- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Pain Research and Treatment
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 696791, 6 pages
Paracetamol and the Placebo Effect in Osteoarthritis Trials: A Missing Link?
Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Straße 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Received 12 December 2010; Accepted 27 March 2011
Academic Editor: Anna Maria Aloisi
Copyright © 2011 Henning Zeidler. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. D. Altman, M. C. Hochberg, R. W. Moskowitz, and T. J. Schnitzer, “Recommendations for the medical management of osteoarthritis of the hip and knee: 2000 update,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1905–1915, 2000.
- K. M. Jordan, N. K. Arden, M. Doherty et al., “EULAR recommendations 2003: an evidence based approach to the management of knee osteoarthritis: report of a Task Force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials (ESCISIT),” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1145–1155, 2003.
- W. Zhang, M. Doherty, N. Arden et al., “EULAR evidence based recommendations for the management of hip osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the EULAR Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutics (ESCISIT),” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 669–681, 2005.
- W. Zhang, M. Doherty, B. F. Leeb et al., “EULAR evidence based recommendations for the management of hand osteoarthritis: report of a Task Force of the EULAR Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutics (ESCISIT),” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 377–388, 2007.
- W. Zhang, J. Robertson, A. C. Jones, P. A. Dieppe, and M. Doherty, “The placebo effect and its determinants in osteoarthritis: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 1716–1723, 2008.
- T. E. Towheed, L. Maxwell, M. G. Judd, M. Catton, M. C. Hochberg, and G. Wells, “Acetaminophen for osteoarthritis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD004257, 2006.
- W. Zhang, A. Jones, and M. Doherty, “Does paracetamol (acetaminophen) reduce the pain of osteoarthritis? A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 63, no. 8, pp. 901–907, 2004.
- H. J. Williams, J. R. Ward, M. J. Egger et al., “Comparison of naproxen and acetaminophen in a two-year study of treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1196–1206, 1993.
- L. A. García Rodríguez and S. Hernández-Díaz, “Relative risk of upper gastrointestinal complications among users of acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,” Epidemiology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 570–576, 2001.
- A. Hróbjartsson and P. C. Gøtzsche, “Is the placebo powerless? An analysis of clinical trials comparing placebo with no treatment,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 21, pp. 1594–1602, 2001.
- A. Hróbjartsson and P. C. Gøtzsche, “Is the placebo powerless? Update of a systematic review with 52 new randomized trials comparing placebo with no treatment,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 256, no. 2, pp. 91–100, 2004.
- L. Vase, J. L. Riley, and D. D. Price, “A comparison of placebo effects in clinical analgesic trials versus studies of placebo analgesia,” Pain, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 443–452, 2002.
- F. G. Miller and D. L. Rosenstein, “The nature and power of the placebo effect,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 331–335, 2006.
- M. Breidert and K. Hofbauer, “Placebo: misunderstandings and prejudices,” Deutsches Arzteblatt, vol. 106, no. 46, pp. 751–755, 2009.
- J. W. J. Bijlsma and P. M. J. Welsing, “The art of medicine in treating osteoarthritis: I will please,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 67, no. 12, pp. 1653–1655, 2008.
- “The rules governing medicinal products in the European Union. Volume 10. Clinical Trials. Notice to Applicants. Chapter V. Additional Information. Questions and Answers,” http://ec.europa.eu/health/files/pharmacos/docs/doc2006/07_2006/def_imp_2006_07_27_en.pdf.
- R. Fleischmann, H. Tannenbaum, N. P. Patel, M. Notter, P. Sallstig, and J. Y. Reginster, “Long-term retention on treatment with lumiracoxib 100 mg once or twice daily compared with celecoxib 200 mg once daily: a randomised controlled trial in patients with osteoarthritis,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 9, article 32, 2008.
- “Guidance for industry. Clinical development programs for drugs, devices, and biological products intended for the treatment of osteoarthritis,” http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM071577.pdf.
- “Committee for medicinal products for human use. Guideline on clinical investigation of medicinal products used in the treatment of osteoarthritis,” http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/09/WC500003440.pdf.
- J. L. Frestedt, M. A. Kuskowski, and J. L. Zenk, “A natural seaweed derived mineral supplement (Aquamin F) for knee osteoarthritis: a randomised, placebo controlled pilot study,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 8, no. 1, article 7, 2009.
- J. Karlsson, A. Pivodic, D. Aguirre, and T. J. Schnitzer, “Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of the cyclooxygenase-inhibiting nitric oxide donator naproxcinod in treating osteoarthritis of the hip or knee,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1290–1297, 2009.
- A. Jacquet, P. O. Girodet, A. Pariente, K. Forest, L. Mallet, and N. Moore, “Phytalgic, a food supplement, vs placebo in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee or hip: a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 11, no. 6, p. R192, 2009.
- K. Krüger, M. Klasser, J. Mössinger, and U. Becker, “Oxaceprol—a randomised, placebo-controlled clinical study in osteoarthritis with a non-conventional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2007.
- A. Puopolo, J. A. Boice, J. L. Fidelholtz et al., “A randomized placebo-controlled trial comparing the efficacy of etoricoxib 30 mg and ibuprofen 2400 mg for the treatment of patients with osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1348–1356, 2007.
- J. Y. Reginster, K. Malmstrom, A. Mehta et al., “Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of etoricoxib compared with naproxen in two, 138-week randomised studies of patients with osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 945–951, 2007.
- A. D. Sawitzke, H. Shi, M. F. Finco et al., “Clinical efficacy and safety of glucosamine, chondroitin sulphate, their combination, celecoxib or placebo taken to treat osteoarthritis of the knee: 2-year results from GAIT,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 1459–1464, 2010.
- T. J. Schnitzer, A. Kivitz, H. Frayssinet, and B. Duquesroix, “Efficacy and safety of naproxcinod in the treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a 13-week prospective, randomized, multicenter study,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 629–639, 2010.
- K. G. A. Yang, N. J. H. Raijmakers, E. R. A. van Arkel et al., “Autologous interleukin-1 receptor antagonist improves function and symptoms in osteoarthritis when compared to placebo in a prospective randomized controlled trial,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 498–505, 2008.
- C. Thorne, A. D. Beaulieu, D. J. Callaghan et al., “A randomized, double-blind, crossover comparison of the efficacy and safety of oral controlled-release tramadol and placebo in patients with painful osteoarthritis,” Pain Research and Management, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 93–102, 2008.
- D. D. Price, D. G. Finniss, and F. Benedetti, “A comprehensive review of the placebo effect: recent advances and current thought,” Annual Review of Psychology, vol. 59, pp. 565–590, 2008.
- D. G. Finniss, T. J. Kaptchuk, F. Miller, and F. Benedetti, “Biological, clinical, and ethical advances of placebo effects,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9715, pp. 686–695, 2010.
- D. O. Clegg, D. J. Reda, C. L. Harris et al., “Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 8, pp. 795–808, 2006.
- K. C. Farmer, “Methods for measuring and monitoring medication regimen adherence in clinical trials and clinical practice,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1074–1090, 1999.