenotyping of low- and intermediate-grade B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas with a predominant small-cell component: a study of 56 cases,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 90–97, 2001.
- N. Söderström, Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy: Used as a Direct Adjunct in Clinical Diagnostic Work, Almqvist & Wiksell, Stockholm, Sweden, 1966.
- E. Flanders, M. J. Kornstein, P. E. Wakely Jr., T. F. Kardos, and W. J. Frable, “Lymphoglandular bodies in fine-needle aspiration cytology smears,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 566–569, 1993.
- S. E. Pambuccian and R. H. Bardales, Lymph Node Cytopathology in Essentials in Cytopathology, Springer, Science, Business Media, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- M. Bangerter, F. Herrmann, M. Griesshammer et al., “The abundant presence of Soderstrom bodies in cytology smears of fine-needle aspirates contributes to distinguishing high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma from carcinoma and sarcoma,” Annals of Hematology, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 175–178, 1997.
- W. R. Geddie, “Cytology and laser scanning cytometry,” in Wintrobe's Atlas of Clinical Hematology, chapter 7, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2007.
- K. F. W. Schleip, Hematological Atlas with a Description of The Technic of Blood Examin, Rebman, New York, NY, USA, 1908.
- L. Skoog and E. Tani, “Techniques.,” Monographs in Clinical Cytology, vol. 18, pp. 5–10, 2009.
- A. Zajdela, P. Zillhardt, and N. Voillemot, “Cytological diagnosis by fine needle sampling without aspiration,” Cancer, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1201–1205, 1987.
- J. S. Abele, T. R. Miller, E. B. King, and T. Lowhagen, “Smearing techniques for the concentration of particles from fine needle aspiration biopsy.,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 1985.
- H. M. Ko, G. D. C. Santos, G. Darling, et al., “Diagnosis and subclassification of lymphomas and non-neoplastic lesions involving mediastinal lymph nodes using endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration,” Diagnostic Cytopathology. In press.
- S. H. Swerdlow, E. Campo, N. L. Harris, et al., WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2008.
- A. Y. Matsushima, D. Hamele-Bena, and B. M. Osborne, “Fine-needle aspiration biopsy findings in marginal zone B cell lymphoma,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 190–198, 1999.
- U. N. Saikia, P. Dey, B. Saikia, and A. Das, “Fine-needle aspiration biopsy in diagnosis of follicular lymphoma: cytomorphologic and immunohistochemical analysis,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 251–256, 2002.
- J. P. Crapanzano and O. Lin, “Cytologic findings of marginal zone lymphoma,” Cancer, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 301–309, 2003.
- P. Uherova, C. W. Ross, W. G. Finn, T. P. Singleton, R. Kansal, and B. Schnitzer, “Peripheral T-cell lymphoma mimicking marginal zone B-cell lymphoma,” Modern Pathology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 420–425, 2002.
- H. Y. Dong, N. L. Harris, F. I. Preffer, and M. B. Pitman, “Fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis and classification of primary and recurrent lymphoma: a retrospective analysis of the utility of cytomorphology and flow cytometry,” Modern Pathology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 472–481, 2001.
- K. Kishimoto, T. Kitamura, K. Fujita, G. Tate, and T. Mitsuya, “Cytologic differential diagnosis of follicular lymphoma grades 1 and 2 from reactive follicular hyperplasia: cytologic features of fine-needle aspiration smears with Pap stain and fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis to detect t(14;18)(q32;q21) chromosomal translocation,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2006.
- N. A. Young, T. I. Al-Saleem, Z. Al-Saleem, H. Ehya, and M. R. Smith, “The value of transformed lymphocyte count in subclassification of non-hodgkin's lymphoma by fine-needle aspiration,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 143–151, 1997.
- G. D. Brandao, R. Rose, S. Mckenzie, P. Maslak, and O. Lin, “Grading follicular lymphomas in fine-needle aspiration biopsies: the role of ThinPrep slides and flow cytometry,” Cancer, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 319–323, 2006.
- G. Z. Rassidakis, E. Tani, E. Svedmyr, A. Porwit, and L. Skoog, “Diagnosis and subclassification of follicle center and mantle cell lymphomas on fine-needle aspirates: a cytologic and immunocytochemical approach based on the Revised European-American Lymphoma (REAL) classification,” Cancer, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 216–223, 1999.
- D. Gagneten, Y. M. Hijazi, E. S. Jaffe, and D. Solomon, “Mantle cell lymphoma: a cytopathological and immunocytochemical study,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 1996.
- B. A. Murphy, B. A. Meda, D. H. Buss, and K. R. Geisinger, “Marginal zone and mantle cell lymphomas: assessment of cytomorphology in subtyping small B-cell lymphomas,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 126–130, 2003.
- R. Schaffel, C. V. Hedvat, J. Teruya-Feldstein et al., “Prognostic impact of proliferative index determined by quantitative image analysis and the international prognostic index in patients with mantle cell lymphoma,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 133–139, 2010.
- T. Strunge, La ponction des ganglions lymphatiques (une description cytologique controlée par la clinique), Ph.D.thesis, Munksgaard, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1944.
- L. Skoog and E. Tani, “B cell neoplasms,” Monographs in Clinical Cytology, vol. 18, pp. 19–37, 2009.
- P. E. Wakely Jr., “Fine needle aspiration cytopathology of malignant lymphoma,” Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 541–559, 1998.
- N. P. Caraway, “Strategies to diagnose lymphoproliferative disorders by fine-needle aspiration by using ancillary studies,” Cancer, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 432–442, 2005.
- L. Skoog and E. Tani, “Immunocytochemistry: an indispensable technique in routine cytology,” Cytopathology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 215–229, 2011.
- A. Demurtas, G. Accinelli, D. Pacchioni et al., “Utility of flow cytometry immunophenotyping in fine-needle aspirate cytologic diagnosis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a series of 252 cases and review of the literature,” Applied Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Morphology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 311–322, 2010.
- S. Barrena, J. Almeida, M. D. C. Garcia-Macias, et al., “Flow cytometry immunophenotyping of fine-needle aspiration specimens: utility in the diagnosis and classification of non-hodgkin lymphomas,” Histopathology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 906–918, 2011.
- R. J. Clatch and J. L. Walloch, “Multiparameter immunophenotypic analysis of fine needle aspiration biopsies and other hematologic specimens by laser scanning cytometry,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 109–122, 1997.
- A. M. AlZa'abi, W. B. Geddie, and S. L. Boerner, “Equivalence of laser scanning cytometric and flow cytometric immunophenotyping of lymphoid lesions in cytologic samples,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 129, no. 5, pp. 780–785, 2008.
- M. D. Jeffers, J. Milton, R. Herriot, and M. McKean, “Fine needle aspiration cytology in the investigation of non-hodgkin's lymphoma,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 189–196, 1998.
- A. E. Ali, E. K. Morgen, W. R. Geddie et al., “Classifying B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma by using MIB-1 proliferative index in fine-needle aspirates.,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 166–172, 2010.
- G. Barna, L. Reiniger, P. Tatrai, L. Kopper, and A. Matolcsy, “The cut-off levels of CD23 expression in the differential diagnosis of MCL and CLL,” Hematology & Oncology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 167–170, 2008.
- G. D. C. Santos, H. M. Ko, W. R. Geddie et al., “Targeted use of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) in cytospin preparations: results of 298 fine needle aspirates of B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma.,” Cancer Cytopathology, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 250–258, 2010.
- S. Gesk, W. Klapper, J. I. Martín-Subero et al., “A chromosomal translocation in cyclin D1-negative/cyclin D2-positive mantle cell lymphoma fuses the CCND2 gene to the IGK locus,” Blood, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 1109–1110, 2006.
- S. T. Hehn, T. M. Grogan, and T. P. Miller, “Utility of fine-needle aspiration as a diagnostic technique in lymphoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 15, pp. 3046–3052, 2004.
- Y. K. Suh, A. Shabaik, W. T. Meurer, and S. S. Shin, “Lymphoid cell aggregates: a useful clue in the fine-needle aspiration diagnosis of follicular lymphomas,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 467–471, 1997.
- O. Landgren, A. P. MacDonald, E. Tani et al., “A prospective comparison of fine-needle aspiration cytology and histopathology in the diagnosis and classification of lymphomas,” Hematology Journal, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2004.