- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Pain Research and Treatment
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 987468, 5 pages
Pain Scores Are Not Predictive of Pain Medication Utilization
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 S. First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Received 2 February 2011; Accepted 28 July 2011
Academic Editor: Anna Maria Aloisi
Copyright © 2011 Suzanne Galloway et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. S. Liu and C. L. Wu, “Effect of postoperative analgesia on major postoperative complications: a systematic update of the evidence,” Pain Medicine, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 689–702, 2007.
- D. O. Warner, “Preventing postoperative pulmonary complications: the role of the anesthesiologist,” Anesthesiology, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 1467–1472, 2000.
- “Perioperative pulmonary complications for patients undergoing noncardiothoracic surgery: a guideline from the American College of Physicians,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 144, no. 8, pp. 575–580, 2006.
- A. Meissner, N. Rolf, and H. Van Aken, “Thoracic epidural anesthesia and the patient with heart disease: benefits, risks, and controversies,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 517–528, 1997.
- D. C. Warltier, P. S. Pagel, and J. R. Kersten, “Approaches to the prevention of perioperative myocardial ischemia,” Anesthesiology, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 253–259, 2000.
- M. G. Mythen, “Postoperative gastrointestinal tract dysfunction,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 196–204, 2005.
- R. J. Fotiadis, S. Badvie, M. D. Weston, and T. G. Allen-Mersh, “Epidural analgesia in gastrointestinal surgery,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 828–841, 2004.
- O. Akca, M. Melischek, T. Scheck et al., “Postoperative pain and subcutaneous oxygen tension,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9172, pp. 41–42, 1999.
- A. Buvanendran, J. S. Kroin, C. J. D. Valle, M. Kari, M. Moric, and K. J. Tuman, “Perioperative oral pregabalin reduces chronic pain after total knee arthroplasty: a prospective, randomized, controlled trial,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 199–207, 2010.
- H. Kehlet, T. S. Jensen, and C. J. Woolf, “Persistent postsurgical pain: risk factors and prevention,” The Lancet, vol. 367, no. 9522, pp. 1618–1625, 2006.
- T. Callesen, K. Bech, and H. Kehlet, “Prospective study of chronic pain after groin hernia repair,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 86, no. 12, pp. 1528–1531, 1999.
- T. Tasmuth, A. M. Estlanderb, and E. Kalso, “Effect of present pain and mood on the memory of past postoperative pain in women treated surgically for breast cancer,” Pain, vol. 68, no. 2-3, pp. 343–347, 1996.
- J. Katz, M. Jackson, B. P. Kavanagh, and A. N. Sandler, “Acute pain after thoracic surgery predicts long-term post-thoracotomy pain,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 1996.
- E. DuPree, L. Martin, R. Anderson et al., “Improving patient satisfaction with pain management using six sigma tools,” The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 343–350, 2009.
- D. D. Price, F. M. Bush, S. Long, and S. W. Harkins, “A comparison of pain measurement characteristics of mechanical visual analogue and simple numerical rating scales,” Pain, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 217–226, 1994.
- D. D. Price, P. A. McGrath, A. Rafii, and B. Buckingham, “The validation of visual analogue scales as ratio scale measures for chronic and experimental pain,” Pain, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 1983.
- D. D. Price, S. W. Harkins, and C. Baker, “Sensory affective relationships among different types of clinical and experimental pain,” Pain, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 297–307, 1987.
- J. B. Wade, D. D. Price, R. M. Hamer, S. M. Schwartz, and R. P. Hart, “An emotional component analysis of chronic pain,” Pain, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 303–310, 1990.
- D. D. Price and S. W. Harkins, “The combined used of visual analogue scales and experimental pain in providing standardized assessment of clinical pain,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 3, pp. 3–11, 1987.
- S. W. Harkins, D. D. Price, and J. Braith, “Effects of extraversion and neuroticism on experimental pain, clinical pain, and illness behavior,” Pain, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 209–218, 1989.
- S. L. Wallenstein, G. Heidrich, R. Kaiko, and R. W. Houde, “Clinical evaluation of mild analgesics: the measurement of clinical pain,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 10, supplement 2, pp. 319S–327S, 1980.
- R. A. Seymour, “The use of pain scales in assessing the efficacy of analgesics in post-operative dental pain,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 441–444, 1982.
- D. D. Price, A. von der Gruen, J. Miller, A. Rafii, and C. Price, “A psychophysical analysis of morphine analgesia,” Pain, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 261–269, 1985.
- D. D. Price, S. W. Harkins, A. Rafii, and C. Price, “A simultaneous comparison of fentanyl's analgesic effects on experimental and clinical pain,” Pain, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 197–203, 1986.
- C. A. Anderson, M. Chimhanda, J. Sloan, S. Galloway, J. Sinacore, and L. Brubaker, “Phenazopyridine does not improve catheter discomfort following gynecologic surgery,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 204, no. 3, pp. 267.e1–267.e3, 2011.
- SPSS (2006) SPSS—pc Version 16.0, SPSS, Chicago.
- M. U. Werner, P. Duun, and H. Kehlet, “Prediction of postoperative pain by preoperative nociceptive responses to heat stimulation,” Anesthesiology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 115–119, 2004.
- H. Lundblad, A. Kreicbergs, and K. A. Jansson, “Prediction of persistent pain after total knee replacement for osteoarthritis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 166–171, 2008.
- P. F. White and H. Kehlet, “Improving postoperative pain management: what are the unresolved issues?” Anesthesiology, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 220–225, 2010.