- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Pain Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 143579, 5 pages
Evaluation of Lercanidipine in Paclitaxel-Induced Neuropathic Pain Model in Rat: A Preliminary Study
Department of Pharmacology, PGIMER, Chandigarh 160012, India
Received 9 July 2011; Revised 29 October 2011; Accepted 20 November 2011
Academic Editor: Donald A. Simone
Copyright © 2012 Lekha Saha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. M. Foley, “Opioids and chronic neuropathic pain,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 13, pp. 1279–1281, 2003.
- P. Hansson, “Neuropathic pain: clinical characteristics and diagnostic workup,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 2002.
- D. Bouhassira, M. Lantéri-Minet, N. Attal, B. Laurent, and C. Touboul, “Prevalence of chronic pain with neuropathic characteristics in the general population,” Pain, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 380–387, 2008.
- R. H. Dworkin, A. B. O'Connor, M. Backonja et al., “Pharmacologic management of neuropathic pain: evidence-based recommendations,” Pain, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 237–251, 2007.
- R. C. Polomano, A. J. Mannes, U. S. Clark, and G. J. Bennett, “A painful peripheral neuropathy in the rat produced by the chemotherapeutic drug, paclitaxel,” Pain, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 293–304, 2001.
- E. A. Matthews and A. H. Dickenson, “Effects of ethosuximide, a T-type Ca+2 channel blocker, on dorsal horn neuronal responses in rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 25, pp. 2561–2569, 2007.
- W. L. D'Armour and D. L. Smith, “Method of determining loss of pain sensation,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 72, pp. 74–90, 1941.
- H. S. Na, J. S. Han, K. H. Ko, and S. K. Hong, “A behavioral model for peripheral neuropathy produced in rat's tail by inferior caudal trunk injury,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 177, no. 1-2, pp. 50–52, 1994.
- P. Dellemijn, “Are opioids effective in relieving neuropathic pain?” Pain, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 453–462, 1999.
- C. D. Scripture, W. D. Figg, and A. Sparreboom, “Peripheral neuropathy induced by paclitaxel: recent insights and future perspectives,” Current Neuropharmacology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 165–172, 2006.
- E. A. Matthews and A. H. Dickenson, “Effects of ethosuximide, a T-type Ca2+ channel blocker, on dorsal horn neuronal responses in rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 415, no. 2-3, pp. 141–149, 2001.
- E. A. Matthews and A. H. Dickenson, “Effects of spinally delivered N- and P-type voltage-dependent calcium channel antagonists on dorsal horn neuronal responses in a rat model of neuropathy,” Pain, vol. 92, no. 1-2, pp. 235–246, 2001.
- E. A. Matthews, L. A. Bee, G. J. Stephens, and A. H. Dickenson, “The Cav2.3 calcium channel antagonist SNX-482 reduces dorsal horn neuronal responses in a rat model of chronic neuropathic pain,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 3561–3569, 2007.
- R. Suzuki, W. Rahman, L. J. Rygh, M. Webber, S. P. Hunt, and A. H. Dickenson, “Spinal-supraspinal serotonergic circuits regulating neuropathic pain and its treatment with gabapentin,” Pain, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 292–303, 2005.
- D. Hota, R. Joshi, A. Srinivasan, and A. Chakraborti, Effect of lercanidipine in formalin induced facial pain model in rat, Department of Pharmacology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India, unpublished data.
- K. Okubo, T. Takahashi, F. Sekiguchi et al., “Inhibition of T-type calcium channels and hydrogen sulfide-forming enzyme reverses paclitaxel-evoked neuropathic hyperalgesia in rats,” Neuroscience, vol. 188, pp. 148–156, 2011.
- S. M. Todorovic and V. Jevtovic-Todorovic, “T-type voltage-gated calcium channels as targets for the development of novel pain therapies,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. 484–495, 2011.
- S. J. L. Flatters and G. J. Bennett, “Ethosuximide reverses paclitaxel- and vincristine-induced painful peripheral neuropathy,” Pain, vol. 109, no. 1-2, pp. 150–161, 2004.
- T. Kawashiri, N. Egashira, Y. Itoh et al., “Neurotropin reverses paclitaxel-induced neuropathy without affecting anti-tumour efficacy,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 154–163, 2009.
- V. Chentanez, S. Sanguanrungsirigul, and N. Panyasawad, “Effects of ganglioside on paclitaxel (Taxol) induced neuropathy in rats,” Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 449–456, 2003.
- V. Chentanez, N. Thanomsridejchai, N. Duangmardphon et al., “Ganglioside GM1 (porcine) ameliorates paclitaxel-induced neuropathy in rats,” Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 50–57, 2009.
- S. J. L. Flatters, W. H. Xiao, and G. J. Bennett, “Acetyl-L-carnitine prevents and reduces paclitaxel-induced painful peripheral neuropathy,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 397, no. 3, pp. 219–223, 2006.