- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Pain Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 256024, 6 pages
Sarcoidosis and Pain Caused by Small-Fiber Neuropathy
1Department of Anesthesiology, Leiden University Medical Center, P5Q, Postbus 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
2Department of Neurology, Diaconessenhuis Leiden, Leiden, The Netherlands
Received 29 June 2012; Accepted 1 October 2012
Academic Editor: Jeffrey J. Borckardt
Copyright © 2012 Lara Heij et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Costabel and G. W. Hunninghake, “ATS/ERS/WASOG statement on sarcoidosis. Sarcoidosis statement committee. American thoracic society. European respiratory society. World association for sarcoidosis and other granulomatous disorders,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 14, pp. 735–737, 1999.
- S. Saidha, E. S. Sotirchos, and C. Eckstein, “Etiology of sarcoidosis: does infection play a role?” Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 133–141, 2012.
- N. J. Sweiss, K. Patterson, R. Sawaqed et al., “Rheumatologic manifestations of sarcoidosis,” Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 463–473, 2010.
- M. Bakkers, I. S. Merkies, G. Lauria et al., “Intraepidermal nerve fiber density and its application in sarcoidosis,” Neurology, vol. 73, no. 14, pp. 1142–1148, 2009.
- E. Hoitsma, M. Marziniak, C. G. Faber et al., “Small fibre neuropathy in sarcoidosis,” The Lancet, vol. 359, no. 9323, pp. 2085–2086, 2002.
- E. Hoitsma, J. P. Reulen, M. Baets De, M. Drent, F. Spaans, and C. G. Faber, “Small fiber neuropathy: a common and important clinical disorder,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 227, no. 1, pp. 119–130, 2004.
- E. Hoitsma, M. Drent, E. Verstraete et al., “Abnormal warm and cold sensation thresholds suggestive of small-fibre neuropathy in sarcoidosis,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 114, no. 12, pp. 2326–2333, 2003.
- J. Tavee and L. Zhou, “Small fiber neuropathy: a burning problem,” Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 76, pp. 297–305, 2009.
- S. Khan and L. Zhou, “Characterization of non-length-dependent small-fiber sensory neuropathy,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 86–91, 2012.
- A. Hovaguimian and C. H. Gibbons, “Diagnosis and treatment of pain in small-fiber neuropathy,” Current Pain and Headache Reports, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 193–200, 2011.
- M. Bakkers, C. G. Faber, M. Drent et al., “Pain and autonomic dysfunction in patients with sarcoidosis and small fibre neuropathy,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 257, no. 12, pp. 2086–2090, 2010.
- E. K. Krumova, C. Geber, A. Westermann, and C. Maier, “Neuropathic pain: is quantitative sensory testing helpful?” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 393–402, 2012.
- R. D. Treede, J. Lorenz, and U. Baumgartner, “Clinical usefulness of laser-evoked potentials,” Neurophysiologie Clinique, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 303–314, 2003.
- G. Lauria, D. R. Cornblath, O. Johansson et al., “EFNS guidelines on the use of skin biopsy in the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathy,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 747–758, 2005.
- G. Devigili, V. Tugnoli, P. Penza et al., “The diagnostic criteria for small fibre neuropathy: from symptoms to neuropathology,” Brain, vol. 131, no. 7, pp. 1912–1925, 2008.
- C. Han, J. G. Hoeijmakers, H. S. Ahn, P. Zhao, P. Shah, G. Lauria, et al., “Nav1.7-related small fiber neuropathy: impaired slow-inactivation and DRG neuron hyperexcitability,” Neurology, vol. 78, no. 21, pp. 1635–1643, 2012.
- R. P. Baughman, E. E. Lower, and M. Drent, “Inhibitors of tumor necrosis factor (TNF) in sarcoidosis: who, what, and how to use them,” Sarcoidosis, Vasculitis and Diffuse Lung Diseases, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 76–89, 2008.
- K. C. Gorson and A. H. Ropper, “Idiopathic distal small fiber neuropathy,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavia, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 376–382, 1995.
- J. G. Parambil, J. O. Tavee, L. Zhou, K. S. Pearson, and D. A. Culver, “Efficacy of intravenous immunoglobulin for small fiber neuropathy associated with sarcoidosis,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 101–105, 2011.
- E. Hoitsma and C. G. Faber M, “Improvement of small fiber neuropathy in a sarcoidosis patient after treatment with infliximab,” Sarcoidosis, Vasculitis, and Diffuse Lung Diseases, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 73–77, 2006.
- C. Sommer and M. Schafers, “painful mononeuropathy in C57BL/Wld mice with delayed wallarian degeneration: differential effects of cytokine production and nerve regeneration on thermal and mechanical hypersensitivity,” Brain Research, vol. 784, no. 1-2, pp. 154–162, 1998.
- M. Schafers, C. Geis D Brors, T. L. Yaksh, and C. Sommer, “Anterograde transport of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in the intact and injured rat sciatic nerve,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 536–545, 2002.
- A. Opree and M. Kress, “Involvement of the proinflammatory cytokines tumor necrosis factor-alpha, IL-1 beta, and IL-6 but not IL- 8 in the development of heat hyperalgesia: effects on heat evoked calcitonin gene-related peptide release from rat skin,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 20, no. 16, pp. 6289–6293, 2000.
- M. Empl, S. Renaud, B. Erne et al., “TNF-alpha expression in painful and non-painful neuropathies,” Neurology, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 1371–1377, 2001.
- F. Q. Cunha, S. Poole, B. B. Lorenzetti, and S. H. Ferreira, “The pivotal role of tumour necrosis factor alpha in the development of inflammatory hyperalgesia,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 660–664, 1992.
- P. Fazzi, “Pharmacotherapeutic management of pulmonary sarcoidosis,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 311–320, 2003.
- M. Brownlee, H. Vlassara, and A. Cerami, “Nonenzymatic glycosylation and the pathogenesis of diabetic complications,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 527–537, 1984.
- M. Brines and A. Cerami, “Erythropoietin-mediated tissue protection: reducing collateral damage from the primary injury response,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 264, no. 5, pp. 405–432, 2008.
- M. Swartjes, A. Morariu, M. Niesters et al., “ARA290, a peptide derived from the tertiary structure of erythropoietin, produces long-term relief of neuropathic pain: an experimental study in rats and beta-common receptor knockout mice,” Anesthesiology, vol. 115, pp. 1084–1092, 2011.